!*!How do you bill for animation?!*!

Post by ifzf.. » Thu, 24 Mar 1994 02:31:19

To all 3D graphics people and animators :

I am an animator who has recently moved to Austin, TX. I have
asked around to find out about what people are charging for
works and there seems to be as many different billing methods as
there are animators. Is there a conventional system for billing
broadcast video animation.  If you are doing this kind of work, how
are you billing, and how much.  Do people normally charge by the
project, by the hour, by the finised second or what?  I would be
interested in hearing what methods have worked best for you.  Also,
should the price vary from platform to platform and software to software?
Finally, I would like to know how much you started charging for animation
and/or graphics work when you first started (whether you were paid salary or
on contract basis).  Any comments will be greatly appreciated.  Please
post or send mail to :

John :

THANKS!
asked around to a number of people to find out how their billing

Post by Ralph De Stefa » Fri, 25 Mar 1994 01:02:35

> To all 3D graphics people and animators :

> I am an animator who has recently moved to Austin, TX. I have
> asked around to find out about what people are charging for
> works and there seems to be as many different billing methods as
> there are animators. Is there a conventional system for billing
> broadcast video animation.  If you are doing this kind of work, how
> are you billing, and how much.  Do people normally charge by the
> project, by the hour, by the finised second or what?  I would be
> interested in hearing what methods have worked best for you.  Also,
> should the price vary from platform to platform and software to software?
> Finally, I would like to know how much you started charging for animation
> and/or graphics work when you first started (whether you were paid salary or
> on contract basis).  Any comments will be greatly appreciated.  Please
> post or send mail to :

I am an animator in the Chicago area.  Standard Wavefront time is $1000.00
an hour.  This price is in a major post house, and provides real-time
results within that time slot.  Most other animation breaks down to
approximately $1000 per second.  Each project is different though... If you
are doing computer animation, the cost of equipment mainteance and upgrades
should be added into your rate.  But traditionally, most animation ranges
from $1000.00 to $1500.00 per second of animation.  This may sound high to
perspective clients, however it is definetly scraping the bottom of the
barrel in providing you with a living.  Animation is an art form and as I'm
sure you know takes much more than technical "computer" know-how.  Good
luck with your query...and let me know how the bussiness is...

1. Bill boarding with Bill

I've been struggling with getting billboarding working properly.
The code below will with hold texture properly, but still
reveals the quad underneath, where i want it to display nothing
if the alpha is > .5.

Can anyone help?

Bill

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);
glPixelStorei(GL_UNPACK_ALIGNMENT,1);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,NextTextureID);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL_REPEAT);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL_REPEAT);
glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV,GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE,GL_DECAL);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
        glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,4,x,y,0,GL_RGBA,GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,data);

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT|GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
glEnable(GL_ALPHA_TEST);
glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER,0.5f);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glColor3f(0.9f,0,0);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f,1.0f);
glVertex3f(x1,y1,z1);
glTexCoord2f(1.0f,1.0f);
glVertex3f(x2,y1,z2);
glTexCoord2f(1.0f,0.0f);
glVertex3f(x2,y2,z2);
glTexCoord2f(0.0f,0.0f);
glVertex3f(x1,y2,z1);

glEnd();
glFinish();
::SwapBuffers(mpGLDC->GetSafeHdc());

--
Bill Ferster
34313 Welbourne Road

2. PowerMac PowerTower Pro

3. It's done, done, done!

4. 3D studio -> video?

5. billing methods for animation

6. LW 6.5 In Beta ???

7. Billing for animation

8. My humble Website

9. billing methods for animation

10. animation billing , any freelancers or small companies watching

11. Anyone Doing Exclusivly Animation Work?

12. animation done - Took 500 hrs

13. Showing video while doing palette animation in another window