Reviews of graphics software

Post by Martin Chann » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:23:28

Help! I am new to computer graphics and animation, and before I spend
a lot of money I want to be sure I am getting the right program. Can
anyone help me find published reviews of the various alternatives? I
would like to find something like what Consumer Reports does for cars
etc. Thanks. Martin

Reviews of graphics software

Post by gita la » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:24:57

Quote:>Help! I am new to computer graphics and animation, and before I spend
>a lot of money I want to be sure I am getting the right program. Can
>anyone help me find published reviews of the various alternatives? I
>would like to find something like what Consumer Reports does for cars
>etc. Thanks. Martin

There is no "right" program.  Software is just a tool.  Granted, some
tools will make particular tasks easier, while some will make you work
harder to achieve the effect you're looking for; in the end, however,
it comes down to basic skills.  There are many freeware/shareware
applications that you can try before you spring for a commercial one.
For example, you might be interested in checking out:

POV-Ray
http://www.povray.org

Blender
http://www.blender.org

If you'd like to go commercial right away, the following resources may
be of use:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/3q00/3dapps/3dapps-1.html

http://beta.experts-exchange.com/Web/Graphics/Q_20155534.html

http://www.worldforge.org/dev/eng/3d_compare_html

http://www.webreference.com/authoring/graphics/software/3d.html

http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Graphics/3d/Tools.html

A search for "3D modeling rendering software compare," or some
permutation thereof, on google should yield some suitable results.  I
have assumed - perhaps incorrectly - that you mean 3D graphics and
animation.  If you meant 2D, your options are more limited, and
therefore your choice easier to make :)

Hope that helps,
.g

* drop your pants to reply via e-mail ;)

Reviews of graphics software

Post by Martin Chann » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:41:34

Very helpful response. Thank you very much. Martin C.