Particle Tornado

Post by Dori Araz » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:27:34

Hey guys and gals,

I'm trying to simulate a tornado in Maya using only dynamics and expressions
(no keys) and have been running into walls everywhere I turn. I tried some
of the tutorials I found online but the results are mediocre at best.
I'm tiring at the moment to parent segmented particle systems to active
rigid bodies linked in a spring system to give it that wavy organic motion
look, its close but its still not there.

Any ideas?

Another thing I ran into that confused me. I'm using Maya 5.0 and when
applying a vortex field on a group of particles (even painted ones) and
setting the conserve on the particles to 0,
instead on rotating without spinning out they actually collapse inward (to
the center of the vortex) as if the vortex has some sort of negative radial
field with an attenuation on it. when I set conserve to 0.75 it somewhat
stayed in place but I know that's not how its supposed to work. Anyone run
into this or have any idea why its happening?

Dori.

Particle Tornado

Post by davi » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 05:40:54

try simplymaya.com.  They have a nice tutorial on this.But u have to
pay for it. Or  get the Particle DVD from AW site..it's THE BEST out
there.

~Dave.

> Hey guys and gals,

> I'm trying to simulate a tornado in Maya using only dynamics and expressions
> (no keys) and have been running into walls everywhere I turn. I tried some
> of the tutorials I found online but the results are mediocre at best.
> I'm tiring at the moment to parent segmented particle systems to active
> rigid bodies linked in a spring system to give it that wavy organic motion
> look, its close but its still not there.

> Any ideas?

> Another thing I ran into that confused me. I'm using Maya 5.0 and when
> applying a vortex field on a group of particles (even painted ones) and
> setting the conserve on the particles to 0,
> instead on rotating without spinning out they actually collapse inward (to
> the center of the vortex) as if the vortex has some sort of negative radial
> field with an attenuation on it. when I set conserve to 0.75 it somewhat
> stayed in place but I know that's not how its supposed to work. Anyone run
> into this or have any idea why its happening?

> Dori.

1. Particle system hurricanes and tornadoes

Anyone have any ideas on how to create a hurricane or a tornado using
the standard particle systems in MAX. I can get a spinning cylindrical
thing by spinning the emmiter, my main problem is getting it all to
spread out towards the top and form the spiral shaped lines of clouds
seen in a hurricane.

Thanks

                Chris Maryan

                http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/3600

2. Stiffness settings

3. Adv. Particle Question-particles emiting particles

4. Multipass Textures

5. Particles, particles particles

6. 3D BSP Trees for visbility determination

7. cebas thinking particles vs. digimation particle studio

8. Request for Help

9. Particle Storm - how to reflect particles

10. Particle Storm - constraining particles

11. Particle plug-ins: Sparks or Particle Storm?

12. particle events and killing particles?

13. Could particle instancer inherit particle's rgbPP?