Illustrator to 3d line animation

Post by brodyh » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:46:29

I am a fine artist trying to find the right software for animating my
isometric 3d drawings.  In a sense I work in 2 and a half D.  I
currently draw in Illustrator by clicking on the vertices of an
isometric grid to make complex, almost Baroque images that seem
spatial, but would like to transform my environment to 3D so that I
can animate a solid version of these line drawings.  Of the 3D
programs I've seen, Lightwave is very un-user friendly and full of
problems, but it will render wireframes with definable line
thickness--though not hidden line removal.  Cheaper programs rarely
allow control over line thickness in WF renders.  None of the
animation programs I've seen is well set up to construct elaborate
right angle polygons based on a grid--the models would have to be made
in a CAD program it seems.  (I've got a demo of Dimensions, which I
will soon try).  Since my output would be full of delicate linework, I
would need high resolution files and an expensive viewing device--but
on the other hand, vector output seems more appropriate if i can find
the speed to run it.
 Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

brodyhed

PS. I am using a Mac G4

Illustrator to 3d line animation

Post by John E. M » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 05:04:18

Have you tried Strata?
http://www.strata.com/products/strata3d_comparison.html
--
John E. Myers                                       * "All things come
3D Graphics/Animation                         *  round to

http://www.gactr.uga.edu/tv/media/   *     LONGFELLOW
                                                            *  I have
time.  *

The World's Largest University-Based Residential Conference Center

Illustrator to 3d line animation

Post by ELEK » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:06:45

Maya now supports vector rendering.  You can also run swift 3d ....search it
on google.

Illustrator to 3d line animation

Post by Ilya Minko » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:56:20

Blender Rules.

Getting it to render wires in different thickness is a bit tricky. You
may want to separate your countours/wires into separate (sub-)objects,
and give them material with Z-offset and wire-only, where you can
control the thinckness.

It also includes a z-cue steered toon line renderer.

The Tuhupoo Blender build includes a full-fledged Toon shader.

-i.

P.S. Everything is doable with Blender, and its "unfriendliness" pays
off when you get into working with it - no 3D app can compete with it in
working speed, aside from possibly (but not probably) Lightwave and
Maya. No comparison to the "friendly" 3ds max!

1. Human Animation Demo on - line - - Ally McBeal : Stick Figure Animation - - ( Java )

  Ally McBeal :  Stick Figure Animation

     Java interactive Demo,  Human Modeling with Matrix Math,  2d Animation

  Update ( post #2 ) :  Bug fixed affecting Netscape 4.0, fixed scaling,
features added.

  Features include :

  --  scale, rotate, translate of the character
  --  rotatation of 8 limb - parts
  --  13 custom Dial controls with numerical display
  --  Matrix Math implementation of Hierarchical Joints
  --  smoothed polygon "lines" & double buffering with image overlay
  --  Java 1.0.2 implementation ( the hard way )
  --  runs on any ( decent ) browser, safe, free, instant access.
  --  matrix value display ( limited )

  -- 3d version pending  ( "3d code inside" )
      It's really 3d in 2d now, I'm using 4x4 matrices and multipling
      a lot of numbers by one, and adding zero to a lot of others.

           http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/character_animation.html

  * * *   other features are pending   - -  this is a work in progress  - -

  Also a Piano / Oscilloscope, Buba Clock, 3d Engine & more :

   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/play_a_piano.html
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/math_is_a_game.html

   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/java3dviewer.html
   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/CuteClock.html

   http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/animHierarchy.html

"Imaging the Imagined : Modeling with Math & a Keyboard"

  http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/contents.html

2. Best video card for PS5.5 and NT4.0 and hi-res files

3. How to: (3d) line with line intersection?

4. Hierarchic camera problem

5. Shortest Line Seg tween 2 3D Line Segment Algorithm Needed

6. g200 drivers

7. Shorest Line Segment Between 2 3D Line Segments

8. bit array compression.

9. ordering lines in 3D for hidden line removal

10. Where is the line tool in illustrator 7?

11. MICA ON-LINE COURSES FOR ARTISTS, DESIGNERS, ILLUSTRATORS

12. Maryland Institute College of Art On-Line Classes for Artists, Designers, Illustrators

13. importing line drawings into illustrator