HELP IN CHOOSING AN ANIMATION SCHOOL

Post by eoca.. » Thu, 16 May 1996 04:00:00

I'M ENROLLING IN A SCHOOL IN VANCOUVER, B.C., CANADA CALLED CDIS
(CENTER FOR DIGITAL IMAGING AND SOUND)

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER HEARD OF IT.
IT COSTS GOOD MONEY TO ENROLL SO I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT I MADE THE
RIGHT DECISION.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED.

P.C SORRY FOR THE CAPS!

Post by Mark Wilkin » Fri, 17 May 1996 04:00:00

>I'M ENROLLING IN A SCHOOL IN VANCOUVER, B.C., CANADA CALLED CDIS
>(CENTER FOR DIGITAL IMAGING AND SOUND)

>I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS EVER HEARD OF IT.
>IT COSTS GOOD MONEY TO ENROLL SO I HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT I MADE THE
>RIGHT DECISION.

  Most people actually producing CGI or computer animated material seem to
agree
that a background in TRADITIONAL animation is, if not a prerequisite, extremely
useful in computer animation.

  I'd make sure the school has traditional animation coursework in addition to
CGI, and if not pick another school.  Many companies will not give you a second
look as a CGI trainee unless you have some traditional background.

Quote:

>ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED.

  No problem!

-- Mark

Mark Wilkins                         | "With the dog and the weapons, I'm
Walt Disney Feature Animation        | prepared for the future..."
Burbank, CA                          |

                 I do not speak for The Walt Disney Company!

1. HELP: Choosing a school

Im considering a possible enrollment at a school called Full Sail. Its
located in Orlando, Florida and is in driving distance to me. The school
costs a lot of cash and Id require loans to attend. Something Id be
paying for the rest of my life.  Im still unsure if its worth my while.
I spoke to the folks there and was impressed with the facilities but
question the amount of education they provide. I have experience on Max2
but cant get any time on an SGI w/ alias wavefront or softimage. This
would provide valuable time on other packages. They also claim a 85% job
placement rate. Ive been teaching myself Max2 for a while and would be
using the opportunity provided by Full Sail to get my foot in door with
a job or internship. Im assuming that to get a job in the 3d graphics
field its not just "what" but also "who you know." Is full sail worth
having backing me up? So my questions are:

Anyone attend Full Sail and can back up their claims?

Anyone get a job/internship after attending the school? (I understand a
good portfolio is required to do this)

Anyone have a bad experience with the school?

Id appreciate any advice on this matter. Any other ideas would be great.
Im open to any option. This is very important to me. This would be an
extremely BIG investment for me and I dont want to waste cash. Should I
just go buy MAYA for the 27k?  : )

Thanks in advance,
Edward McBride

2. help with JAVA application launching a netscape browser

3. help my school choose btw Wavefront & Alias

4. outsetting/insetting a bezier path

5. Need help choosing a primary animation app

6. Filter/Plugin for Creating Puzzle Pieces?

7. Help me choose 3D/animation package

8. Video Driver for Autocad rel 10c2

9. Help with choosing system for animation sought!

10. Need help choosing a primary animation app

11. HELP ME CHOOSE AN ANIMATION PROGRAM, PLEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Need help choosing a primary animation app