mirrior command?

Post by fre » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

i am trying to copy an object that is not symetrical on the any axis. the object
is a leg for a mech( you know like mechworrior2 and battletech....) I can't just copy
the leg and move it over to the other side of the body becuase some of the features
won't be pointing in the right direction( out, away from 0,0,0 )so, i need a mirrior
type of copy to make this happen. I've only been using alias6 for about two
weeks . This fucntion is not imparative to do the model I was just wondering so
I could use it in the future. tanks.

show me the button and i'll push it

mirrior command?

Post by Mark Vearrie » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>i am trying to copy an object that is not symetrical on the any axis. the object
>is a leg for a mech( you know like mechworrior2 and battletech....) I can't just copy
>the leg and move it over to the other side of the body becuase some of the features
>won't be pointing in the right direction( out, away from 0,0,0 )so, i need a mirrior
>type of copy to make this happen. I've only been using alias6 for about two
>weeks . This fucntion is not imparative to do the model I was just wondering so
>I could use it in the future. tanks.

>show me the button and i'll push it

As you copy the leg scale it in a negative value along the axis th new leg will
be on.  This all happens from the pivot piont, so be sure that the piont is
half way between the two legs. This all of course assumes that you have no
solid texturs, they do not copy projection grids, your best bet here would be
to save the leg as active wire( pick it and save active), call it something
else e.g. leg #2 and retrieve it back into the mesh then scale it.  Kind of a
pain but hey, what do expect a mirror button, that would make too much sense.
MAV

mirrior command?

Post by Robert J. Russe » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>i am trying to copy an object that is not symetrical on the any axis. the object
>is a leg for a mech( you know like mechworrior2 and battletech....) I can't just copy
>the leg and move it over to the other side of the body becuase some of the features
>won't be pointing in the right direction( out, away from 0,0,0 )so, i need a mirrior
>type of copy to make this happen. I've only been using alias6 for about two
>weeks . This fucntion is not imparative to do the model I was just wondering so
>I could use it in the future. tanks.

>show me the button and i'll push it

Use "Set Pivot" and place it in the plane where the mirror would be.
Then just use "Copy" with a -1 scaling factor in the direction
perpendicular to the mirror.  If you're still having trouble with this,
move the object (with it's newly set pivot) to the origin and rotate the
object around until you have it oriented perpendicular to a cartesian plane.
I'm not certain, but the abs/rel flag may play a role when copying.

R.J. Russell

mirrior command?

Post by Boris Tursk » Tue, 03 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>  show me the button and i'll push it

(I have only v5.1.1)

Object Tools ( ?!...second menu from the left) -> Copy -O

                                                        ^

  release mouse button on "O"  -------------------------+

In dialog box set <YOUR_REQUIRED_AXIS> scale to -1
Remember to set pivot point to correct location...

Very simple, isn't it?

BT.
UTC Zilina, Slovakia.

mirrior command?

Post by fre » Thu, 05 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>i am trying to copy an object that is not symetrical on the any axis. the object
>>is a leg for a mech( you know like mechworrior2 and battletech....) I can't just copy
>>the leg and move it over to the other side of the body becuase some of the features
>>won't be pointing in the right direction( out, away from 0,0,0 )so, i need a mirrior
>>type of copy to make this happen. I've only been using alias6 for about two
>>weeks . This fucntion is not imparative to do the model I was just wondering so
>>I could use it in the future. tanks.

>>show me the button and i'll push it

>Use "Set Pivot" and place it in the plane where the mirror would be.
>Then just use "Copy" with a -1 scaling factor in the direction
>perpendicular to the mirror.  If you're still having trouble with this,
>move the object (with it's newly set pivot) to the origin and rotate the
>object around until you have it oriented perpendicular to a cartesian plane.
>I'm not certain, but the abs/rel flag may play a role when copying.

Thanks for all the comments about my post for help. I will try copying and
scaling on a negative. And you know with as much time as i spent playing with
that damn copy command I never thought to try scaling it in that way. I was thinking
an overall scaling, not one defined by the axis. very helpful. For the last three
weeks of using alias I have hated it while falling in love with the amount it can do.
I am a happy modeler scince i left that old dog 3ds. I hope I can think of some
more questions to ask. thanks very much again!

show me the button and i'll push it