MH3D or AM, particle systems?

Post by Ed Averil » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hello!  I'm looking into getting a different modeller for handling character
modelling and animation, but (if at all possible) I'd like to remain in the
same package for an entire project.  I'd like to have particle systems, a
good materials editor, and a flexible modeller - and hopefully a way to
reduce final poly counts for RT3D.  Will either of the Hash products handle
this task, or should I start saving up for 3DS MAX or Lightwave?

TIA

..ed..

MH3D or AM, particle systems?

Post by Roger A. Moncrie » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hello!  I'm looking into getting a different modeller for handling character
> modelling and animation, but (if at all possible) I'd like to remain in the
> same package for an entire project.  I'd like to have particle systems, a
> good materials editor, and a flexible modeller - and hopefully a way to
> reduce final poly counts for RT3D.  Will either of the Hash products handle
> this task, or should I start saving up for 3DS MAX or Lightwave?

> TIA

> ..ed..

Ed,
You might want to consider Imagine for Windows. Check out the review on
my page.
--
Roger A. Moncrief
http://www.indrev.com

Indepth reviews of Imagine for Windows, Ray Dream Studio 4.1, Bryce 2,
World Construction Set 2, Detailer, Goo, Click & Create, CourseWorks 3.2
CBT, etc. on line now. trueSpace 3 in work. All pages now enchanced with
music by the Keyboard Wizard.

MH3D or AM, particle systems?

Post by Bryan Coo » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hello!  I'm looking into getting a different modeller for handling character
> modelling and animation, but (if at all possible) I'd like to remain in the
> same package for an entire project.  I'd like to have particle systems, a
> good materials editor, and a flexible modeller - and hopefully a way to
> reduce final poly counts for RT3D.  Will either of the Hash products handle
> this task, or should I start saving up for 3DS MAX or Lightwave?

> TIA

> ..ed..

Both do this.
--
                        Bryan Cool
                        **********

MH3D or AM, particle systems?

Post by Andrew Ryan Cha » Sun, 12 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>> Hello!  I'm looking into getting a different modeller for handling character
>> modelling and animation, but (if at all possible) I'd like to remain in the
>> same package for an entire project.  I'd like to have particle systems, a
>> good materials editor, and a flexible modeller - and hopefully a way to
>> reduce final poly counts for RT3D.  Will either of the Hash products handle
>> this task, or should I start saving up for 3DS MAX or Lightwave?
>Both do this.

        I don't think either of the Hash products, v5 do this.
Apparently, version 5 is a complete re-write from scratch, and there
aren't particle systems in it.  Yet.  (I think that Hash might add it back
in eventually)

        As it is a spline-based program, I guess you can set it to reduce
polys when it comes time to export to a polygonal file format.

        Check out http://www.veryComputer.com/
products.

--
For once the M*ABC unites all mankind free, then and only then, no
matter how rough the trip, how changed the scroll, you are the captain

MH3D or AM, particle systems?

Post by John W. Mark » Tue, 14 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: > Hello!  I'm looking into getting a different modeller for handling character
: > modelling and animation, but (if at all possible) I'd like to remain in the
: > same package for an entire project.  I'd like to have particle systems, a
: > good materials editor, and a flexible modeller - and hopefully a way to
: > reduce final poly counts for RT3D.  Will either of the Hash products handle
: > this task, or should I start saving up for 3DS MAX or Lightwave?

: Both do this.

WARNING:  In Version 4, both do this.  However, with version 5, I think
particles and dynamics are limited to master.  I'd check www.hash.com
first, or perhapse e-mail them to make sure if it's not posted as such.
(You might want to email anyway, as the last time I looked, their
pages still seemed to cover V4.)

John-

1. MH3D or AM questions

To any Hash (/TrueSpace3) users:

        I'm preparing to do a five minute project this year where the main
characters are catapillars, butterflys, and maybe a couple other insects
done in a cartoonish style.
        Currently my 3D experience is using TrueSpace3 and some of LightWave4
(I only own TrueSpace though). Unfortunately is doesn't look like
TrueSpace is going to be up to the job of sophisicated character
animation (though I think I could do the project, I have a feeling that
MH3D could give much better results).
        Before I buy MH3D though, I had a few questions that I couldn't find
the answer to in the FAQs or the feature lists on Hash's site:

        1. Speed-wise can anyone give me a subjective idea of how well MH3D
would perform on a P5/200 with 64MB ram. I can do nearly photorealistic
work with that amount of memory in TS in about 3-6 minutes per frame
(varies widly according to scene of course).

        2. Is there a reduced price upgrade from MH3D to Animation Master?

        3. I'm hearing rumors of there being another version of MH3D coming out
soon... should I wait?

        4. I've also heard things about version 5 not being very stable on a
PC. Have the stability issues been addressed in version 5.25? I'm used
to TrueSpace crashing a bit in the modeling stage - but it's pretty
solid in the rendering. Is MH3D up to long rendering sessions
unattended?

Any help that users could offer would be most appreciated.

spenc

2. Best bang for the buck?

3. info on paintbrush systems and physics particle systems

4. 3D Studio Max on Sale

5. Another Particle bug, or am I a moron?

6. ActiveMDIChild.Print doesn't print everything I need...

7. Adv. Particle Question-particles emiting particles

8. Particles, particles particles

9. Particle system hair in Blender

10. Particle Systems in Pov Ray ?

11. POV and particle systems