Cheap motion capture techniques for cars - suggestions?

Cheap motion capture techniques for cars - suggestions?

Post by Bruce Sutherlan » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:55:53

I'm interested in digitally recording the motion of a car for the
purpose of a 3D animation. It's a hobby project, so my budget is
limited to around $200 Australian. I don't imagine there would be
existing commercial solutions in that price range, but I'm open to
suggestions. I would like to be able to know the position of the car's
chassis in three dimensions, sampling data at least ten times per
second. The recordings themselves will be a few minutes long at most.
The car will be driving in a relatively flat, open and limited area.

At present, my best idea involves three triaxial accelerometers and
microprocessors connected to a notebook PC using a serial interface
(the notebook is not included in the budget of course). My knowledge
of electronics is very basic but I have friends who can help me with
the design and construction of circuits.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Bruce Sutherland.

Cheap motion capture techniques for cars - suggestions?

Post by MSu10493 » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:15:33

Digit or Computer Arts magazines had a free working version of Mokey available
some time back. Automatically motion-track cars, even from hand-held Dv
footage. Then take the motion files and apply them to your model.

You could put some bright tape on the corners of the car and on some sticks
poked into the roadside. Paint the sticks out later, motion-track the dots with
combustion, shake, digital fusion, etc. and again apply to model. Right now you
get digital fusion free with a copy of lightwave 7.5, and they'll upgrade you
to vers. 8 for free later this year. That's you motion-extraction AND your
modeling/ animation, for one price!l;-)

Cheap motion capture techniques for cars - suggestions?

Post by Bruce Sutherlan » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:40:26

Thanks for the ideas!