vrml ?

Post by mthlv1 » Mon, 12 May 2003 07:35:45

Is VRML the best format to make animation for a web browser ?
There are many freeware packages at sourceforge.net but they
all put out the animation in different formats, how to decide
what output format is best ?

vrml ?

Post by John E. M » Sat, 17 May 2003 03:18:35

Flash is pretty much standard.  Strata makes great Flash animations!
http://www.strata.com/
--
John E. Myers                                       * "All things come
3D Graphics/Animation                         *  round to

http://www.gactr.uga.edu/tv/media/   *     LONGFELLOW
                                                            *  I have
time.  *

The World's Largest University-Based Residential Conference Center

vrml ?

Post by Robert Lipma » Sat, 17 May 2003 03:56:23

> Is VRML the best format to make animation for a web browser ?
> There are many freeware packages at sourceforge.net but they
> all put out the animation in different formats, how to decide
> what output format is best ?

It depends on what you're animating.  If you've got truely 3D data that
you want the user to navigate through then maybe.  If it's just 2D
animation, no.

At http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/vbdetect.html there are links to lots of
VRML resources.

--
Bob Lipman
http://cic.nist.gov/lipman/

1. VRML->STL and STL->VRML: STLpack(1.2) software

This is an announcement to the STL format users' community of a program,
STLpack(TM) Version 1.2, available as shareware.

Just like it's predecessor STLpack (1.0), STLpack (1.2) is a Windows 95
and NT utility for transferring files of STL (3D Graphics) format into
a new compressed PSL (Packed STL) format for storage. It can also span
disks if the user's packed file is too big to fit on one diskette. But,
it can not only save an STL file in a VRML (WRL) format, but moreover,
it extracts 3D solid object information from a VRML file and lets the
user save it as an STL file.

Based on initial tests, STLpack compresses most STL files to
approximately a sixth or seventh of it's STL format size. This is about
two to four times better than the more general, widely available file
compression utilities. Moreover, because STLpack seamlessly spans disks,
one can use it as an all inclusive easy to use utility for STL file
storage and transfer.

Because STLpack is able to create a VRML file from an STL file, the user
can view these files with any one of many VRML viewers, many of which
are free. Such as the plug-ins available for the latest versions of
Netscape and the Internet Explorer.

Moreover, the user can take a VRML file with any solid object and
extract that object into an STL file. Though, the user should be aware
that if the VRML file contains an imperfect solid object, the resulting
object in the STL format will not be perfect.

To get STLpack (1.2), go to
http://www.winsite.com/info/pc/win95/misc/stlpackd.exe or download
stlpackd.exe via anonymous ftp from ftp.winsite.com/pub/pc/win95/misc.

Of course, the registered user's do not need to do anything and will
receive the new version free of charge.

Slava

2. Import Draw 8 into Word 97

3. Using VRML to Visualize Scientific Data (from the VRML Gallery)

4. Canvas to Tiff query

5. VRML->STL and STL->VRML: STLpack(1.2) software

6. size of output

7. "VRML Adventure": one of the many worlds at the VRML Gallery

8. VRML: Howto link VRML to Delphi

9. WANTED: VRML to POV, VRML to ANYTHING conversion software.

10. Which is the best vrml browser currently, for viewing MAX vrml export?

11. NEED ADVICE: vrml, 3d, animation

12. VRML conversion