skeleton setup for a bird

Post by ChaosDesigne » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 06:29:54

Hi Guys ,

does anybody know any good tutorials on the net , or can someone give me
some insight on how to do a skeleton setup for a bird , i am worried about
the wings , try as i might , i couldnt get the opening and closing of the
wings right. Any advice is much appreciated.

Ali

skeleton setup for a bird

Post by Anim8li » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:27:58

Quote:>can someone give me
>some insight on how to do a skeleton setup for a bird , i am worried about
>the wings , try as i might , i couldnt get the opening and closing of the
>wings right.

cool/good question dude,

I am assuming you are not referring to "flapping" but rather the "rest" and
"extended" positions of the wings.

in this instance I have personally found great reference in skeletal diagrams
of actual birds....they happen to work perfectly :0).

I have also found that one should design with both means in mind...Meaning that
I have done this several ways...design the skel and then model around it, and
vice versa....and also doing both at the same time...I have found that using
rough geometry is the quickest way develop the skel and get the
mechanics/folding as I would like, before endeavoring too far into final
modeling...

the most important area I have is understanding the shoulders...you really need
to have flexibility in the mesh as well as the skel in this area...shoulders
are distinctive in thier functions for both resting and flying (flexed/bulged
and relaxed/elongated), and really define those positions visually and
functionally.

depending on how your model is built, this might be a good situation to develop
the wing skel seperate from the body and connect it later.

also I would advise a combination of smooth and rigid binding, as well as
multiple peices of geometry.

again, bird anatomy ref is best!

Good Luck!

skeleton setup for a bird

Post by Anim8li » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:43:36

Quote:>in this instance I have personally found great reference in skeletal diagrams
>of actual birds....they happen to work perfectly :0).

http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/wingphotos.html

skeleton setup for a bird

Post by Anim8li » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:52:37

Quote:>in this instance I have personally found great reference in skeletal diagrams
>of actual birds....they happen to work perfectly :0).

http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/birds/guide/pg003.html

skeleton setup for a bird

Post by ChaosDesigne » Fri, 02 Nov 2001 10:42:48

thank you  very very much , :D

Quote:> >in this instance I have personally found great reference in skeletal
diagrams
> >of actual birds....they happen to work perfectly :0).

> http://www.lam.mus.ca.us/birds/guide/pg003.html

1. Skeleton arm setup

Im trying to do a skeleton arm in Maya, something like "The Mummy"
character. I have modeled the humerus, radius, ulna, wrist and finger bones.
Now I need a setup for the correct rotation of the radius and the ulna. Does
anybody know how can I get this?

2. OOPS OOPS- How Do I Work With CS2 HISTORY?

3. skeleton setup for a mech.

4. Animating a group of birds (crazy bird)

5. IEEE Vis 2000 - Early bird deadline is coming up

6. ANNOUNCE: "Feather" for Puter Bird

7. Tweety Bird??

8. Bird clipart - free

9. BDRF of birds/feathers?