Newbie question regarding 3D

Post by igor r. choromansk » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The answer to your question isn't all that simple for at least 3
reasons:
1. Talent rather than tools matter most when it comes to animation
2. Some packages are stronger in some areas than others
3. People tend to be platform biased
So accept my take on this knowing that I prefer to work with SGIs/Macs.

The best program to learn 3D on that is both very affordable and capable
of
broadcast/film graphics (Men in Black, Babylon 5, etc.) is LIGHTWAVE.
It'll do most of what you may need be it effects or characters. You'll
be up and running in minutes and you won't outgrow it any time soon.
There's a version of it for almost any platform.

Here's a very basic list of 4 groups of packages beginning with consumer

products and ending with high-end workstation solutions. It's in no way
complete, but will give you a general idea. 3D Studio Max and Lightwave
have the largest following by far. Pick up 3D Design and/or CGW to learn
more.

Truespace
RayDream

Infinity 3D
Strata Studio Pro

Electric Image & formZ
Lightwave
3D Studio Max

Softimage
Alias
Maya

cheers,
- igor

Newbie question regarding 3D

Post by BGeverd » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am a computer graphics designer with 12 years experience with various graphic
programs, however, no experience in 3D animation.

I am interested in your opinion as to which programs (and platform) are best to
start with and which are ultimately used on a professional basis for 3D
animation in multimedia presentions and/or film.

Thank you for any help you may offer, it is greatly appriciated.

Regards,
Brian Geverd
SPORTS HARDWEAR - custom soccer uniforms
http://www.sportshardwear.com

Newbie question regarding 3D

Post by Stan The M » Fri, 27 Mar 1998 04:00:00

(snip)

Quote:>Here's a very basic list of 4 groups of packages beginning with consumer

>products and ending with high-end workstation solutions. It's in no way
>complete, but will give you a general idea. 3D Studio Max and Lightwave
>have the largest following by far. Pick up 3D Design and/or CGW to learn
>more.

>Truespace
>RayDream

>Infinity 3D
>Strata Studio Pro

>Electric Image & formZ
>Lightwave
>3D Studio Max

Cinema 4D

Quote:>Softimage
>Alias
>Maya

Stan
--
Stan The Man
+++* under this Macintosh+++

Newbie question regarding 3D

Post by . » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Ye ye but when you don't have the money for a SGI then go for a pentuim II
with a good AGP grapics card. (beter is with two pentuim II processors)

and of you go indeed with LIGHTWAVE or 3D STUDIO MAX but it's all in the
mind if you are a dreamer you'll get the best results use your imagination
and you'll get the greatest ani of your world

good luck :)

1. Newbie question regarding .pov versus .pob

Hi, all:

I have some .pov files that I need to convert
into .pob files.  My version of PoV (3.1g) only
seems to know about .pov files.  I've read a lot
on the net about support for developing
applications that use .pob format, but I've not
yet come across an application that will actually
read .pov and output .pob.  Any suggestions as to
which application to use for this conversion?
Thanks for your help.

-Boyd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. your mail

3. Stupid Newbie Question regarding transparency

4. newbie questions

5. newbie question regarding resolution, dpi and print sizing

6. EPS from Illustrator will not print in Freehand

7. Newbie question regarding orientation of the normal vector.

8. How to export in maya

9. Newbie question regarding clipping

10. Question regarding hardware and 3d graphics programs

11. Question regarding 3D-Studio MAX R2 (Boolean)

12. QUESTION regarding 3D Studio Max R2

13. QUESTION:Regarding WinNT 4.0 and installing a 3D/accellerator crad