Maya 5 hardware rendering

Post by Tonci Neme » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:21:17

If by hardware rendering you understand rendering with the assistance of a
graphics card, then here are my two cents:
I remember Lightwave 5.5 used to have an OpenGL rendering feature. Not sure
of the quality, though, as I haven't used it.
3dsMax (afaik) doesn't have hardware rendering (in the true sense, but there
is a preview renderer).
Softimage, to my knowledge, doesn't have a hardware renderer.

I am pretty certain that image quality will be rather poor compared to a
true "software" rendering, because there is always a matter of speed vs.
accuracy of the process. In any case, with most cards today (with the
exception of NVidia's FX batch), you get 32-bit precision which is fast, but
weak considering that serious rendering is done at 64-bit double precision
and resolutions that require at least some form of bucketing, lest the
memory consumption (and the bandwidth requirements on the bus) become too
high to handle.

Then there is a matter of volume-rendering, global illumination,
motion-blur, anti-aliasing, etc.

Therefore I think hardware rendering isn't quite there yet for production
rendering, but can be invaluable in the pre-visualization stage, where you
need results fast and don't care much about the quality.

I could be wrong, tho :)

Regards,

Tonci

Quote:> Have any of you used this feature?  How fast is it compared to software
> rendering?  How is image quality?  How hard is it to use?  What are the
best
> graphics cards for it?

> Do other 3D apps like Softimage, Lightwave or 3DS Max use hardware
rendering?
> If so, how does it compare?

Maya 5 hardware rendering

Post by Craig Townse » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:44:28

I tried it real quickly the other day just to see what it looked like
on a scene that has reflections and some texturing using a reference
object. This was using a Quadro4 750XGL which is a A/W recommended
card. The results weren't too bad but it isn't practical for anything
beyond some basic layers to be composited in a final scene.
Reflections didn't show up at all, the texture using a reference
object got distorted and highlights were much tighter and more
prominant than they were supposed to be. Basic texturing wasn't too
bad so it could have it's uses probably since those things probably
render almost instantaneously. Actually the scene rendered about as
fast using MAYA's renderer but this was with dual 2.4GHZ XEONS with
533MHZ FSB. Mental Ray was somewhat slower but gave the best results.
Production quality was used in all tests. Not a scientific evaluation
whatsoever so take it with a grain of salt. I doubt I'll be using it
beyond particles or possibly a quick test of anaimation- intermediate
quality had bad AA but it was fast.

Craig

--
Craig Townsend
Innovative Video Productions

Maya 5 hardware rendering

Post by Jaka Zva » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:27:08

Anyone tried Geforce FX 5600 with Maya?

> If by hardware rendering you understand rendering with the assistance of a
> graphics card, then here are my two cents:
> I remember Lightwave 5.5 used to have an OpenGL rendering feature. Not
sure
> of the quality, though, as I haven't used it.
> 3dsMax (afaik) doesn't have hardware rendering (in the true sense, but
there
> is a preview renderer).
> Softimage, to my knowledge, doesn't have a hardware renderer.

> I am pretty certain that image quality will be rather poor compared to a
> true "software" rendering, because there is always a matter of speed vs.
> accuracy of the process. In any case, with most cards today (with the
> exception of NVidia's FX batch), you get 32-bit precision which is fast,
but
> weak considering that serious rendering is done at 64-bit double precision
> and resolutions that require at least some form of bucketing, lest the
> memory consumption (and the bandwidth requirements on the bus) become too
> high to handle.

> Then there is a matter of volume-rendering, global illumination,
> motion-blur, anti-aliasing, etc.

> Therefore I think hardware rendering isn't quite there yet for production
> rendering, but can be invaluable in the pre-visualization stage, where you
> need results fast and don't care much about the quality.

> I could be wrong, tho :)

> Regards,

> Tonci

> > Have any of you used this feature?  How fast is it compared to software
> > rendering?  How is image quality?  How hard is it to use?  What are the
> best
> > graphics cards for it?

> > Do other 3D apps like Softimage, Lightwave or 3DS Max use hardware
> rendering?
> > If so, how does it compare?

Maya 5 hardware rendering

Post by Tonci Neme » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:47:25

I haven't. Maya should surely run with a GeForce FX, but I'm skeptical as to
what functionality it will bring, considering it's not a pro-CAD card (i.e.
Quadro FX). So, no hardware-accelerated wireframes, double-sided lighting,
etc etc ...
This is an educated guess, though, as I don't have a GeForce FX to try it
with.

Regards,

Tonci

Quote:> Anyone tried Geforce FX 5600 with Maya?

Maya 5 hardware rendering

Post by InfinityMachin » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:44:58

i wasn't sure if someone already answered this and the post just got cut off
but hardware rendering in maya turns out pretty much the same no matter what
sort of card you're using.  the speed of the card though in this case, more
than just straight cpu power is the main determining factor in how fast your
render gets completed.  you can achieve very nice looking production quality
results very quickly using the hardware render and taking advantage of its
render passes.  as a general rule, the hardware renderer is used strictly
for particles.  i'm not sure if this does fluid fx particles hmm probably
not but other things like sprites only render in the hardware renderer.  you
can check if it needs to be rendered hardware or software when you select
the particle type because the ones that need the software renderer have s/w
by the names in the list, all others are hardware.  its been my experience
that particle sprites can be used rather effectively to achieve extremely
quick results comparable to even that of software renders.

> > If by hardware rendering you understand rendering with the assistance of
> > graphics card, then here are my two cents:
> > I remember Lightwave 5.5 used to have an OpenGL rendering feature. Not
> sure
> > of the quality, though, as I haven't used it.
> > 3dsMax (afaik) doesn't have hardware rendering (in the true sense, but
> there
> > is a preview renderer).
> > Softimage, to my knowledge, doesn't have a hardware renderer.

> > I am pretty certain that image quality will be rather poor compared to a
> > true "software" rendering, because there is always a matter of speed vs.
> > accuracy of the process. In any case, with most cards today (with the
> > exception of NVidia's FX batch), you get 32-bit precision which is fast,
> but
> > weak considering that serious rendering is done at 64-bit double
precision
> > and resolutions that require at least some form of bucketing, lest the
> > memory consumption (and the bandwidth requirements on the bus) become
too
> > high to handle.

> > Then there is a matter of volume-rendering, global illumination,
> > motion-blur, anti-aliasing, etc.

> > Therefore I think hardware rendering isn't quite there yet for
production
> > rendering, but can be invaluable in the pre-visualization stage, where
you
> > need results fast and don't care much about the quality.

> > I could be wrong, tho :)

> > Regards,

> > Tonci

> > > Have any of you used this feature?  How fast is it compared to
software
> > > rendering?  How is image quality?  How hard is it to use?  What are
the
> > best
> > > graphics cards for it?

> > > Do other 3D apps like Softimage, Lightwave or 3DS Max use hardware
> > rendering?
> > > If so, how does it compare?

1. Maya Hardware Render problems

I'm compositing some hardware-rendered particles over a software-rendered scene
in Maya.  Much to my surprise, once I got to the compositing stage, my particles
didn't match the software scene.  I mean WAY off!    Does the fact that I'm
using 720x486 with 1.33 locked have anything to do with it?  I've also noticed
that the perspective window doesn't match the final render... even if you have
the gates on.  Not a whole lot off... but enough to cause problems for some
people.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a workaround?  I need an answer
FAST... I'm pullin' my hair out here working on a project that needs to be done
by morning.

TIA,

2. imageready secondary mouseovers

3. Maya Hardware Rendering Bug?

4. _eS Psychedelic 2c-t-2. 2c-i. 2c-e and shrooms here. lyM

5. Hardware Rendering vs. Software Rendering

6. Announce: GAMES INDUSTRY SPECIFIC OOA/D COURSE

7. Maya Render Farm Available (was:Re: Platform question for the maya gurus)

8. Performance of LW5 on Win95 or NT

9. Maya Net RENDERING Free Software and MAYA BOOK

10. ULTIMATE list of Render Farm Network Rendering Tools for Maya

11. MAYA MAYA MAYA MAYA MAYA

12. Hardware config suggestion for SGI320/Maya

13. Basic hardware for Maya 2 ?