Ooo a challenge?

Ooo a challenge?

Post by InfinityMachin » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:22:22



I was just curious what sort of things people were working on in this group.
Anyone want to upload a few pics of what they've got working?  It's okay if
you're new, maybe somebody will spot something on how to fix a problem
you've been struggling with.

Chris

 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by Ian Atkinso » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 08:51:49



> I was just curious what sort of things people were working on in this
> group. Anyone want to upload a few pics of what they've got working?
> It's okay if you're new, maybe somebody will spot something on how to
> fix a problem you've been struggling with.

> Chris

I've been working on a large dojo scene as a learning tool, I actually
started using 3DS Max (these shots are from my Max file) but I decided to
switch over to Maya when I saw Gollum, so I'm now re-creating the scene in
Maya!

Probably a bit crappy compared to what you guys turn out, but I'm just
trying to go along and teach myself, I don't have any training or
experience yet really!

The lighting's rubbish, I kinda got stuck when I got to that bit, but I
had exams then so I didn't do any more work on it for a bit. I have bought
a Maya book now (the Maya Savvy one), so hopefully I can start to learn
Maya properly.

Pics:

http://satansbarber.co.uk/files/dojo/

Ian.

 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by Theo » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:17:04




Quote:

> I've been working on a large dojo scene as a learning tool, I actually
> started using 3DS Max (these shots are from my Max file) but I decided
> to switch over to Maya when I saw Gollum, so I'm now re-creating the
> scene in Maya!

whats a dojo?
 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by InfinityMachin » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:02:08


Quote:> I've been working on a large dojo scene as a learning tool, I actually
> started using 3DS Max (these shots are from my Max file) but I decided to
> switch over to Maya when I saw Gollum, so I'm now re-creating the scene in
> Maya!

> Probably a bit crappy compared to what you guys turn out, but I'm just
> trying to go along and teach myself, I don't have any training or
> experience yet really!

> The lighting's rubbish, I kinda got stuck when I got to that bit, but I
> had exams then so I didn't do any more work on it for a bit. I have bought
> a Maya book now (the Maya Savvy one), so hopefully I can start to learn
> Maya properly.

a good quickstart guide for learning maya that i've found is 'exploring
maya: 30 studies in 3d' by maximillian schonherr.  the tutorials are short
and very clear.  i've had some luck with the learning maya book put out by
alias but there's a few snags especially in the nurbs spaceship tutorial
where you almost need someone looking over your shoulder to get through.

 while lighting is a hard concept to teach, i can still give you some good
advice here.  bump maps are a good thing :)  everything has a texture.  alot
of times even if something is flat you need to drop a map into the ambient
color slot so you break up the color, it'll help things look more realistic.
lighting is tough, alot of times lighting will either make or break your
image.  the weapons are intesting even though i don't recognize them :)  is
the roof like that where you practice or are there more support beams?

thanks for letting me a look, if you're interested in some of stuff i've
done i have a maya gallery up at
http://infinitymachine.home.mchsi.com/3d.htm  the doughboy though is the
only really recent addition, some of the other things are a bit old.  i
think it'll give you a good example of how to fill out a room with lots of
objects to give it a more realistic feel.

Chris

 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by djmasala.co » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:44:34





> > I've been working on a large dojo scene as a learning tool, I actually
> > started using 3DS Max (these shots are from my Max file) but I decided
> > to switch over to Maya when I saw Gollum, so I'm now re-creating the
> > scene in Maya!

> whats a dojo?

a Dojo is a martial arts center for training purposes.
 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by Ian Atkinso » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 00:24:53



Quote:> a good quickstart guide for learning maya that i've found is 'exploring
> maya: 30 studies in 3d' by maximillian schonherr.  the tutorials are short
> and very clear.  i've had some luck with the learning maya book put out by
> alias but there's a few snags especially in the nurbs spaceship tutorial
> where you almost need someone looking over your shoulder to get through.

I'll have to see if they've got that one down the library...

Quote:>  while lighting is a hard concept to teach, i can still give you some good
> advice here.  bump maps are a good thing :)  everything has a texture.
alot
> of times even if something is flat you need to drop a map into the ambient
> color slot so you break up the color, it'll help things look more
realistic.
> lighting is tough, alot of times lighting will either make or break your
> image.  the weapons are intesting even though i don't recognize them :)
is
> the roof like that where you practice or are there more support beams?

I've done CGI and advanced CGI at University, so I'm au fait with some of
the
principles of lighting and texturing such as bump mapping, but the stuff we
did
was all hand coded in OpenGL...

http://www.satansbarber.co.uk/computing/programs/artillery/lin_artill...
tm

...for example. It was more the 3DS Max interface that I was struggling
with,
just finding where they've hidden stuff. Hopefully this Maya book will help
with that (now in Maya, rather than Max obviously), it's got lots of nice
examples in.

Quote:> thanks for letting me a look, if you're interested in some of stuff i've
> done i have a maya gallery up at
> http://infinitymachine.home.mchsi.com/3d.htm  the doughboy though is the
> only really recent addition, some of the other things are a bit old.  i
> think it'll give you a good example of how to fill out a room with lots of
> objects to give it a more realistic feel.

There's some cool images there, I like teh 'Voo' bear! hehe, He looks like I
felt at the end of my exams!

Quote:> Chris

Ian.
 
 
 

Ooo a challenge?

Post by Ian Atkinso » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:48:56



Quote:> a good quickstart guide for learning maya that i've found is 'exploring
> maya: 30 studies in 3d' by maximillian schonherr.  the tutorials are short
> and very clear.  i've had some luck with the learning maya book put out by
> alias but there's a few snags especially in the nurbs spaceship tutorial
> where you almost need someone looking over your shoulder to get through.

I'll have to see if they've got that one down the library...

Quote:>  while lighting is a hard concept to teach, i can still give you some good
> advice here.  bump maps are a good thing :)  everything has a texture.
alot
> of times even if something is flat you need to drop a map into the ambient
> color slot so you break up the color, it'll help things look more
realistic.
> lighting is tough, alot of times lighting will either make or break your
> image.  the weapons are intesting even though i don't recognize them :)
is
> the roof like that where you practice or are there more support beams?

I've done CGI and advanced CGI at University, so I'm au fait with some of
the
principles of lighting and texturing such as bump mapping, but the stuff we
did
was all hand coded in OpenGL...

http://www.satansbarber.co.uk/computing/programs/artillery/lin_artill...
tm

...for example. It was more the 3DS Max interface that I was struggling
with,
just finding where they've hidden stuff. Hopefully this Maya book will help
with that (now in Maya, rather than Max obviously), it's got lots of nice
examples in.

Quote:> thanks for letting me a look, if you're interested in some of stuff i've
> done i have a maya gallery up at
> http://infinitymachine.home.mchsi.com/3d.htm  the doughboy though is the
> only really recent addition, some of the other things are a bit old.  i
> think it'll give you a good example of how to fill out a room with lots of
> objects to give it a more realistic feel.

There's some cool images there, I like teh 'Voo' bear! hehe, He looks like I
felt at the end of my exams!

Quote:> Chris

Ian.