displacement map to a polygon

Post by Tom » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:21:53

Is there a way to apply a displ. map to a polygon? If so, how is it done? Im
a newbie, and ive looked in the docs and I've googled it, but cant find it.
Thanks.

displacement map to a polygon

Post by Tom » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:39:45

As in...applying a d.m. to a single polygon, not a whole polygon object ;)

Quote:> Is there a way to apply a displ. map to a polygon? If so, how is it done?

Post by Tetsu » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:11:01

Quote:> Is there a way to apply a displ. map to a polygon? If so, how is it done?
Im
> a newbie, and ive looked in the docs and I've googled it, but cant find
it.
> Thanks.

Displacement changes geometry, not normals. Which answers your question :
no.

--
Tetsuo

displacement map to a polygon

Post by Tom » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:32:51

Thanks. Suppose I had a cube, and each side has 20 polygons, how do i apply
(if i can) a dm to one side of the cube? TIA.

Tom

> > Is there a way to apply a displ. map to a polygon? If so, how is it
done?
> Im
> > a newbie, and ive looked in the docs and I've googled it, but cant find
> it.
> > Thanks.

> Displacement changes geometry, not normals. Which answers your question :
> no.

> --
> Tetsuo

displacement map to a polygon

Post by Theo » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:40:55

Quote:> Thanks. Suppose I had a cube, and each side has 20 polygons, how do i
> apply (if i can) a dm to one side of the cube? TIA.

someone correct me if Im wrong in this....

displacement maps are applied to shading groups. So, if you apply that
shader to only one side (selecting the faces then applying the shader to
them), it should only affect that side.

displacement map to a polygon

Post by Tom » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:14:51

Yes, that works. Thanks. I should have tried that before. I didnt think it
would be that easy.

Tom

> > Thanks. Suppose I had a cube, and each side has 20 polygons, how do i
> > apply (if i can) a dm to one side of the cube? TIA.

> someone correct me if Im wrong in this....

> displacement maps are applied to shading groups. So, if you apply that
> shader to only one side (selecting the faces then applying the shader to
> them), it should only affect that side.

1. Displacement map, um, MAP resources?

    Yo.   Does anybody know of any resources that supply elevation maps
in some kinda graphic gray-scale format that would make for easy
displacement mapping of , say, state maps?

    Basically, I want to make a relief version of a state map.
(Washington, to be exact.)  I can't just scan a regular "relief" map
because that has a shadowing convention built in.

    Also, this doesn't have to be all that accurate, so 255 steps is
probably fine, if not overkill.

Thanks, fellow animators!

**  Look!  There's ARAT in the middle of "separate"!

2. What are the shortcomings of the Fire GL 1000 Pro?

3. Displacement on polygons meshes

4. WyzPOV Win32 binary available

5. Polygon to Polygon mapping ?

6. Radiosity Book Announcement

7. URGENT: displacement mapping and graphics cards

8. Devoxelization

9. Blender Displacement Mapping Suite v1.0

10. Real World Terrain Displacement Maps

11. Displacement Mapping

12. HELP: Displacement mapping in POV-Ray?