3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Jon Robert » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious
about mastering a 3D animation/modeling/renering platform and it looks
like it is down to these two. I tried Lightwave and found it to be
powerful but clumsy and un-intuitive. I have been using Max2 now for
about 6 months but A/W is still out there. Can anyone give me a
comparison between the two?

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

night and day ....

--
...IAN SKINNER
...EGO A.D.

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Christopher Beck » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hahah.  Well, A|W is a professional app. 3DSMAX2 is well, semi-pro you could
call it.  Theyre just meant for completely different users and purposes. But
I'm a big 3DSMAX2 user and don't find it limiting me in many ways at all,
but if YOU completely wanna go a step higher take a look at Maya.  It's the
best of the best out there now.  It's just come out for WinNT and blows SI
away in modelling and animation.

>night and day ....

>> I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious
>> about mastering a 3D animation/modeling/renering platform and it looks
>> like it is down to these two. I tried Lightwave and found it to be
>> powerful but clumsy and un-intuitive. I have been using Max2 now for
>> about 6 months but A/W is still out there. Can anyone give me a
>> comparison between the two?

>--
>...IAN SKINNER
>...EGO A.D.
>...ON.CA.
>...Animation & Post Production
>...NOTICE TO BULK EMAILER(S): Pursuant to US Code,
>...Title 47, Chapter 5,
>...Subchapter II, 227, any and all unsolicited
>...commercial e-mail sent to
>...this address is subject to a download and
>...archival fee in the amount
>...of $500 US...and a boot to the head ,caber in the skull
>...and other sundrie nasties.....

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Ezra Marvin Chas » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

If you can afford it, there is no compelling reason _not to go with Alias
(most likely, Maya at this point).  I'm assuming that if you've narrowed
your search down to these two, you've already looked at their price tags.

Regarding interfaces, I'm familiar with those of Max, Lightwave, and
PowerAnimator.  I won't speak of the other two, but I find Alias to be
mostly very intelligently designed.  Now, if Maya's interface is as good
as they say it is...

Post by gfx.. » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>night and day ....

>> I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious
>> about mastering a 3D animation/modeling/renering platform and it looks
>> like it is down to these two. I tried Lightwave and found it to be
>> powerful but clumsy and un-intuitive. I have been using Max2 now for
>> about 6 months but A/W is still out there. Can anyone give me a
>> comparison between the two?

Day and night?
remove the spam from my email box to speak with me

Web address
http://www.potomacvmi.net

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by gfx.. » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:14:14 -0400, "Christopher Becks"

>Hahah.  Well, A|W is a professional app. 3DSMAX2 is well, semi-pro you could
>call it.  Theyre just meant for completely different users and purposes. But
>I'm a big 3DSMAX2 user and don't find it limiting me in many ways at all,
>but if YOU completely wanna go a step higher take a look at Maya.  It's the
>best of the best out there now.  It's just come out for WinNT and blows SI
>away in modelling and animation.

It does? "Beep... would you like to try for the second round wjere the
prizes really double?"

Sorry Maya is wonderful, way coolest interface and has some new
wonderful features, but SI is a workhorse that includes all that
hollywood seems to need (in 95% of the cases) Maya is fine tuned (and
advertised as such) for Character Animation. "I wanna be a char-anim"
person, but I also need the regular stuff (my work doesn't wanna pay
for cganim though). Alos there is a lot more 'already' out there on
SI, far less on Maya!

remove the spam from my email box to speak with me

Web address
http://www.potomacvmi.net

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Jon Robert » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Well, That's good to see. Now...which is night and which is day?!?!?!? --And
why?

Post by Lightwa » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious
>about mastering a 3D animation/modeling/renering platform and it looks
>like it is down to these two. I tried Lightwave and found it to be
>powerful but clumsy and un-intuitive. I have been using Max2 now for
>about 6 months but A/W is still out there. Can anyone give me a
>comparison between the two?

  I would also add SI's Sumatra to the list, if not to the top of the list - if they can deliver
what they promise. I suggest you check out their website.

 Regards,

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Mike Not » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

in my humble opinion.... Max is a great program that I hate..... I can't
stand working it and almost refused too....  Alias is something else.  If
you were switch I caution you in that its a different way of working.  Not
that Max isn't serious, cause there is a lot of serious jobs to be had
using Max.  While animation is simular in both programs. If you understand
bones, and motion curves... then you should be okay.  As for modeling, it's
a little different nad more powerful in alias.  make sure you understand
Nurbs (not MAX2 Nurbs) and spline modeling.  I'd check out a small little
modeler named Rhino that's pretty kewl and it's easy to learn the splin
modleing concept if you don't know.  Both are good apps.  Different things
are easier in either and it's really what you feel comfortable using.  If I
had my way I'd use ElectricImage for everything but that's not realistic.
If you are comfortable in MAx don't completely abandon it.....but by all
means explore.......

Quote:> I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious

Post by Jim McMorrow/Bree O'Mar » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I am now in the valley of decision here. I want to begin getting serious
> about mastering a 3D animation/modeling/renering platform and it looks
> like it is down to these two. I tried Lightwave and found it to be
> powerful but clumsy and un-intuitive. I have been using Max2 now for
> about 6 months but A/W is still out there. Can anyone give me a
> comparison between the two?

I can tell you Alias Maya (base) is a great piece of software. But it's
expensive and you don't get all the fancy stuff unless you buy another
three modules and only one is available on NT at the moment MayaFX.

If your using Max I don't really know what more MayaNT will do for you
and haven't you already kind of made up your mind if you're using Max2?

Jim

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Christopher Beck » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Well, obviously that's the case since Maya is VERY new and studios wont buy
it until they see how its popularity grows over a year and how many schools
start teaching it.  How can a studio make a movie with Maya when there
aren't 3D artists yet that have mastered the program.

>On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:14:14 -0400, "Christopher Becks"

>>Hahah.  Well, A|W is a professional app. 3DSMAX2 is well, semi-pro you
could
>>call it.  Theyre just meant for completely different users and purposes.
But
>>I'm a big 3DSMAX2 user and don't find it limiting me in many ways at all,
>>but if YOU completely wanna go a step higher take a look at Maya.  It's
the
>>best of the best out there now.  It's just come out for WinNT and blows SI
>>away in modelling and animation.

>It does? "Beep... would you like to try for the second round wjere the
>prizes really double?"

>Sorry Maya is wonderful, way coolest interface and has some new
>wonderful features, but SI is a workhorse that includes all that
>hollywood seems to need (in 95% of the cases) Maya is fine tuned (and
>advertised as such) for Character Animation. "I wanna be a char-anim"
>person, but I also need the regular stuff (my work doesn't wanna pay
>for cganim though). Alos there is a lot more 'already' out there on
>SI, far less on Maya!

>remove the spam from my email box to speak with me

>Web address
>http://www.potomacvmi.net

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by Lawrence Dillar » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

The flip side of that though, is to become one of the few that are
proficient in the program so that when the producers start calling around
your name is the one that comes up.

>Well, obviously that's the case since Maya is VERY new and studios wont buy
>it until they see how its popularity grows over a year and how many schools
>start teaching it.  How can a studio make a movie with Maya when there
>aren't 3D artists yet that have mastered the program.

>>On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:14:14 -0400, "Christopher Becks"

>>>Hahah.  Well, A|W is a professional app. 3DSMAX2 is well, semi-pro you
>could
>>>call it.  Theyre just meant for completely different users and purposes.
>But
>>>I'm a big 3DSMAX2 user and don't find it limiting me in many ways at all,
>>>but if YOU completely wanna go a step higher take a look at Maya.  It's
>the
>>>best of the best out there now.  It's just come out for WinNT and blows
SI
>>>away in modelling and animation.

>>It does? "Beep... would you like to try for the second round wjere the
>>prizes really double?"

>>Sorry Maya is wonderful, way coolest interface and has some new
>>wonderful features, but SI is a workhorse that includes all that
>>hollywood seems to need (in 95% of the cases) Maya is fine tuned (and
>>advertised as such) for Character Animation. "I wanna be a char-anim"
>>person, but I also need the regular stuff (my work doesn't wanna pay
>>for cganim though). Alos there is a lot more 'already' out there on
>>SI, far less on Maya!

>>remove the spam from my email box to speak with me

>>Web address
>>http://www.potomacvmi.net

3D Studio Max or Alias|Wavefront??????

Post by gfx.. » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:56:41 -0700, Jim McMorrow/Bree O'Mara

>I can tell you Alias Maya (base) is a great piece of software. But it's
>expensive and you don't get all the fancy stuff unless you buy another
>three modules and only one is available on NT at the moment MayaFX.

>If your using Max I don't really know what more MayaNT will do for you
>and haven't you already kind of made up your mind if you're using Max2?

>Jim

The Nurbs control is better in Maya, but the polygon tools are better
(arghh... I can't say t...  ) in Max....

All in all, Max is ok, but I love Maya's interface, MEL is way cool
(to learn a scripting language on they fly right from the machine is
the best thought anyone elver had...) and Artisian look's even better
than the main part of Maya, BUT if you go by price and features, take
another look at LW (5.6 is a good bit cleaner and better than 5). Or
if you already have max an want better control over you nurbs, try
Formz 3.0, vunderful modeler!

best Days.

remove the spam from my email box to speak with me

Web address
http://www.potomacvmi.net

1. Importing 3D STUDIO model files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ?

I would like to enquire about the possibility of importing 3D STUDIO model
files into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT.

For SOFTIMAGE 3D there is a plugin available from Minerva Custom Effects
called "3DS2Soft". It states:
"The 3DS2Soft effect lets you import 3D STUDIO model files into SOFTIMAGE
3D. The result is a hierarchy of SOFTIMAGE 3D meshes with any local
material correctly assigned." (Minerva Custom Effects User's Manual,
p.110)

Is anything similar available for ALIAS/WAVEFRONT ? I can't seem to find
any information in the user's manuals.

I know it is possible to import files from 3D STUDIO into ALIAS/WAVEFRONT
as DXF as well as IGES files.
However from past experience, trying to import model files from STRATA
STUDIO (Macintosh) to 3D STUDIO (PC) it created a lot of problems: lost of
detail; lost of holes and undercuts; lost of animation paths; lost of
textures.

Also in WIRED, April 1996, p. 178, "Cameron Angle", James Cameron States:
"At Digital Domein  we're actually using lower-cost platforms, just PCs
basically, to do a lot of preliminary modeling, texture mapping, and bump
mapping before we ship it up to the SGIs' which have the higher cost-rate
for animation."

How do they do it? Please give advice.

Thank you in anticipation for your time and assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Johann van der Schijff
--
Groningen
The Netherlands

WWW: http://www.media-gn.nl/people/johannvdS/index.html

2. Problem saving in PSP format

3. Alias / Wavefront VS 3D STUDIO

4. mov to avi

5. best 3D Studio Max books (was Re: 3d Studio Max)

6. My first major project - check it out

7. sale 3d studio max verkaufe 3d studio max

8. 3D Studio MAX 1.2 3 D Studio MAX 1.2 3D Studio MAX 1.2 3D Studio MAX 1.2

9. onyx2: Alias wavefront studio tools not running on third pipe

10. Alias|Wavefront Design Studio - Amazing offer! (UK)

11. FA: Alias|Wavefront Studio 8.5 Manuals

12. June 1 - Alias Wavefront Studio Tools Demo in Kansas City