Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Nick » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:22:04

Hi guys,

What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Tom » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:21:09

Yes.

Quote:> Hi guys,

> What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

> Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by n8 sko » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:35:03

Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
subjective...

n8

Quote:> Hi guys,

> What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

> Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Tom » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:54:06

My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the new
mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer. It
has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are other
new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

Quote:> Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
> subjective...

> n8

> > Hi guys,

> > What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

> > Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by n8 sko » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:40:36

Yes, but weighing the cost/benefit ratio is still strictly a matter of
opinion...

If he had asked - "what am I getting in the Maya5 upgrade" then we could
give a list of answers. But to just ask if it's worth it, well, that's like
asking "do you like chocolate or vanilla?" - it's just a matter of
opinion...

n8

> My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the new
> mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer.
It
> has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are other
> new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
> specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

> > Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
> > subjective...

> > n8

> > > Hi guys,

> > > What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

> > > Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Tom » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:48:49

I think the guy just wanted to know if there was anything significant about
Maya 5 that might make it worth upgrading to. I dont care about how
much/little he is willing to spend. If he likes what he hears then he can
make his own decision. I think its a given that when someone like me says
"yes, its worth it" thats just an opinion, not something he has to believe.
Also, if you think he is asking "what am I getting in 5" or if you want to
tell him what he is getting( like I did) then just say something. I think
thats what he was going for.

Tom

> Yes, but weighing the cost/benefit ratio is still strictly a matter of
> opinion...

> If he had asked - "what am I getting in the Maya5 upgrade" then we could
> give a list of answers. But to just ask if it's worth it, well, that's
like
> asking "do you like chocolate or vanilla?" - it's just a matter of
> opinion...

> n8

> > My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the
new
> > mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer.
> It
> > has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are
other
> > new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
> > specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

> > > Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
> > > subjective...

> > > n8

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Theo » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:25:00

Quote:> My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the new
> mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer

cant you get that free for maya 4 from the aw website? or was it something
else related to it?

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Tom » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:40:51

Im not sure. I think MR is free to DL for 4.5, but I dont know if it will
work with 4.0. Check the A|W website, they have a list of all of the
improvements in 5.0.

> > My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the
new
> > mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer

> cant you get that free for maya 4 from the aw website? or was it something
> else related to it?

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Nick » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:51:54

Cheers Tom! Agreed, it is a general question and your answer was what i was
after. I wasn't after specifics as i wanted a general opinion.

> My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the new
> mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer.
It
> has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are other
> new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
> specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

> > Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
> > subjective...

> > n8

> > > Hi guys,

> > > What do people think about Maya5? Is it worth the upgrade from M4?

> > > Nick.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Theo » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:54:16

Quote:> Im not sure. I think MR is free to DL for 4.5, but I dont know if it will
> work with 4.0. Check the A|W website, they have a list of all of the
> improvements in 5.0.

ooops, yea it was 4.5

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by S?ren Jacobse » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:48:29

first I work for a reseller so I might be biased, but here goes:

with M5  (sounds like a bmw ;)  ) you get among other things:

mentalray integrated and now able to render things such as subds and
particles (not available in 4.5)

you get a vector renderer (on winblowz at least)  that lets you render
out in swf animations and ai files

shockwave exporter now built-in

you get a brand new hardware renderer that utilizes many of the cool
features on newer gfx cards to create hardwarerender quality that would
have passed as software renderer a few years back (great for last minute
tv work, where youu might have to create a visualization for a news
broadcast etc.)

dwg import, now you can read autocad files directly

pfx to polygons, painteffect strokes can now be converted to polygon
geometry, allowing you to render reflectiones etc. or use them as basis
for modelling, or export to game engines

subd's (and thereby polygons) to nurbs conversion

theres a few good animation enhancements such as parent constraints,
ik/fk blending, better ghosting etc

if you go unlimited, theres the whole fluid area that has been enhanced
significantly
fur clumping...

all in all a pretty significant upgrade since v4.5

> Cheers Tom! Agreed, it is a general question and your answer was what i was
> after. I wasn't after specifics as i wanted a general opinion.

>>My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the new
>>mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer.

> It

>>has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are other
>>new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
>>specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

>>>Try asking a more specific question... "Is it worth it?" is simply too
>>>subjective...

>>>n8

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Jack Neasha » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:38:05

Hi,

The following is not meant to deny that the M5 is a great package and as
such there are not many reasons why not to upgrade if the money is no
objection.

Currently I am using 4.5 (back from 5), but that is to archieve version
compatibility through our current film project and because of some plugins
we are using. What I do does not push Maya even near its limits, so take
this as a grain of salt.

Quote:> mentalray integrated and now able to render things such as subds and
> particles (not available in 4.5)

All though there is no deny that mental ray is superior to Maya's renderer,
I believe the default renderer takes you rather long itself when properly
used. For my personal work I do prefer the default renderer as I haven't
needed the stuff mental ray adds. Yes, it's nice and neat, but do you
_really_ need it more than what you can get free for 4.5?

Quote:> dwg import, now you can read autocad files directly

Nice, dxf import still ruined? :)

Quote:> all in all a pretty significant upgrade since v4.5

That depends, I suppose. To me, most of the stuff in your list for more or
less useless. Some seem rather attractive (vector renderer, subs to nurbs)
but are sometimes rather restriccted by the implementation and real
usefullness. I am sure some have longed for these for ages, but really, have
you? I welcome the animation enhancements and pfx to polygons but I could
surely survive without those. Add mental ray to that and I consider the
update worthwhile, though I wouldn't pay big bucks for it if it's from my
own purse (luckily, it's not).

Best Regards,

Jack Neasham

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by Nick » Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:46:23

Cheers mate! Very informative and more then i wanted but thank you. I have
done considerable research on the u/g work since 4 and things atm don't need
the ug but i'm sure in the future we will take the step. Thanx again!

> first I work for a reseller so I might be biased, but here goes:

> with M5  (sounds like a bmw ;)  ) you get among other things:

> mentalray integrated and now able to render things such as subds and
> particles (not available in 4.5)

> you get a vector renderer (on winblowz at least)  that lets you render
> out in swf animations and ai files

> shockwave exporter now built-in

> you get a brand new hardware renderer that utilizes many of the cool
> features on newer gfx cards to create hardwarerender quality that would
> have passed as software renderer a few years back (great for last minute
> tv work, where youu might have to create a visualization for a news
> broadcast etc.)

> dwg import, now you can read autocad files directly

> pfx to polygons, painteffect strokes can now be converted to polygon
> geometry, allowing you to render reflectiones etc. or use them as basis
> for modelling, or export to game engines

> subd's (and thereby polygons) to nurbs conversion

> theres a few good animation enhancements such as parent constraints,
> ik/fk blending, better ghosting etc

> if you go unlimited, theres the whole fluid area that has been enhanced
> significantly
> fur clumping...

> all in all a pretty significant upgrade since v4.5

> > Cheers Tom! Agreed, it is a general question and your answer was what i
was
> > after. I wasn't after specifics as i wanted a general opinion.

> >>My vote is yes, makethe upgrade if you have the money. Maya 5 has the
new
> >>mental ray renderer, which looks much better than the software renderer.

> > It

> >>has global illumination and caustics, among other things. There are
other
> >>new features as well. Heh, I dont think the question needs to be more
> >>specific. If the question is general, then give a general answer.

Maya5 ..worth the wait?

Post by S?ren Jacobse » Sun, 20 Jul 2003 07:38:42

> Hi,

> The following is not meant to deny that the M5 is a great package and as
> such there are not many reasons why not to upgrade if the money is no
> objection.

> Currently I am using 4.5 (back from 5), but that is to archieve version
> compatibility through our current film project and because of some plugins
> we are using. What I do does not push Maya even near its limits, so take
> this as a grain of salt.

>>mentalray integrated and now able to render things such as subds and
>>particles (not available in 4.5)

> All though there is no deny that mental ray is superior to Maya's renderer,
> I believe the default renderer takes you rather long itself when properly
> used. For my personal work I do prefer the default renderer as I haven't
> needed the stuff mental ray adds. Yes, it's nice and neat, but do you
> _really_ need it more than what you can get free for 4.5?

as mentioned it is better integrated now, supporting more maya features
(such as particles and subds) also the integrations has been streamlined
  more

Quote:>>dwg import, now you can read autocad files directly

> Nice, dxf import still ruined? :)

Im not exactly sure what part of dxfimport you are referring to?

Quote:

>>all in all a pretty significant upgrade since v4.5

> That depends, I suppose. To me, most of the stuff in your list for more or
> less useless. Some seem rather attractive (vector renderer, subs to nurbs)
> but are sometimes rather restriccted by the implementation and real
> usefullness. I am sure some have longed for these for ages, but really, have
> you? I welcome the animation enhancements and pfx to polygons but I could
> surely survive without those. Add mental ray to that and I consider the
> update worthwhile, though I wouldn't pay big bucks for it if it's from my
> own purse (luckily, it's not).

well Im not sure exactly what you are looking/longing for, but ofcourse
no release will cover all peoples desires

Quote:> Best Regards,

> Jack Neasham

regards kurgan

1. worth the wait?

i think you people will be very disapointed with lw 6
i sat and watched a demo of the very latest beta of lw 6 and it single
handedly
underpinned the decision i made to go max rather than wait for lw 6.
 this deicision was made in april 1999 when we were suposed to see lw 6 soon
at nab...
yeh well i would still be waiting....
instead i've had max 2.5 and character studio then in august i
recieved
my free upgrade to max 3.0 and character 2.2 and in DMW i saw mental ray
demoed
for max...plus matterwaves...well cool plugin

maybe it's time to look elsewhere for you guys..i did.

i know this will upset some diehard lw people...sorry guys/gals but to say
max is lacking
in modeling is mad.

nurms?
surface tools?
nurbs if you want 'em [i don't]
soft select...flex...vetex paint....gee...

tell you wot do yourself a favor and get a free demo cd of max or maybe one
of the excellent cd's
by digital x...then you might understand just where lw really is going to be
when it ships version 6.
i would firmly bet with form z and electric image for animation...and
general features and
about a good leap from softimage but way in the distance is maya/max...

honestly take a look at max before going down the lw/messiah and lw upgrade
path.
if i were in your shoes i'd look hard at E image too...good enough for about
50 shots in the star wars film  ep1.

you want max to look like lw...there's a custom set that does a good job.
you want modeller and layout? use the isolate tool...
you want metanrbs?...use nurms...any sided polys not quad or tri...and
"really" paint weights
on em and use soft select to help move 'em.....how about just leave the
animate
button on and then
you can animate your building of your model...
morph targets?...err just move some polys with the animated button on..done!
but you have a morph gizmo if you wish and bones made from whatever you
want...typical bones
or polygon boxes or even splines....that you can animate bending etc...

the only big plus for lw is that you can run it  on a mac/alpha sun etc.

whatever...just putting my side up for yor amusement.
disregard if you wish

stee+catz

2. Snow Board trail in snow

3. DPS upgrade worth the wait

4. Come to see vrml collection

5. MMX worth the wait?

6. Gradient effect help? white to black on black like chalk

7. long wait for Maya5 license. A|W problem?

8. Windows GIMP (1.2.3) on network

9. A|W Maya5 vs 3DS MAX5

10. Maya5.0 : " Setting keys for a camera

11. can Maya5 import 3d model from AutoCad?

12. Maya5.0 - No curve tool options

13. but maya5?