Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Cynthi » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:05:35

Hi,

Could anyone point me to a spot where I can get information on the nature of
the vector graphics which Maya 5 exports to Flash?

My understanding of them is that they are only outline graphics - no shading
or fills.

Are there any visual examples of work produced with the data Maya has
exported?

I would very much like to understand their potential and see if it's a
technique that I could consider when it comes to producing web graphics and
animation in particular.

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Tetsu » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:47:22

Quote:> Hi,

> Could anyone point me to a spot where I can get information on the nature
of
> the vector graphics which Maya 5 exports to Flash?

> My understanding of them is that they are only outline graphics - no
shading
> or fills.

> Are there any visual examples of work produced with the data Maya has
> exported?

> I would very much like to understand their potential and see if it's a
> technique that I could consider when it comes to producing web graphics
and
> animation in particular.

Here is an example that comes with Maya (copyright Alias|Wavefront,
probably) :
I chose one of the complexer and thus bigger files to show you the
limitations.
As you can see, it's pretty clever though. The way you usually do it is
animate half in Maya and half in Flash though, I guess.
Here's the example :

www.tetsuo.be/boat.swf

--
Tetsuo

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Theo » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:54:22

ops.be:

Quote:> As you can see, it's pretty clever though. The way you usually do it is
> animate half in Maya and half in Flash though, I guess.

it seems a very large graphic clip is exported for every frame. Flash plays
them one by one and it looks as if its animated. Just like traditional
animation. But I suspect there are no tweens or any other flash animation
methods used.

Post by Tetsu » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 04:06:44

> ops.be:

> > As you can see, it's pretty clever though. The way you usually do it is
> > animate half in Maya and half in Flash though, I guess.

> it seems a very large graphic clip is exported for every frame. Flash
plays
> them one by one and it looks as if its animated. Just like traditional
> animation. But I suspect there are no tweens or any other flash animation
> methods used.

No, of course not..
Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms would
require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

--
Tetsuo

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Theo » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 03:01:05

ops.be:

Quote:> No, of course not..
> Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms would
> require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

I dunno if it would be impossible. But there would have to be alot of
assumptions made when an object moves to and from the camera.... in the
sense that it has to be faked by using scale in flash. I wouldnt even want
to think about trying to rotate something ;o)

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Artsy-TEC » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:07:25

check out http://www.erain.com (swift 3D)
Maya uses their Ravix engine for vector output

Quote:> Hi,

> Could anyone point me to a spot where I can get information on the nature
of
> the vector graphics which Maya 5 exports to Flash?

> My understanding of them is that they are only outline graphics - no
shading
> or fills.

> Are there any visual examples of work produced with the data Maya has
> exported?

> I would very much like to understand their potential and see if it's a
> technique that I could consider when it comes to producing web graphics
and
> animation in particular.

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Dean Sire » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:40:49

Quote:>> it seems a very large graphic clip is exported for every frame. Flash plays
>> them one by one and it looks as if its animated. Just like traditional
>> animation. But I suspect there are no tweens or any other flash animation
>> methods used.

> No, of course not..
> Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms would
> require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

Kinda defeats the purpose of using Flash, doesn't it?  Flash is supposed to make
small files look good.  Wouldn't exporting every frame make a larger file than
the 3D model?  Wouldn't it be nearly as large as an MPEG?  Isn't there a
widespread 3D format for internet graphics?

Post by Tetsu » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:54:29

It was 10-07-2003 03:40 when Dean Siren said :

Quote:>>> it seems a very large graphic clip is exported for every frame. Flash plays
>>> them one by one and it looks as if its animated. Just like traditional
>>> animation. But I suspect there are no tweens or any other flash animation
>>> methods used.

>> No, of course not..
>> Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms would
>> require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

> Kinda defeats the purpose of using Flash, doesn't it?  Flash is supposed to
> make
> small files look good.  Wouldn't exporting every frame make a larger file than
> the 3D model?  Wouldn't it be nearly as large as an MPEG?  Isn't there a
> widespread 3D format for internet graphics?

Well, it does make combining Maya with Flash post-work easier, it's not
completely useless..
One solution would of course be a 3D format so you can render it to vectors
in real-time, yes, but there's no such standard yet, it's a mess (companies
just try to make money out of it now).
There will come improvements in that field eventually I think; Java3D ain't
that bad.

--
Tetsuo

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Jaka Zva » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:29:45

shockwave3d is quite good

> >> No, of course not..
> >> Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms
would
> >> require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

> > Kinda defeats the purpose of using Flash, doesn't it?  Flash is supposed
> > make
> > small files look good.  Wouldn't exporting every frame make a larger
file than
> > the 3D model?  Wouldn't it be nearly as large as an MPEG?  Isn't there a
> > widespread 3D format for internet graphics?

> Well, it does make combining Maya with Flash post-work easier, it's not
> completely useless..
> One solution would of course be a 3D format so you can render it to
vectors
> in real-time, yes, but there's no such standard yet, it's a mess
(companies
> just try to make money out of it now).
> There will come improvements in that field eventually I think; Java3D
ain't
> that bad.

> --
> Tetsuo

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by TomRydbe » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:14:27

Quote:>Kinda defeats the purpose of using Flash, doesn't it?  Flash is supposed to
>make small files look good.  Wouldn't exporting every frame make a larger file
>than the 3D model?  Wouldn't it be nearly as large as an MPEG?<

Flash is a vector-based graphics format.  So, each frame is like looking at the
vector graphics of a 2D Illustrator file.  This isn't THE most efficient way to
display animation, but it's far more efficient than playing through frames of
raster/bitmap graphics.

Note: with vector graphics, the actual size of the image is less of an issue,
since vector graphics can be scaled up or down without impacting the file size.
 I've noticed though, that the performance of a Flash file is impacted by
scaling it up, particularly if there's not a lot of video RAM available.

- Tom

Post by Dean Sire » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 00:29:26

Quote:>> it seems a very large graphic clip is exported for every frame. Flash plays
>> them one by one and it looks as if its animated. Just like traditional
>> animation. But I suspect there are no tweens or any other flash animation
>> methods used.

> No, of course not..
> Now that would be clever.. Yet , impossible I think, the algorithms would
> require A.I. to function properly in average circumstances..

Kinda defeats the purpose of using Flash, doesn't it?  Flash is supposed to make
small files look good.  Wouldn't exporting every frame make a larger file than
the 3D model?  Wouldn't it be nearly as large as an MPEG?  Isn't there a
widespread 3D format for internet graphics?

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Theo » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:09:29

Quote:> shockwave3d is quite good

its not bad but the file sizes are quite large. ok for special things, like
demos of a car or something, but to big to be used everywhere on a
webpage... which is what flash is turning into.

Maya 5 exports vectors to Flash?

Post by Theo » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:10:48

Quote:>  I've noticed though, that the performance of a Flash file is impacted by
> scaling it up, particularly if there's not a lot of video RAM available.

absolutely, especially if the movie speed is higher than the default.

1. free maya release AND flash export question

1.) if someone dodn't know (and a lot of you did) free maya is released.
if someone has it, post your opinion.

2.) i a software that can output flash swf's to avi or similar. i've seen
the trial version of SWF2Video but it can't be only one that exports
integrated movieclips, can it? i need options because i would like to use
flash as animation tool for broadcast quality video.

as that cat from world premiere toons would say: "Help!"

--
[ c|n ]  cathodenoise.com

2. Bitmap On PC

3. Is there a Flash export for Maya?

4. Creating a detailed bird cage

5. maya to flash vector

6. Wanted 3D Graphics Devlopers - Boston Area

7. lets get a vector export tool for maya!

8. Freeware Tiler

9. Way to convert PSP vectors to FLASH vectors?

10. Frature request for PSP 6.5: Exporting vector layers to vector image formats

11. Converting Poser Models to Macromedia Flash Vector Images

12. Export to Flash from ImageReady