Is this worth the $$$..???

Post by Kreg Harris » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

I've been offered a Indigo XZ w/ 32Mb , Irix 5.3 , 17 inch mon. No DAT
drive and NO CDROM drive...the price $6000.00..... is this a good offer??

Will the machine be outdated too soon..??

The goal of this machine is to teach myself Alias Power Animator, It is
not to be a production machine...

Thanks in advance.......

Is this worth the $$$..???

Post by Erik Wessel » Sat, 30 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: I've been offered a Indigo XZ w/ 32Mb , Irix 5.3 , 17 inch mon. No DAT
: drive and NO CDROM drive...the price $6000.00..... is this a good offer??

: Will the machine be outdated too soon..??

: The goal of this machine is to teach myself Alias Power Animator, It is
: not to be a production machine...

: Thanks in advance.......

the XZ isn't quite outdated but certainly not the best desktop graphics
SGI offers.  it falls somewhere between the indy and the extreme i believe.
you're going to need to buy more RAM, so factor that into your cost.
also you didn't mention what the processor is -- that makes a big
difference.

anyway the price seems to be in the ballpark, in my opinion.

erik

Is this worth the $$$..???

Post by Alan Bouc » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

 > > : I've been offered a Indigo XZ w/ 32Mb , Irix 5.3 , 17 inch mon. No DAT
 > > : drive and NO CDROM drive...the price $6000.00..... is this a good offer??
 > >
 > > : Will the machine be outdated too soon..??
 > >
 > > : The goal of this machine is to teach myself Alias Power Animator, It is
 > > : not to be a production machine...
 > >
 > > : Thanks in advance.......
 > >
 > > the XZ isn't quite outdated but certainly not the best desktop graphics
 > > SGI offers.  it falls somewhere between the indy and the extreme i believe.
 > > you're going to need to buy more RAM, so factor that into your cost.
 > > also you didn't mention what the processor is -- that makes a big
 > > difference.
 > >
 > > anyway the price seems to be in the ballpark, in my opinion.
 > >
 > > erik
 >
 > sound's good, but how are you supposed to install/backup anything?  no
 > cdrom? no dat?  does it have an exabyte?  also the indigo line is dead,
 > they switched to the indigo2 platform.

This machine is probably an Indigo2- I don't think XZ ever shipped for the
purple Indigo. It may have an R4000. Maybe craig can clarify.

 > don't get me wrong it's a nice machine that out performes a new indy...

Nope, probably not true for Alias- a new Indy *may* have a faster
processor, and since Alias is not dependent on graphics performance, CPU
performance is a good guage of how Alias will perform.

 > btw.  i didn't think that alias ran on an indy...comments?

Of course you can. It's not as if Alias is dependent on the 3d-hardware -
though v7 has some tools that take some advantage of it. I know quite a
few people who run Alias on Indys- performance is comparable to that of my
Indigo2.

--

       New York, New York

1. Hi, I am doing a paper on 3D-boards, and I am looking for definitions

Hi, I am doing a paper on 3D-boards, and I am looking for definitions
for the abilities of those cards, like:
AlphaBlending
Tri-liniear filtering,
TextureMapping,
And more of those 3D features, can anyone help me with these?

Thanx!
Nick.

2. Addtnl Hardware for 1600x1200 Res

3. Is ACDSee 2.4 worth the upgrade?

4. GnuPlot help!

5. Is Firehand Ember Pro worth the price?

6. wood + windowhighlight shader?

7. Is latest Micrographx Designer worth the upgrade?

8. DEM data

9. Please read, It's worth your time!

10. What's a plugin worth?

11. Abit T400 worth it?