Indy & Alias PA

Post by Kevin Palm » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi, I am about to get an Indy 133mhz R4600PC, 8-bit color, 32mb RAM, 1.0GB
System disk, 1280x1024, 17" monitor, Indycam  for just under $6000 as a
student.  I am also getting Alias PowerAnimator for $1500 per year as a
student (I have to give the software back when I graduate but can apply
any money spent towards the purchase of the product).  My question is, if
I add 32 more megs of RAM, will this be a good system to run PA?  Please
respond to my e-mail account.  Thank you.
Kev

--
My URL is.....
http://cent.com/users/kpalmer

Post by Jeff Ell » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Hi, I am about to get an Indy 133mhz R4600PC, 8-bit color, 32mb RAM, 1.0GB
: System disk, 1280x1024, 17" monitor, Indycam  for just under $6000 as a
: student.  I am also getting Alias PowerAnimator for $1500 per year as a
: student (I have to give the software back when I graduate but can apply
: any money spent towards the purchase of the product).  My question is, if
: I add 32 more megs of RAM, will this be a good system to run PA?  Please
: respond to my e-mail account.  Thank you.
: Kev

The machine will work great but you need more memory! Unless you are just
doing simple stuff you need a lot more memory. 64 meg will work for a start
but you need at least 96 meg if you are doing anything of much size. Also you
will be limited to the animation you can play. I am running Alias on 133mhz
indys with 96 meg as well as 64meg Indigo 2's. The more you can spend on
memory the better off you will be. With a 1 gb drive you should also strip off
any sgi demos and supplied stuff you can to have enough room for alias and
swap space.

Have fun.
--

Manager of Computing Services
Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering

Indy & Alias PA

Post by Alan Bouc » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> : Hi, I am about to get an Indy 133mhz R4600PC, 8-bit color, 32mb RAM, 1.0GB
> : System disk, 1280x1024, 17" monitor, Indycam  for just under $6000 as a
> : student.  I am also getting Alias PowerAnimator for $1500 per year as a
> : student (I have to give the software back when I graduate but can apply
> : any money spent towards the purchase of the product).  My question is, if
> : I add 32 more megs of RAM, will this be a good system to run PA?  Please
> : respond to my e-mail account.  Thank you.
> : Kev

> The machine will work great but you need more memory! Unless you are just
> doing simple stuff you need a lot more memory. 64 meg will work for a start
> but you need at least 96 meg if you are doing anything of much size. Also you
> will be limited to the animation you can play. I am running Alias on 133mhz
> indys with 96 meg as well as 64meg Indigo 2's. The more you can spend on
> memory the better off you will be. With a 1 gb drive you should also strip off
> any sgi demos and supplied stuff you can to have enough room for alias and
> swap space.

I'm assuming that you have the R4600SC CPU in your Indys- the R4600PC is
known to be extremely problematic.

--

       New York, New York

Indy & Alias PA

Post by Jeff Ell » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I'm assuming that you have the R4600SC CPU in your Indys- the R4600PC is
: known to be extremely problematic.

We have two R4600PC's running alias with out problems.
One of which is my desk machine a 133mhz R4600PC, 24bit, 96 meg system the
other is a 100mhz R4600PC 24bit, 96meg of ram. I have been using R4600PC
indys for a year now first with Alias Studio V5 now with V6. We mostly do
animation work with them.

We have four 100 mhz R4600PC Indys that acting as the NFS file servers for the
College, and we don't have problems with them also.
These indys are just as stable as our 10 R4400 Indigo 2 extremes.
We are running Irix 5.3.

--

Manager of Computing Services
Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering
University of California, Riverside
WWW: http://engr.ucr.edu/~jde/               IZCC# 353, 81 280ZX

1. Indy & Alias PA 4 sale

For Sale:
Ready to start animating-
Indy R4400 175Mhz 24 Bit color workstation w/
96 MB Ram, 2 Gig HDD, SGI CD-ROM, 17" Monitor
with Alias Power Animator V7.1 with Advanced Animation Option
(Alias maintence paid till Dec. - will get V7.5 when available.)

New job, must sell. First reasonable offer taken.

2. Indy3D benchmark

3. FS: 02 Webforce + Alias PA 8.2 (Alias license/support not transferable)

4. Centering text in buttons

5. Download Audi TT

6. INDY 5000 & ALIAS

7. printing > 256 colors

8. Sell or trade Indy with PA base.

9. FS: Indy, Indigo, PA 7.0

10. Renderman .rib into Alias PA 8.1

11. Need Alias PA 9 for trade with other SGI stuff