book: Learning Maya | Rendering

Post by Tom » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 03:21:20

Has anyone read this book? What sort of information does it give about
hypershade? Does it have any good tutorials that demonstrate how it works on
a more complex level than just making different materials and how to give
them bump maps? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

book: Learning Maya | Rendering

Post by MikeWh » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:55:20

Quote:> Has anyone read this book? What sort of information does it give about
> hypershade? Does it have any good tutorials that demonstrate how it works
on
> a more complex level than just making different materials and how to give
> them bump maps? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't want to write a complete book report, but the short version is that
I liked it, found it worthwhile, and learned quite a bit from it. Of
particular help were explanations about depth map shadows and artifacts, and
basically the how and why of certain material, lighting, and rendering
parameters. It does go on a bit on how to build effects, but more from a
problem solving view than the user-guide how to, again with insight on what
causes the problems, and how to fix or workaround them.

book: Learning Maya | Rendering

Post by Tom » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:26:59

Im new at Maya, so I guess the book would help me. Im now wondering if a new
book will be out covering Mental Ray, since it used more sophisticated
algorithms, and does some things for you..like caustics. Thanks for the
info.. I appreciate it.

Tom

> > Has anyone read this book? What sort of information does it give about
> > hypershade? Does it have any good tutorials that demonstrate how it
works
> on
> > a more complex level than just making different materials and how to
give
> > them bump maps? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

> I don't want to write a complete book report, but the short version is
that
> I liked it, found it worthwhile, and learned quite a bit from it. Of
> particular help were explanations about depth map shadows and artifacts,
and
> basically the how and why of certain material, lighting, and rendering
> parameters. It does go on a bit on how to build effects, but more from a
> problem solving view than the user-guide how to, again with insight on
what
> causes the problems, and how to fix or workaround them.

1. learning maya now and ART OF MAYA book

howdy guys,

so at work, i took a dip in the 3dsmax pool and it seems like i'm now
getting thrown into the vast churning sea that is maya.

our next couple of games will  be exported straight from maya into the
gaming engines (they already programmed the stuff... sigh) so i'll have to
be learning yet another software pkg.

however, thanks to L[6]'s greatly improved and expanded export/import
capability, i'll still be able to do a great deal of actual work in my app
of choice, L[6]!

THANKS NEWTEK!

(everyone else at work whose app of choice is 3dsmax is still trying to
figure out how to export textured models from max into maya!  )

anyhoo,

we recently got the book ART OF MAYA in at work and my gosh, it is such a
GORGEOUS VOLUME!!!  full color on EVERY PAGE, description with clarity to
spare and brevity to boot!

tremendous background information and technical detail imparted effortlessly
and cool articles on star wars and game production notes where they
belong -- IN THE BACK....

i really want a lw book like this!  yes, it would cost $80 but i personally
would buy it without blinking.  heck, i'm considering purchasing another
copy of the maya book for myself!

and in perusing over the book, i am reminded that nurbs take a bit longer
and a bit more effort... but they are really elegant.

oh well, back to the books.

jin

2. Bug in gnuplot?

3. Maya Net RENDERING Free Software and MAYA BOOK

4. HP printer NOT-HP LAN card NEEDED!!!!

5. AW-Book: Learning Maya 3

6. Learning Maya books

7. R: Learning Maya books

8. Learning Maya 1 book