good tutorials.

Post by Nickelangel » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 00:07:41

i am looking for some good beginners tutorials for maya 4.

Thanks.

good tutorials.

Post by ChaosDesigne » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:33:02

www.highend3d.com

www.3dbuzz.com

www.3dlinks.com

www.aliaswavefront.com

Quote:> i am looking for some good beginners tutorials for maya 4.

> Thanks.

good tutorials.

Post by BAMAL » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:55:27

<< i am looking for some good beginners tutorials for maya 4.

Thanks. >>

try the manual the software came with...

good tutorials.

Post by TurboJugen » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:26:01

That's a pretty crappy attitude to have towards a newbie...  Everyone has
got to start somewhere.

Quote:> << i am looking for some good beginners tutorials for maya 4.

> Thanks. >>

> try the manual the software came with...

good tutorials.

Post by Nickelangel » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:43:18

Quote:> That's a pretty crappy attitude to have towards a newbie...  Everyone has
> got to start somewhere.

I agree, i can take the comment, so no harm done ;)
My problem is mainly the language.
I'm from Belgium, Europe.
I speak dutch(mother language), french and english.
As for english, i can hold my own. But when it comes to software related
vocabulary. It's hard to grasp some of the specific language. All the
reflectiveness and translucency, nurbs and poligons aren't so simple.
The learning curve of maya is pretty steep and when using the .pdf's that
came with maya 4, it gets somewhat confusing. I have done some tutorials for
the third cd, and getting along though.
I was just wondering if there where some very basic tutorials online that
explane some of the basic terms.

Nickelangelo

good tutorials.

Post by Anim8li » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:10:30

So you're saying that the A/W rep in Belgium sold you an English version of the
software, without any of the online manuals in html?

...hmmm, that must suck

try: www.highend3d.com

Quote:>I agree, i can take the comment, so no harm done ;)
>My problem is mainly the language.
>I'm from Belgium, Europe.
>I speak dutch(mother language), french and english.
>As for english, i can hold my own. But when it comes to software related
>vocabulary. It's hard to grasp some of the specific language. All the
>reflectiveness and translucency, nurbs and poligons aren't so simple.
>The learning curve of maya is pretty steep and when using the .pdf's that
>came with maya 4, it gets somewhat confusing. I have done some tutorials for
>the third cd, and getting along though.
>I was just wondering if there where some very basic tutorials online that
>explane some of the basic terms.

good tutorials.

Post by Nickelangel » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 00:24:21

Quote:> So you're saying that the A/W rep in Belgium sold you an English version
of the
> software, without any of the online manuals in html?

> ...hmmm, that must suck

Ever seen a dutch verion of maya?

Nickelangelo

good tutorials.

Post by Anim8li » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 04:47:41

Quote:>> So you're saying that the A/W rep in Belgium sold you an English version
>of the
>> software, without any of the online manuals in html?

>> ...hmmm, that must suck

>Ever seen a dutch verion of maya?

>Nickelangelo

I beleive there are lots of Dutch versions of the documentation...I've seen at
least some german postings in this newsgroup about workshops and tutorials...

the installation does ask you for a language preference...?

but I'll be honest and say I personally have not seen foreign versions....let
alone dutch.

good tutorials.

Post by Frederic Djoenaed » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:04:21

what if he arrived in an English speaking country from Belgium?
I'm sure the rep where he is won't sell him a dutch one

hmmm.....

Post by BAMAL » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:20:00

<< That's a pretty crappy attitude to have towards a newbie...  Everyone has
got to start somewhere. >>

u really think so?   oh well....I always thought manual were always good places
to start.....

Apologies will be accepted  ..."TURBO"....

good tutorials.

Post by Nickelangel » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:38:37

Quote:> what if he arrived in an English speaking country from Belgium?
> I'm sure the rep where he is won't sell him a dutch one

That's true.
I try to learn all software in english because i want to be compatible with
co-workers when i start a job.
Most CG artist use the english version.
It's not the first time i have met people from the US or UK, Russia or China
for that mather.
It would be hard to talk about CG when using a diffrent software language.

Nickelangelo

good tutorials.

Post by TurboJugen » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:44:09

I think it was obvious that the guy was looking for third party tutorials
(ie: web sites, book recommenations).  The answer you gave seemed pretty
sarcastic to me.  I'm not trying to make an enemy here, but I just hate
people with that attitude towards newbies (myself included).  It's not like
he asked a stupid question that could easily be looked up in the manual or
help file.  Don't hold your breath for an apology from me.

Quote:> << That's a pretty crappy attitude to have towards a newbie...  Everyone
has
> got to start somewhere. >>

> u really think so?   oh well....I always thought manual were always good
places
> to start.....

> Apologies will be accepted  ..."TURBO"....

good tutorials.

Post by Jonathan del Strothe » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 22:44:08

Heh - don't mind us.  There's a typical kneejerk reaction in this forum that if someone doesn't understand a basic point, he must've
warezed it.

Welcome to the newsgroup  : )

> > That's a pretty crappy attitude to have towards a newbie...  Everyone has
> > got to start somewhere.

> I agree, i can take the comment, so no harm done ;)
> My problem is mainly the language.
> I'm from Belgium, Europe.
> I speak dutch(mother language), french and english.
> As for english, i can hold my own. But when it comes to software related
> vocabulary. It's hard to grasp some of the specific language. All the
> reflectiveness and translucency, nurbs and poligons aren't so simple.
> The learning curve of maya is pretty steep and when using the .pdf's that
> came with maya 4, it gets somewhat confusing. I have done some tutorials for
> the third cd, and getting along though.
> I was just wondering if there where some very basic tutorials online that
> explane some of the basic terms.

> Nickelangelo

good tutorials.

Post by Nickelangel » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 22:50:01

Quote:> Heh - don't mind us.  There's a typical kneejerk reaction in this forum

that if someone doesn't understand a basic point, he must've

Quote:> warezed it.

> Welcome to the newsgroup  : )

Gracias ;)

good tutorials.

Post by Ludvig Tune » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 19:38:23

The manuals are a good place to START.
But they don't tell you everything. I've read the Maya manuals from cover to
cover and I still flip through the pages now and then. And I still read all
tutorials I can find to learn more.
Here's one simple example that actually has come up in this NG a while ago.
something like this: "How to bind really rigid to a skeleton?".
The guy had tried Rigid Bind but his skin kept deforming. What he didn't
know was that to get the effect he wanted he should make the joints parents
of his objects. The manual doesn't tell anywhere, and you could say that it
should have been obvious to him, but it really isn't for a newbie.
A really simple question to answer, but the guy still got answers like "read
the manual". Which proves that the guy giving the answer really hadn't read
the manual thoroughly himself. He just assumed that the answer would be in
the manual.

And as far as I can recall Maya 3 and earlier versions don't actually come
with any step by step tutorials. The docs just goes through all features one
by one, but without really describing how to use them together. You can buy
Learning Maya separately but it doesn't come with the documentation. It's
only now with version 4 that you get Instant Maya with the online docs.

So I would say that asking for tutorials are a question that deserves an
answer for anyone. The sites ChaosDesigner listed in his answer are good
ones. Especially www.highend3d.com. You can also have a look at
www.creativecow.net. They don't have many tutorials for maya but the Maya
forum is pretty busy.

just my 2 cents

cheers
/Ludde

--
Ludvig Tunel

Remove NO_ and _SPAM from mail address to mail me