What is MAYA

Post by <cerberus.. » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

please email me and tell me what Maya is

What is MAYA

Post by Carl Olsso » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

MAYA is a ancient people in South America. They lived with great
treasures...
I hope this is the answer to your questions.

/ Nisse

Quote:> please email me and tell me what Maya is

What is MAYA

Post by Robert Mage » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> MAYA is a ancient people in South America. They lived with great
> treasures...
> I hope this is the answer to your questions.

Actually, the term Maya from the Hindu term that means "illusion."

In my reading, this Maya is the illusion of our physical reality as
opposed to a more true "spiritual" reality that we are apparently hiding
from. We use "Maya" to make it easier to understand the world instead of
pursuing higher spiritual goals. Also the idea that we are all
disconnected individuals instead of one interconnected universe is also
referred to as an illusion - Maya.

Since digital worlds/characters are also an illusion, the term seemed
appropriate for a computer animation system.

If anyone can verify/correct my summation of this hindu idea, please
feel free. You can also read about Maya and Eastern philosophy in the
book "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra that talks about how modern
physics is in many ways related to eastern mystical ideas.

--

FYI
Robert Magee | Editor Alias|Wavefront Assistant

What is MAYA

Post by Dean Edmon » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

 >MAYA is a ancient people in South America. They lived with great
 >treasures...

It is also the Hindu word for illusion, which is where the Maya product got
its name.

  - deane | Son: What's a metaphor?