Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by Stuart Go » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have just put together a Windows NT workstation to augment my SGI. I
was wondering if any one out there had done the same thing? I am tryng to
find out if the tcp-ip hooks with the NT software will allow the SGI to
talk to the NT machine? Is there any additional software that is
required? If anyone out there has any answwers, I'd love to hear. I that
that from what I hear about NT software sophistication it's quuite
possible that many of you out there will soon be in the same position.
Please advise...............thanks

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by John Fou » Thu, 24 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have just put together a Windows NT workstation to augment my SGI. I
>was wondering if any one out there had done the same thing? I am tryng to
>find out if the tcp-ip hooks with the NT software will allow the SGI to
>talk to the NT machine? Is there any additional software that is
>required?

Yes, there's a package called Samba that makes the SGI act like
a LAN Manager machine, which means it's very easy to connect
the WinNT machine to it.  Think of this as a Microsoftian NFS server.

Samba is available as part of the Linux distribution.  It is
freeware and in active development.  There's even newsgroups
related to it.  You can easily recompile it for SGI.  If you
like, I can do that for you.  I need to refresh my version,
and Martin Foster was looking for the latest version, too.

- John Foust (who has Macs, PCs, WinNT, Amiga, MIPS, etc. on his net)

Syndesis Corporation
235 South Main Street
Jefferson, WI 53549
(414) 674-5200
(414) 674-6363 FAX

http://www.webmaster.com:80/syndesis/
SIGGRAPH 95 Booth 2537

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by BigFatCH » Tue, 29 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I know with NT server you can FTP and has full support for TCP-IP,
I haven't been able to get the NT- NFS to work with the SGI yet.
You can bet I'll be calling John Foust!
Charles Ernst
Studio E

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by Miles Ritte » Sun, 03 Sep 1995 04:00:00

NFS is probably the the easiest solution but not the cheapest.  I
am using Chameleon32NFS server for NT from Netmanage (cost around
$350 at PC-Expo).  Not very well documented and not the fastest
NFS around but Netmanage is a pretty good company when it comes
to TCP/IP stuff.  I believe they invented the original Winsock.

Anyway, it works transparently in both directions.  SGI
filesystems appear in filemanager as network drives, and NT
filesystems appear as normal mounted file systems to the SGI.  I
use NFS to connect my SGI's together as well.

Miles Ritter
Panoptic Imaging
Titusville, N.J.

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by Mark Rein (Ep » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Miles,

Quote:>Anyway, it works transparently in both directions.  SGI
>filesystems appear in filemanager as network drives, and NT
>filesystems appear as normal mounted file systems to the SGI.  I
>use NFS to connect my SGI's together as well.

Did you have to buy NFS from SGI separately or is it included in Irix
5.3? If you had to buy it, how much did it cost per SGI?

Mark Rein,
Epic MegaGames.

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by imtec » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Did you have to buy NFS from SGI separately or is it included in Irix
>5.3? If you had to buy it, how much did it cost per SGI?

Yes you have to buy NFS from SGI (sigh). Price in NZ was $1300 dollars.
Don't know how that relates to US dollars.

Samba is a much cheaper option (i.e free) but it's only seamless
one way (i.e NT would be able to connect to the SGI and access files
directly (including long filename support) but you only get an FTPish
connection out of the SGI  to the rest of the network.

I'm currently using Samba on an Indy running IRIX 5.3 with a mixed
WfWg and WARP  connect (and a few lantastic machines also) network
and aside from WARP being kind of flakey running DOS boxes it seems to
work OK.

My advice; try Samba and if it doesn't work out the way you want bite the
bullet and buy NFS.

Jon Allitt
JJ Graphics
Wellington
New Zealand

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by Mark Rein (Ep » Wed, 06 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Jon,

Quote:>Samba is a much cheaper option (i.e free) but it's only seamless
>one way (i.e NT would be able to connect to the SGI and access files
>directly (including long filename support) but you only get an FTPish
>connection out of the SGI  to the rest of the network.

I've never heard of Samba. Can you tell me more about it?  Where does
one find it and how hard is it to set up?  You mention that it will
work with NT, will it also work with Windows 95 or DOS?

NFS at NZ$1,300 (which is about US$900) per machine is not an option.
I'm sick and tired of paying SGI for things they should have built
into the operating system for free.

Quote:>I'm currently using Samba on an Indy running IRIX 5.3 with a mixed
>WfWg and WARP  connect (and a few lantastic machines also) network
>and aside from WARP being kind of flakey running DOS boxes it seems to
>work OK.

That sounds pretty good to me. How do you connect to Samba using WfWg?
What kind of a connection does it look like?

Quote:>My advice; try Samba and if it doesn't work out the way you want bite the
>bullet and buy NFS.

Will do if you tell me where I can get it from.

BTW, New Zealand is a beautiful country. I just got home from there
yesterday.

Mark Rein,
Epic MegaGames.

Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI

Post by pi.. » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Can WIN NT 3.51 talk to SGI
>Date: Tue, 05 Sep 1995 06:07:46 GMT
>Miles,
>>Anyway, it works transparently in both directions.  SGI
>>filesystems appear in filemanager as network drives, and NT
>>filesystems appear as normal mounted file systems to the SGI.  I
>>use NFS to connect my SGI's together as well.
>Did you have to buy NFS from SGI separately or is it included in Irix
>5.3? If you had to buy it, how much did it cost per SGI?
>Mark Rein,
>Epic MegaGames.

It costs $500.00 US. I am currently using it with NT NFS from Intergraph. It
works slick too! I might add. NT NFS costs $600.00 for server and client.

1. OpenGL NT 3.51 app won't work under NT 4.0

I have an OpenGL application which worked under NT 3.51, but won't under
NT 4.0.  One problem is that if I suspend the context using
wglMakeCurrent (NULL, NULL), and then assign it again using
wglMakeCurrent, I get an illegal memory access in __glInitDepth16 for
using a 0 pointer, with the following stack.

CRotateXlate::do_xforms() line 1614

Another problem is that after drawing an object around 100 times, it
draws very slowly.  I haven't had time to look into this one.  I assume
that these problems are some quirk with NT 4.0, or with OpenGL for NT
4.0.  Has anyone had similar problems and knows the solution?

Thanks.

--

Software Consultant     www.vianova.com/~vianova
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor products for Windows 95/NT

2. combine PM-files

3. win nt 3.51/4.0 with same cfg?

4. Need Help with Epson II printer

5. suche lw 5.0 upd fuer intel win nt 3.51

6. HELP Rendering AVI

7. SetPixelFormat() failure in Win NT 3.51

8. Artlandia SymmetryWorks demo

9. What is the best Mpeg reader on Win 95 or NT 3.51 or 4.0

10. PM6 + Win NT 3.51?

11. illustrator/ATM on win NT 3.51

12. Corel 4.0 and Win NT 3.51

13. NT Workstation 3.51 as Display for SGI OpenGL?