Need Advice RE: buying a graphics workstation

Need Advice RE: buying a graphics workstation

Post by James E. Gree » Wed, 14 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I'm considering the purchase of a PC for the purpose of adding graphics
and animation to short training videos.  I would also like to start
editing on this PC.  I've done a bit of homework and I am currently
looking at a system with the following specs:

Hardware:
Pentium 150 /triton 256cache
16M RAM
1.3G PCI hard drive
64bit diamond 2M RAM
miro dc-1 (video capture card)

Software:
Corel 6
Photoshop
Premiere

Is this system workable?
Do I need a scsi hard drive?
How much of speed increase will I realize with 32M RAM?
      with a 4M or 3D video card?
Could I use Lightwave on this system?

Answers to ANY of these questions would be GREATLY appreciated!  I can
currently only justify spending about $3000 (not counting software).
However, if a little more cash will make a big difference please let me
know.

Thanks for your time :)

Need Advice RE: buying a graphics workstation

Post by George Maest » Thu, 15 Feb 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:

>I'm considering the purchase of a PC for the purpose of adding
graphics
>and animation to short training videos.  I would also like to start
>editing on this PC.  I've done a bit of homework and I am currently
>looking at a system with the following specs:

>Hardware:
>Pentium 150 /triton 256cache
>16M RAM
>1.3G PCI hard drive
>64bit diamond 2M RAM
>miro dc-1 (video capture card)

>Software:
>Corel 6
>Photoshop
>Premiere

>Is this system workable?

   Yes.

Quote:>Do I need a scsi hard drive?

   If you're doing full motion video, probably yes -- Get an A/V drive.

Quote:>How much of speed increase will I realize with 32M RAM?

   32 MB RAM is *minimum* for serious work

Quote:>      with a 4M or 3D video card?

   Not essential, but if you have a large monitor, 4M will
   give you true color at all resolutions.  2M is limited
   to 800x600 max.

Quote:>Could I use Lightwave on this system?

   With 32MB of RAM, definitely.

1. Help / advice needed for graphics workstation hardware

I am looking for some solid advice on hardware necessary for a Mac based
graphics workstation.

The current configuration is:

- PowerPC 7300/180
- Xclaim 3d video card /w 4mb VRAM (one monitor), 4mb on board VRAM (2nd
monitor)

The software that will be used is:

- Pagemaker, Photoshop, Illustrator
- no 3d rendering

How much RAM should this workstation have??  Is there a 'standard' for
the amount of RAM on a graphics artist's workstation???

Or, is there anywhere where I could find out this info other than
newsgroups??  ie. know of a good informative web site?

I do appreciate the help - thx.

2. stereo GL rendering to videoout (O2)

3. Help / advice needed for MAC graphics workstation

4. Error when rendering AVIs in Max

5. I need to create visual aids for Sunday School Classes - Need advice on software to buy

6. Epson color 800 vs original color printer

7. WHERE TO BUY WORKSTATION FOR GRAPHICS??

8. Advice needed on Imaging workstations...

9. need advice on workstation

10. Graphics workstation advice NT vs. Mac OS

11. Need advice buying a Mac

12. Buying New- Need Advice