Q: OpenMaya

Post by j.. » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Following question concerning the C++ API OpenMaya:
Is it a genuine C++ API this time or just a (strange) wrapper API as
the PowerAnimator had ? Another thing:
I'm working on my master thesis dealing with the acceleration of the
production of high end computer animation. Currently I achieve a
speedup of about 13 times and want to show that it even works with a
professional production system. Is there any german company outside
there willing to offer little support ? I only need someone with
insight to the Alias API to ask a few questions and later a few
advanced animations to render (not on their machines !). Is there
somewhere an online documentation of the Maya API ? The University of
Dortmund where I'm doing will not upgrade in the near future 'cause
the course for geometric modeling holds on...

Thx, Jens

Q: OpenMaya

Post by Larry Philp » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Following question concerning the C++ API OpenMaya:
> Is it a genuine C++ API this time

Yes.  Maya itself is completely written in C++, as is the API.

Quote:> or just a (strange) wrapper API as the PowerAnimator had ?

The PowerAnimator concept of "wrappers" has been ... "retired" :-).

Quote:> Is there somewhere an online documentation of the Maya API ?

Nope.  You have to buy a copy to get the API documentation.

Larry

1. Maya: Question about OpenMaya API and joints

G'afternoon.

I'm writing (for my work) a maya plugin to export models and animation
to our internal format for our game.  I have the exporter working with
static models already, and am now tackling the portion of the exporter
to output animations.  I have not been having any luck trying to
find/walk the skeleton/bone heirarchy and figureout which vertices are
attached to which bones and what their weighting is.

If anyone out there has done something similar, and is willing to share,
or if anyone has even rudimentary examples of finding the bones and
cluster information, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks.

--JT

2. 5.0 Difficulty saving AVIs - AVIFIL32.DLL message

3. OpenMaya/MEL books ???

4. EasyPlot vs DeltaGraph ?

5. Qs on digitizing objects, motion capture, and texturing

6. PShop & Satori

7. Misc. POV Qs

8. network rendering

9. "Povcad" -- latest version and some Qs.

10. Greetings, and my first Qs

11. Newbie Qs: Creating QTVR content

12. FM screening Qs...

13. Performer Qs