20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

Post by Johan Wastri » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I quote David Ruigh here:

"If animation was easy, everyone would be doing it right? (why aren't those
20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz)."

Are they not?

I have recently lost contact with a video-production company because of a
person with a Pentium and 3D studio. His animations are really not that
impressive (stinks, as a matter a fact) but his pricetag is just not in my
reach to compete with. Is this just me and my breath or this companys
walletsize, or what? Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation? I
am confident that they will return when dealing whith major stuff, but
still...

Post by Bill Leona » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

[]>I have recently lost contact with a video-production company because of a
[]>person with a Pentium and 3D studio. His animations are really not that
[]>impressive (stinks, as a matter a fact) but his pricetag is just not in my
[]>reach to compete with. Is this just me and my breath or this companys
[]>walletsize, or what? Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation? I
[]>am confident that they will return when dealing whith major stuff, but
[]>still...

Welcome to our world.  Here in Orlando, there's a Lightwave or 3D Studio
owner on every street corner.  Because of their overhead (read: ZERO),
they can afford to charge almost nothing for their work.  Their parents
probably even bought the software for them!  But try as hard as you can to
not let them dictate YOUR prices.  That is really the key to the longevity
thing, and affirms a certain level of quality to potential clients.

Bill Leonard

                                *.lab g.f.x.
                                Orlando, Florida
                                  407.425.5722
   3D Animation € Modeling € Special Effects € Station ID Packages € Pre-Viz
                   http://www.veryComputer.com/~bill_l/top.html

Post by John We » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>I quote David Ruigh here:
>"If animation was easy, everyone would be doing it right? (why aren't those
>20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz)."
>Are they not?
>I have recently lost contact with a video-production company because of a
>person with a Pentium and 3D studio. His animations are really not that
>impressive (stinks, as a matter a fact) but his pricetag is just not in my
>reach to compete with. Is this just me and my breath or this companys
>walletsize, or what? Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation? I
>am confident that they will return when dealing whith major stuff, but
>still...

This is an old story in the graphic arts world.  As long as there has
been a demand for art there have been those with less ability and a
lower price tag competing for bids.

One of the largest problems is client education.  Many clients are
neither aware or concerned with quality, and quality costs money.
Many clients are willing to cut costs by hiring less expeirenced lower
quality artists.

The public is another factor.  As long as the public accepts products,
publications so on  with low quality art or images the there is no
incentive for the client to pay the extra money for high quality.

This occurs in all areas of commercial art and now in the world of 3D.

20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

Post by fre » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I quote David Ruigh here:

>"If animation was easy, everyone would be doing it right? (why aren't those
>20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz)."

>Are they not?

>I have recently lost contact with a video-production company because of a
>person with a Pentium and 3D studio. His animations are really not that
>impressive (stinks, as a matter a fact) but his pricetag is just not in my
>reach to compete with. Is this just me and my breath or this companys
>walletsize, or what? Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation? I
>am confident that they will return when dealing whith major stuff, but
>still...

so this is what ya do, get a p133 and when MAX comes out you buy it and learn it
and then when you bid projects say, " you can have this 3ds low quality or you can
have everything with alias." become a full service animation house.

20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

Post by imtec » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

The limiting factor is how do they (the 20,000 kids) output their
animation. I get a few calls from people asking to output stuff to
videotape and I give them a fair (i.e slightly elevated price) to do it
and the inevitable reply is "I didn't think it would cost that much" and
I say "go and buy a Betacam SP and a broadcast quality framestore plus an
animation controller and do it yourself". Even if they have a MAX or DPS
Perception card they need to drag their PC down to the studio and dump it
out to tape (with a noticable quality drop).

I guess what I'm trying to say is if they are going to try to compete
with the people who are set up to do it properly then they need to do it
properly.

Jon Allitt
JJ Graphics
Wellington

New Zealand.

Post by Gunnar Lars » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>so this is what ya do, get a p133 and when MAX comes out you buy it and learn it
>and then when you bid projects say, " you can have this 3ds low quality or you can
>have everything with alias." become a full service animation house.

Should the sgi just stand there and the work be done on a pentium
instead?? That will be a very stupid thing to do. I guess that alias
can choose rendering qualities and make simple animations as in
3dsudio.If your buyers are most interessed in the price and less in
the quality, a solution  could be to offer two qualities both made on
the sgi but with different amount of time spent. The sgi is still a
lot faster then the pentium so your  advantage over the 3ds user will
be that you can deliver in much less time. Of course many of you using
alias  would deliver such a project anonymously.

I am a PC  user and posted an article to a 3ds group that may be of
interest to you. Here it is:

PC speed v SGI
Are there anyone who know how fast indys and other SGI's are
compared to for example an pentium triton 120 pci fast scsi pc ?.
I am wondering because I bought for ca 3 years ago a dX 50 which was
the fastest pc at that time. Now the new tritons are ca 5-8 times
faster
(the price is almost identical to the dx-50).
In another 3 years the speed of the pc will increase accordingly I
(think).
How is the speed and the price of the SGI now versus 3 years ago.
Will the pc catch up or will it always be inferior for high-end
graphics?.
If the SGI always will be the leader I will serious consider to change
platform to SGI.
The pc programs I am sure will catch up if the hardware is there.
Softimage a.o have already started making pc-versions.

Gunnar Larsen Norway.

20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

Post by Dong Ki » Fri, 06 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>PC speed v SGI
>Are there anyone who know how fast indys and other SGI's are
>compared to for example an pentium triton 120 pci fast scsi pc ?.
>I am wondering because I bought for ca 3 years ago a dX 50 which was
>the fastest pc at that time. Now the new tritons are ca 5-8 times
>faster
>(the price is almost identical to the dx-50).
>In another 3 years the speed of the pc will increase accordingly I
>(think).
>How is the speed and the price of the SGI now versus 3 years ago.
>Will the pc catch up or will it always be inferior for high-end
>graphics?.
>If the SGI always will be the leader I will serious consider to change
>platform to SGI.
>The pc programs I am sure will catch up if the hardware is there.
>Softimage a.o have already started making pc-versions.

>Gunnar Larsen Norway.

For speed, I think the fastest Mac can keep up with a low to mid level SGI.
For software, Macs and PC's can dream can't they?
For a lot of 3d work, it can be done quite easily and well on a PC or Mac, but for
character and effects?  Can't touch the SGI.  The market will always seem to close
in on the SGI, but don't forget, SGI develops as well. It will always stay ahead
for the high end of 3d (character, effects, and high end processing power), but any
well equipped desktop can do 3d logos just as well.

SoftImage will run under NT systems with Open GL, and will cost about the same as
the SGI version.   You get what you pay for...

Dong Kim

digital camerastand, compositing, 3d animation guy
I'm thinking, but nothing's happening...

http://www.pacificnet.net/~dkim

213-555-yah right!!!

20,000 kids with Pentiums and 3D Studio taking over the animation biz?

Post by Brion So » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> For speed, I think the fastest Mac can keep up with a low to mid level SGI.

This is true infact SPEC No. on the New 604 Powermacs put them up into the
range of the high end R4000 processor (200mhz or so) which is used in the
Indigo's.  The thing that the SGI's have though is a very, very high speed
bus and Rendering Sub-systems in Hardware (Reality Engine, Extreme,
Impact) which makes them faster at rendering.

Quote:> For software, Macs and PC's can dream can't they?

Who Knows mabye when Linux Hits the Powermacs Alias will run (doubt it but
you can always hope)

Quote:> For a lot of 3d work, it can be done quite easily and well on a PC or
Mac, but for
> character and effects?  Can't touch the SGI.  The market will always
seem to close
> in on the SGI, but don't forget, SGI develops as well. It will always
stay ahead
> for the high end of 3d (character, effects, and high end processing
power), but any
> well equipped desktop can do 3d logos just as well.

> SoftImage will run under NT systems with Open GL, and will cost about
the same as
> the SGI version.   You get what you pay for...

Of course Alias is always going to run best on the SGI, Now that SGI owns
them, so it would be best to just get the SGI

Thanks,
Brion

1. a 3D model search engine, currently about 20,000 models indexed

Hello,

Here at Princeton we're working on a 3D model search engine,
with which you can search for 3D model files by text as well
as shape (2D sketches, 3D shape,...)

We're slowly improving the site stability, and need some more hits.

Try it out at:
http://shape.cs.princeton.edu

Currently about 20,000 (mostly VRML) models have been indexed.

It would be great if you could also click on the 'feedback' link
on that page and leave us some feedback.

thanks,

Patrick Min

2. Did you know that...

3. OUTLINETEXTMETRIC???

4. Collision in Half-Life

5. OS2 Screen Capture

6. Kids Studio - anyone with kids using it?

7. Pentiums and 3D studio

8. 3d studio max r3 copy - wont run dumn kid need help