Particle Replacements

Post by Joseph Musse » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 01:46:07

I'm trying to simulate pills falling out of a pill bottle.

I have 7 different pills (to mix it up), I have selected them, went
to...Particles...Instancer (replacement). Left everything at default
and hit create.

I hid the original geometry that I used to be instanced. Made a few
new attributes and scripted them to do rotate, scale and choose from
the object index all of the pills in a random order from the
instancer.

I created a ground plane and in the particles pull down I assigned it
to collide.

Now... Here is what doesn't work for me... I want the pills to act
like rigged bodies and bounce and slide correctly and not go through
the ground plane. I don't think I can make the original geometry
active rigid bodies if they're just going to be used as instances? Is
there any way I can make the pills to land realistically and behave
like an active rigid body?

My reason for using the instance aside from the obvious is because I
need to make it look like a ton of pills are pouring down and
particles are the best thing to use for generating tons of anything. I
don't want to have to MAKE 9 million objects a bog down my system.

If anyone has any solutions or at the very least, a helpful hint as
where I can go to get some answers, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Joseph Musse II

Particle Replacements

Post by Visual » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 12:38:17

Well, maybe you could use rigid bodies to simulate a couple different ones.
Then you could just write a mel script to duplicate the animated pill, offset
the timing by a random range of frames, and repeat.  Maybe if you have enough
unique pill falls, you'll not notice that there duplicates.

If you need these pills to interact with each other and pile up, then you might
have to try to figure a different way.  I'd bet you could still fake it though.

JP

Particle Replacements

Post by MUTTOA » Tue, 06 May 2003 04:01:44

This should be no problem ...

Have you gone into the dynamic relationship editor and made sure that
the particles are linked to the ground plane collision object?

MUTTOAB

Quote:>I'm trying to simulate pills falling out of a pill bottle.