Graveyard fog.

Post by Dori Araz » Thu, 15 May 2003 18:28:44

Hey guys!

Here's a question for all you ghoul and ghosts lovers out there.  I have an
establishing shot of a scene in a grave yard "at midnight" kind of look. My
textures really spice it up and give just the right feel though it really
needs some night close to the ground fog to pull it together. I've tried a
clipped environmental fog with an animated 3D clouds texture on it along
with a little clouds paint effects in the background. It looks "cute" at
best but still doesn't convey that soupy fog feeling I'm looking for.

I am a semi noobie when it comes to particle FX animation so I haven't
really exploited that venue.

Any ideas out there? Do you guys know of any place I can start reading up on
particles a bit beyond the Maya default help?

Thanks!

Dori.

Graveyard fog.

Post by Visual » Thu, 15 May 2003 20:54:32

I would put in particles.  You dont need an emitter.  There is something called
a "particle tool".  You can just draw in the particles where you want them.

Make the particle type "cloud".  You might be able to find a good fog texture
at highend3d.com.  Either way, using particles should give you more control
over the look of the fog.

JP

Graveyard fog.

Post by Sy » Fri, 16 May 2003 01:32:12

In that kind of situation, I find that the Paint Effects are the best! They
are much easier to control than particles, and the effect is quite nice. I
did something like it to simulate fog in San Francisco in one of my works.
Take a
look at

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sysite/photoalbum.html

I am sure you can do way better than me, obviously. Hope I gave you some
good idea!

Graveyard fog.

Post by Paul Gunso » Fri, 16 May 2003 09:48:51

> Any ideas out there? Do you guys know of any place I can start reading up on
> particles a bit beyond the Maya default help?

for a realistic fog sequence, i do not recommend particles at all unless
you are prepared for some serious rendering wait time. it takes *ages*
to render a sufficent amount and style of particles for this effect, and
a hardware preview won't give you any idea how the fog will move and
congealate... etc... look into paintFX, and remember to fake what you
can, eg: animated cloud seuqences (maybe initially taken from paintFX
brushes) mapped onto semi-transparent planes, can be just as convincing
as particles depending on the shot.

Graveyard fog.

Post by Dori Araz » Fri, 16 May 2003 18:15:46

Never though about using an animated paint FX sequence as a matted animated
texture. cool idea!:)

Thanks!