how do I get objects to face camera?

Post by Brenton Fletche » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:02:21

I need to get an object to always face the camera. I've seen this used
for trees in a background where a tree texture map was applied to a
planar object and then an expression was written to keep the planar
object always facing the camera, so one couldn't tell that the trees
were just flat texture maps.

I've gone through the manuals, and I've figured out how to get an object
to spin or translate based on a camera's attribute, but I can't figure
out how to get the object to stay put and face the camera as the camera
moves through the scene.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks,
Brenton

how do I get objects to face camera?

Post by Marco Vitolini Naldin » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:10:18

select camera
shiftselect object
AnimMenu: Constrain / Aim
have fun

Quote:> I need to get an object to always face the camera. I've seen this used
> for trees in a background where a tree texture map was applied to a
> planar object and then an expression was written to keep the planar
> object always facing the camera, so one couldn't tell that the trees
> were just flat texture maps.

> I've gone through the manuals, and I've figured out how to get an object
> to spin or translate based on a camera's attribute, but I can't figure
> out how to get the object to stay put and face the camera as the camera
> moves through the scene.

> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

> Thanks,
> Brenton

1. 3D object to face the camera

I have a 3D object that I always want to face towards the camera.  The
camera can move freely around the 3D object.  Is there an algorithm that
I can use to calculate the transformation matrix to use in D3D Immediate
Mode to do this?  Also, is there a way to restrict which axis can rotate
(e.g. it can only rotate in Y, etc.)?

Thanks,
HB

2. small game in development

3. how to calc - object facing camera

4. opengl's stacks

5. PS CS camera raw, getting full camera EXIF data from raw file into jpeg

6. Wacom Digitizers and GIMP

7. Face Shaping - How Is It Done In This Video

8. Selecting objects...

9. How are human faces done?

10. getting size of TImage object (or any object)

11. It's done, done, done!

12. Project getting underway, am I doing it right?

13. Getting a job doing 3D...