Funny questions!!

Post by Yengd » Sun, 25 May 2003 11:01:41

1. In Hollywood pictures what softwares are to be used for computer
animation and special visual effect? And what are the suitable
hardware requirement for these softwares?

2. What are the best hardware requirement for professional video
editing?

3. In Ulead video studio and Media Studio while we convert 1 minute
long video file into MPEG file, it takes more than 3 minutes time why?

Funny questions!!

Post by Motion Portio » Sun, 25 May 2003 22:45:25

> 1. In Hollywood pictures what softwares are to be used for computer
> animation and special visual effect? And what are the suitable
> hardware requirement for these softwares?

Most animation software can also handle visual effects: Houdidni, Cinema
4D, Lightwave, Electricimage, Maya, Softimage, 3D Studio Max, Shake,
After Effects

Quote:> 2. What are the best hardware requirement for professional video
> editing?

Its hard to say because we have used a Mac system to do professional
video editing with only a 200mhz processor speed, not ghz. As a rule
anyway, get the fastest & biggest of everything for your computer that
you can afford, eg. fastest motherboard & processor, biggest & fastest
hard disk, biggest RAM, one big monitor or two & the list goes on. Just
follow the spec required from your video editing software.

Quote:> 3. In Ulead video studio and Media Studio while we convert 1 minute
> long video file into MPEG file, it takes more than 3 minutes time why?

This type of conversion are done by your computer processor only. To
have realtime video conversion you'd need additional hardware to go with
your system. Again, check with your video editing software what
additional hardware is needed to have the realtime conversion.

Sincerely

Victor
www.motionportion.com

1. Funny question about ray marching volumes...

I took calculus last year, but I have a free period this year, so I have been
sitting in on my old calc class.  They are doing end-of-year projects, and I
got a funny idea for one a project on integration.

When you do volumetric rendering, as in ARman, the basic idea is to have a
density function, and call it for a series of points along the viewing vector.
in order to eliminate moise, you may need quite a few samples, perhaps several
hundred.  Basically, what you are doing is saying there are X smoke particles
at point Y, and Z particles at point A, and adding it all up in order to get
the total number of smoke particles along the vector.

What if you were to make the smoke function analytically integrateable along
the view vector?  Then, you would only need to get the depth you are
integrating across, and evaluate the analytic integral one time, instead of
making a few hundred samples.  Obviously, you can't integrate noise(), but I
was thinking of just making a funky thing out of a bunch of sine waves.  It
might not look that great, but for a little experimental project, it should
work fine.

How do you integrate it?  This is pretty easy if you define the density
function in camera space, just integrate with respect to Z, and treat X and Y
as constants along the view vector.  (They will change across the image, but
not the view vector that you are integrating along...  They are what a friend
of mine and I dubbed "constables")

Okay, I have it all working pretty good in my brain, but one thing leaves me
stumped.. How in the hell do I do self shadowing?  I am willing to leave it
out, but it would be mighty nice to be able to do.  Actually, lighting is a bit
hard, too, since a shadow falling on the volume would be hard (actually, that
is impossible, isn't it?!...) to account for using the analytic integral...  I
am comfortable dealing with luminous, non-reflective volumes, as this is just a
little school project for a class I am not actually in.

Anybody have any ideas for how to use shadow maps for the shadowing?...  Or,
does anybody know of any other work on volumes that are done more analytically
than just brute-force?  Any other suggestions for implimentation?

Thanks to everybody who read this far.  I tend to ramble.  I apologise for it.
A special thanks to anybody who has suggestions!
---------------------------
Yesterday, I didn't even know what temoral compression was.
Tomarrow, I will have been using it for a week.

2. Vue d'Esprit rendering contest

3. --=Funny Faces!=--

4. Creating a rug - rug.jpg [01/01]

5. funny pixels in raytracer

6. What is .bmp format?

7. Funny numbers in internal editor

8. Wanted: electrostatic raytracer

9. hmmm... a funny picture

10. TURTLE3D: another funny small program

11. I find it funny...

12. Sticks Of DooM = funny ass animations!!!!