maya modeling book

Post by Francisc » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:27:36

I'm learning maya and I bought the book "Maya 4.5 fundamentals". This was a
very bad choice, I dont know why it had so good comments in amazon.
The tutorials on the book only tell you exactly what to do, without
explaining you anything about what you are doing it or what would happen if
you used another option to do something, or why using tool A instead of
tool B, etc.
I really learned nothing from this book, I need a book that explains
concepts and then go to the practice. And I'm looking for a book that
teaches modeling; rendering, lighting and all that can wait, but I want to
be able to make good models first.
But I didn't find anything specific on modeling except this one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556220405/qid=1057033875
That is not out and it doesn't have any description.
What books would you recomend me?
Thank you

Francisco

maya modeling book

Post by Theo » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:43:23

Quote:> I'm learning maya and I bought the book "Maya 4.5 fundamentals". This
> was a very bad choice, I dont know why it had so good comments in
> amazon. The tutorials on the book only tell you exactly what to do,
> without explaining you anything about what you are doing it or what
> would happen if you used another option to do something, or why using
> tool A instead of tool B, etc.

Most such books give you a good starting point but you will learn more by
experimenting. If you want to know what would happen using tool B instead
of A, try it and see. You would be better to get comfortable learning how
to figure a program out on your own.... after using a book for basic
skills.

"good" models are also hard to define. Good how? Good in terms of being
extremely detailed? Or good in terms of making a predetermined level of
complexity look detailed... when it is not? It will vary depending on what
your target is... games, video, cdrom, internet.

maya modeling book

Post by Martin Heffel » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:01:09

On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 12:27:36 -0300, Francisco

>I'm learning maya and I bought the book "Maya 4.5 fundamentals". This was a
>very bad choice,

Fransisco, I have been struggling with the same thing. I followed the
tutorials which came with the PLE, but then ran into a book which
helped me very much to go on my way (still learning from it). It
explains you how to do things (teaching practical workflow), but
further on in the practical examples, the description of what to do
sometimes get very brief, and at least I have to think a few times
what they exactly mean. The book is called "Maya 4.5 Savvy" and is
published by Sybex. It comes with the 4.5 PLE for Mac and PC. Price
is US$60, but you might find it cheaper (here in Aus it is AU$130
but I bought it on a sale with 20% off :) ).

cheers

-martin- (just a happy reader/student of the book)
--
filmmaker/DP/editor,
Sydney, Australia

"ON ENTRE OK, ON SORT KO"

maya modeling book

Post by Kalido » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:05:03

try with these www.thegnomonworkshop.com
very expensive but much better than any tutorial you will ever find imo...
they really explain the "why's" you want, and go beyond that
very simple to understand, and all compressed in just a few hours of
tutoring
of course they don't explain everything you need to know but give you a
perfect start
good in combination with a manual/complete book in any case

Quote:> I'm learning maya and I bought the book "Maya 4.5 fundamentals". This was
> very bad choice, I dont know why it had so good comments in amazon.
> The tutorials on the book only tell you exactly what to do, without
> explaining you anything about what you are doing it or what would happen
if
> you used another option to do something, or why using tool A instead of
> tool B, etc.
> I really learned nothing from this book, I need a book that explains
> concepts and then go to the practice. And I'm looking for a book that
> teaches modeling; rendering, lighting and all that can wait, but I want to
> be able to make good models first.
> But I didn't find anything specific on modeling except this one:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1556220405/qid=1057033875
> That is not out and it doesn't have any description.
> What books would you recomend me?
> Thank you

> Francisco

maya modeling book

Post by davi » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:40:43

IMHO, forget abt everything...start with www.simplymaya.com.

 it's THE BEST to start with...try the free tutorials there n u'll
 understand why.

 ~dave.

maya modeling book

Post by Francisc » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:35:23

Ok, thank you, I will try to experiment all I can and learn from that. But
something that is hard to learn experimenting is technique, how to do
certain things that I dont have idea on how are they done and maybe I wont
find out unless someone tells me how it is done.
I'm interested in organic modeling, how about a character book or something
like that?, are they too advanced?
BTW, I saw one of the Gnomon DVD's that a friend have, and I agree, they are
great, but unfortunatelly, too expensive for my budget.

Francisco

maya modeling book

Post by Theo » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:27:52

Quote:> I'm interested in organic modeling, how about a character book or
> something like that?, are they too advanced?

Look at "digital character animation"... there are three of them I think.
They are not program specific however and focus more on method than how to
actually do it with a particular program.

maya modeling book

Post by Tom » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:00:24

I think there is a book for modeling and animating just for maya. just do a
search for maya on amazon or bn.com

> > I'm interested in organic modeling, how about a character book or
> > something like that?, are they too advanced?

> Look at "digital character animation"... there are three of them I think.
> They are not program specific however and focus more on method than how to
> actually do it with a particular program.

maya modeling book

Post by nirsu » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 07:49:33

Francisco

You know what this is strange,

I got both the Maya 4 Fundamentlas and the MAy 4.5 Saavy and found that the
1st one is so much clearer and its videos are great for beginners.

I thought that Saavy will help me into the advanced Maya issues only to find
that it really talks alot but teaches none.

I also got myself the Alias 4 Book bundle which was (still ???) on their
webstore and even there you get very little modeling being taught

You can save yourself some money and download the Learning Maya version 2.5
PDF which is free on the web.

You get plenty of modeling techniques there

and the most important thing - get as many video tutorials as you can - I
suggest you try digital-tutors , SimplyMaya , 3D-Palace and others for these

Cheers

Nir
http://users.actcom.co.il/sysoft/maya/

1. learning maya now and ART OF MAYA book

howdy guys,

so at work, i took a dip in the 3dsmax pool and it seems like i'm now
getting thrown into the vast churning sea that is maya.

our next couple of games will  be exported straight from maya into the
gaming engines (they already programmed the stuff... sigh) so i'll have to
be learning yet another software pkg.

however, thanks to L[6]'s greatly improved and expanded export/import
capability, i'll still be able to do a great deal of actual work in my app
of choice, L[6]!

THANKS NEWTEK!

(everyone else at work whose app of choice is 3dsmax is still trying to
figure out how to export textured models from max into maya!  )

anyhoo,

we recently got the book ART OF MAYA in at work and my gosh, it is such a
GORGEOUS VOLUME!!!  full color on EVERY PAGE, description with clarity to
spare and brevity to boot!

tremendous background information and technical detail imparted effortlessly
and cool articles on star wars and game production notes where they
belong -- IN THE BACK....

i really want a lw book like this!  yes, it would cost $80 but i personally
would buy it without blinking.  heck, i'm considering purchasing another
copy of the maya book for myself!

and in perusing over the book, i am reminded that nurbs take a bit longer
and a bit more effort... but they are really elegant.

oh well, back to the books.

jin

2. SGI pointer Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

3. Maya Book 4 Sale: Maya Digital Effects Animation

4. 3D mapping

5. new book on maya 4 // neues buch zu maya 4

6. button filter

7. Maya 4.5 diary with 2D and 3D fluids // Polish book on Maya 4

8. Erstes Buch ├╝ber Maya 4 erschienen // First Maya 4 Book Published (in German)

9. Maya Net RENDERING Free Software and MAYA BOOK

10. russian maya book; and other books/DVDs

11. Maya 1.0 models in Maya 2

12. MAYA MAYA MAYA MAYA MAYA