Animating a parachute?...

Post by tgentr » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:32:57

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could lead me in the right direction. I've got a
cartoon character that's completely animated save for one final scene. What
happens is he's ejected out of his plane and pulls his rip cord but his
parachute doesn't open. He rockets towards the ground and <splat>. Then
after a brief pause his parachute opens and comes to rest on top of him.

I'm trying to figure out how to do the parachute. I was going to do it in
cloth but then I took in to account the cords that run from the parachute
back into the pack on his back. I don't know how I would achieve this. Then
I thought to do it as blend shaped polys, but the animation likely wouldn't
be convincing and it would be difficult to form it around him as it comes to
rest over him. Any suggestions?

Thanks..

Animating a parachute?...

Post by Theo » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:42:22

Quote:> Any suggestions?

make the cords cloth as well?

Animating a parachute?...

Post by Tetsu » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 10:01:54

Quote:> Hey everyone,

> I was wondering if someone could lead me in the right direction. I've got
> cartoon character that's completely animated save for one final scene.
What
> happens is he's ejected out of his plane and pulls his rip cord but his
> parachute doesn't open. He rockets towards the ground and <splat>. Then
> after a brief pause his parachute opens and comes to rest on top of him.

> I'm trying to figure out how to do the parachute. I was going to do it in
> cloth but then I took in to account the cords that run from the parachute
> back into the pack on his back. I don't know how I would achieve this.
Then
> I thought to do it as blend shaped polys, but the animation likely
wouldn't
> be convincing and it would be difficult to form it around him as it comes
> rest over him. Any suggestions?

Make the parachute a softbody. you can :

1. Make an equation for the vertex particles so you can simulate a floating
parachute that is open (with about the same shape)
2. Make the parachute 'emit' from a source, like the back pack
3. Do everything else you want in MEL of course

Seems like the best solution for total control..

--
Tetsuo