"fake" virtual reality footage

Post by Patrick Li » Sun, 11 Apr 1993 03:46:18

Hello...
  Hey folks, I have an unusual request.  I'm doing a short video segment
on virtual reality (what it is, what it isn't, what people think it is...)
and one of the things I would like to portray is how the definition of the
term is slowly starting to become meaningless, as it gets generalized into
numerous definitions, kind of like what happened to the term "multimedia".
  I was wondering, has anyone seen any adverti*ts or articles toting
a product or idea as "Virtual Reality" that just plain WASN'T?  Or maybe
something that is viewed by popular culture as VR in a misleading way?  I
have seen a few games (Ultima Underworld, Wolfenstein) and other programs
described as being "VR", and I have seen the Internet described as
"*space" many times, but I was looking for something more blatant.
("This new teacup design is virtual reality!" in big letters would be
ideal :-)
  In any case, if anyone has seen anything like this, could you point me
in the right direction (tell me what magazine, TV show/commercial, movie,
etc. I might find it in.)  Response by e-mail is cool, but by all means
post if you feel like discussing this.
  Thanks!
Pat Lipo

"fake" virtual reality footage

Post by MCCORMICK JOSHUA » Tue, 13 Apr 1993 05:23:14

Quote:> Hello...
> I have seen the Internet described as ... "*space".

Internet IS *space. *space is a number of users being able to contact
a number of systems through a network. That isn't the exact definition, since
I'm too lazy too look up the exact words.

A book you might want to read is Silicon Mirage: The Art and Science of Virtual Reality, which gives good VR and *space definitions, among other fun techie things.  You might also check out the newsgroup sci.virtual-worlds.

Post by Mike Ban » Wed, 14 Apr 1993 11:33:27

>Hello...
>  Hey folks, I have an unusual request.  I'm doing a short video segment
>on virtual reality (what it is, what it isn't, what people think it is...)
>and one of the things I would like to portray is how the definition of the
>term is slowly starting to become meaningless, as it gets generalized into
>numerous definitions, kind of like what happened to the term "multimedia".
>  I was wondering, has anyone seen any adverti*ts or articles toting
>a product or idea as "Virtual Reality" that just plain WASN'T?  Or maybe
>something that is viewed by popular culture as VR in a misleading way?

The Lawnmower Man

--

Johns Hopkins University / Applied Physics Laboratory

1. "Fake" virtual reality

The most ridiculous example of VR-exploitation I've seen so far is the
"Virtual Reality Clothing Company" which recently opened up in Vancouver. As
far as I can tell it's just another "chic" clothes spot. Although it would be
interesting if they were selling "virtual clothing"....

E-mail me if you want me to dig up their phone # and you can probably get
some promotional lit.

MP
(8^)-

2. Suggestions for VCD/DVD Software that ***gasp*** WORKS?!

3. Problem with patterns in PSP 7.0

4. ****"""""BUG IN PROGRAM"""*****

5. B&W as Brown & W

6. America Rejects Fake CG "Reality" For Real Reality

7. "Virtual Painter" plug-in

8. Virtual stuntmen - "traditional" mocap becomes obsolete

9. """"LOOKING FOR METRAEYES MODELLER AND TURBO.PXP FOR AN EXCHANGE"""""

10. Dss Satellite "HU"&"H"card programming click link

11. ***WHICH IS BEST CAPTURE"SNAPPY""AIGOTCHA"?***