new mac?

Post by Alan » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:23:43

looks impressive.. do they have pro 3d workstation video cards available?
thx

new mac?

Post by Philip Rona » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:59:33

Quote:> looks impressive.. do they have pro 3d workstation video cards available?
> thx

Apparently the standard options are NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra or ATI
Radeon 9600 Pro.

Drool over this: http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

Phil
--
Philip Ronan

new mac?

Post by Tesselato » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:48:29

> > looks impressive.. do they have pro 3d workstation video cards available?
> > thx

> Apparently the standard options are NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra or ATI
> Radeon 9600 Pro.

> Drool over this: http://www.apple.com/powermac/graphics.html

No, not really.  I like Mac but....

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

new mac?

Post by Philip Rona » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:09:07

Quote:> No, not really.  I like Mac but....

> http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

Oh dear. That's a bit of a disappointment.

Couldn't have afforded one anyway :(

--
Philip Ronan

new mac?

Post by Philip Rona » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:20:42

>> No, not really.  I like Mac but....

>> http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

> Oh dear. That's a bit of a disappointment.

> Couldn't have afforded one anyway :(

But hang on a sec...

It struck me as a bit fishy that someone managed to dissect the Veritest
report with a fine toothcomb just a few hours after it was published, so I
decided to look into it myself.

The article makes a big point of the fact that it was unfair to optimize the
benchmark code for G5's, and then goes on to say that it was also unfair to
optimize the benchmark code for the other processors. I'm really not
kidding! It must be true, because some guys that emailed the author said so.
Apparently :/

Oh, and he also complains that the tests weren't independent because they
were commissioned by Apple. Duh?! Were Veritest supposed to run these tests
of their own accord without being asked by anyone else?

Anyway, surely the floating point performance is much more important for 3D
animation? That article is mostly ranting about the integer benchmarks; 3D
graphics depends very heavily on floating-point matrices and vectors.

I guess we'll all have to wait and see how fast these things _really_ are.

Still can't afford one though :(

--
Philip Ronan

new mac?

Post by Alan » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:40:29

but they do'nt have very good 3d workstation cards, whasts the point?

> >> No, not really.  I like Mac but....

> >> http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

> > Oh dear. That's a bit of a disappointment.

> > Couldn't have afforded one anyway :(

> But hang on a sec...

> It struck me as a bit fishy that someone managed to dissect the Veritest
> report with a fine toothcomb just a few hours after it was published, so I
> decided to look into it myself.

> The article makes a big point of the fact that it was unfair to optimize
the
> benchmark code for G5's, and then goes on to say that it was also unfair
> optimize the benchmark code for the other processors. I'm really not
> kidding! It must be true, because some guys that emailed the author said
so.
> Apparently :/

> Oh, and he also complains that the tests weren't independent because they
> were commissioned by Apple. Duh?! Were Veritest supposed to run these
tests
> of their own accord without being asked by anyone else?

> Anyway, surely the floating point performance is much more important for
3D
> animation? That article is mostly ranting about the integer benchmarks; 3D
> graphics depends very heavily on floating-point matrices and vectors.

> I guess we'll all have to wait and see how fast these things _really_ are.

> Still can't afford one though :(

> --
> Philip Ronan

> (Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)

new mac?

Post by Philip Rona » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:40:07

Quote:> but they do'nt have very good 3d workstation cards, whasts the point?

Well I guess the point is that people seem to be making a concerted effort
to shoot the G5 down based on rather specious arguments.

I'm not an expert on 3d cards, but (correct me if I'm wrong) high-end
rendering is all done in software anyway, so a processor that can do
floating point calculations faster will be able to render scenes faster. 3d
cards are for previewing scenes and playing games.

--
Philip Ronan

new mac?

Post by Alan » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:02:18

yes, isn't previewing an important part of the creation process..

> > but they do'nt have very good 3d workstation cards, whasts the point?

> Well I guess the point is that people seem to be making a concerted effort
> to shoot the G5 down based on rather specious arguments.

> I'm not an expert on 3d cards, but (correct me if I'm wrong) high-end
> rendering is all done in software anyway, so a processor that can do
> floating point calculations faster will be able to render scenes faster.
3d
> cards are for previewing scenes and playing games.

> --
> Philip Ronan

> (Please remove the "z"s if replying by email)

new mac?

Post by Philip Rona » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:22:53

Quote:> yes, isn't previewing an important part of the creation process..

But it's unrelated to the rendering speed.

Anway, why don't you take a look at this review of the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
and then explain to everyone why it isn't very good.

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/ATi/R9800Pro/

--
Philip Ronan

new mac?

Post by Alan » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:55:10

its not a workstation class card.. ok?
alan

Post by Tesselato » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:01:35

> > > Oh dear. That's a bit of a disappointment.

> > > Couldn't have afforded one anyway :(

> > But hang on a sec...

> > It struck me as a bit fishy that someone managed to dissect the Veritest
> > report with a fine toothcomb just a few hours after it was published, so I
> > decided to look into it myself.

But like I said..  I like Mac.

Let's ask a more common sense question tho instead of picking apart slightly
skewed benchmarks:

How much difference did the skewing actually make in the test results?
Yeah, some I think...  No Hyperthreading is like a 10%  speed reduction
or so...   So what..?  It's not "THE FASTEST" as claimed?  Who cares?
That claim wouldn't have lasted long anyway...  They themselves or
Intel or AMD would likely break the record soon enough.  The point
to me is two fold:  that they have a damn fast machine that is comming
down in price (one of the fastest)...  _and_ Apple is like every other
American corperation:  Profits come first -- even before honesty and
other moralistic principles.

That said I think Apple has a ways to go to beat the price proformance
ratio of a PC.   Case in point:

Yesterday (June 26, 2003) I went computer shopping here in Japan where
I saw a box from eMachines...  Check this out:

    - Ti4200 64meg dual head NVidia
    - P4 2.40C gig (w/ hyper threading)
    - 800 Mhz FSB
    - Intel 855g Extreme 2 3D onboard
    - AC 97 Audio
    - 512mb ram (2gig max)  [PC2700 DDR-SDRAM]
    - PCI x3 two-64bit one-32bit
    - AGP 8x
    - 80gig IBM HD (dual chan ATA133 IDE)
    - CD-RW - Drive
    - DVD-Rom - Drive
    - USB 2.0 x6
    - 100BaseTX
    - Fax-Modem 56k
    - Speakers,
    - a cool looking I-Net keyboard & mouse
    - Speakers
    - Windows XP Pro + Roxio, Norton, PowerDVD, etc.
    - 1 year (same day) parts and labor

and you'll never guess how much...

        $425.00 before tax

I've scanned a picture of the front of the brochure in case you're
wondering if this is real.  FTP://61.213.194.19/2003-06-26_23-59-01.jpg

The machines were in stock and linned up on display too ready to
go so that part was cosher too.

new mac?