Rendering service bureaus

Post by David Ruigh M3-190 x687 » Fri, 30 Jun 1995 04:00:00

What experiences, opinions, flames, horror-stories, etc with rendering
service bureaus does anyone have that they would kindly share via email?
Is this a viable service to offer the CG community?, and if so what
kind of attributes are crucial to make such a service valuable to
the animation business, i.e. T1 connectivity, WWW online forms/billing,
breadth of rendering applications supported, support staff availability,
etc. What other features might be offered, and what kind of rates (cpu/hr),
are reasonable. And lastly, who else is out there?

I am asking because I may have an opportunity to help set up such a
service. A group that I do consulting for has a bunch of SGI R4.4k
Indys that are under-utilized, and they are looking at ways to maximize
their investment. Rendering has been an absolute time-killer for me
on past projects, and my machine is not very useable when prman is
chugging away, eating ram and swap, and I'am not the only one who
has experienced this, I'am sure. Any ideas would be welcome, and I will
post a summary of responses.

Thanks!

Dave Ruigh

FYI: I'am familiar with Renderman, BMRT, Vertigo, and Alias, but info relating
to all rendering systems are welcome.

Any opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily represent the
opinions or policies of Amdahl Corporation. So there.

1. Rendering service bureaus

[...]

2. IRTC winners for September-October 1997

3. The Riordan Faz Institute of Abandon

4. Sale: IPAS for 3DStudio

5. Anyway in openGL to track position of things?

6. Rendering Service Bureau?