Apply filter to file from shell?

Post by Jeff Saltzma » Fri, 01 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Is there any way to access the Alias post filter functions from a shell?

I want to make a batch post filter script (that does other stuff too) so
need to know how to access this _or_any_other_ filtering command.
Anything that could apply a 3x3 convolution filter would be EXCELLENT.

Thanks

Jeff Saltzman
Chimera Digital Imaging
New Orleans

Post by Mark Baj » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: Is there any way to access the Alias post filter functions from a shell?

: I want to make a batch post filter script (that does other stuff too) so
: need to know how to access this _or_any_other_ filtering command.
: Anything that could apply a 3x3 convolution filter would be EXCELLENT.

Unfortunately the only Alias operations available at the command line
involve translating databases, such as turning a wire into an sdl, a
dxf file into a wire, etc.

However, sgi's do have a fairly decent range of image processing tools
available, including "convolve", which could be utilized in a batch
postfiltering script.  These tools only work with sgi format images, so
you'd need to run "fromalias" on your images first to convert them.

The image tools are located at /usr/sbin.  If your machine doesn't have
them installed, they are available on the OS CD for installation.  If I
remember correctly, they are listed in inst as "Image Tools", or "Image Works"
or something like that.   I'm not at an sgi at the moment, else I'd
check for you........

Hope this helps.

Mark
image design, nyc