I've never used two monitors - Suggestions?

I've never used two monitors - Suggestions?

Post by Mitch Powe » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:35:37

I'll have a 17" Viewsonic and a 22" Mitsubishi on my desk. How can I best
configure them for computer graphics work? That is, what things should I do, or
what attitudes should I have, what additional hardware/software might I need,
to get the most productivity out of two screens?
Mitch

...a beam of light will fill your head, and you'll remember what's been said by
all the good men this world's ever known...

I've never used two monitors - Suggestions?

Post by Mozema » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:25:09

It depends on what system you have and what you want to do with it.

I have 2 19" monitors and a Matrox G400 Max card with dual-display under
Win2K.  I do graphics work on this machine.  In an application like
Photoshop, I set up my canvas on one monitor and all of my floating palletes
in the other.  With a monitor dedicated to just my tools, I can expand them
as much as I need to, which comes in very handy for the Layer and Navigator
palletes.

I can also run an app in one window and watch DVD's in the other.  Very
convenient.  The problem with the Matrox G400 is that it's not a very robust
card.  But for affordable dual-monitor support, you can't beat it.

Moze

> I'll have a 17" Viewsonic and a 22" Mitsubishi on my desk. How can I best
> configure them for computer graphics work? That is, what things should I
do, or
> what attitudes should I have, what additional hardware/software might I
need,
> to get the most productivity out of two screens?
> Mitch

> ...a beam of light will fill your head, and you'll remember what's been
said by
> all the good men this world's ever known...

I've never used two monitors - Suggestions?

Post by Videolin » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 23:34:31

get the new Matrox 450
Its better and cheaper
get a dual head and you can output to video and YC or 2 mintors
no extra software needed
we us ethem here for video editinbg and web site building
Its great having the extra real estate

G-MT-G45+MDHA16DB G450 Bulk Dualhead 16MB               $160
G-MT-G45+MDHA16DLEB G450 Bulk Dualhead 16MB SDR         $124
G-MT-G45+MDHA32DB G450 Bulk Dualhead 32MB DDR           $210
G-MT-G45+MDHA32DR G450 Retail, Dualhead 32MB DDR        $246
G-MT-G45-TV-DVD/B Software DVD & TV Out Cable           $15
These prices are Canadian
for US divide by 1.5
www.videolink.ca
416-690-1690
GOLD MATROX DEALER

> I'll have a 17" Viewsonic and a 22" Mitsubishi on my desk. How can I best
> configure them for computer graphics work? That is, what things should I do, or
> what attitudes should I have, what additional hardware/software might I need,
> to get the most productivity out of two screens?
> Mitch

> ...a beam of light will fill your head, and you'll remember what's been said by
> all the good men this world's ever known...

1. suggestion: '..using..' in 3.6

In gnuplot pre-3.6 (patchlevel 194, sigh) I specified a 'using 0:(1./$7)'
in a 'plot' command. Unfortunately, the first few rows of column 7 in the
file were zero, rendering the expression undefined. Gnuplot discards this
"value" in the plot, BUT it does not increase the row count. Thus, if I
overlay a second file with any entry being non-zero, the x-axis seems to be
displaced between the two plots.

I consider this behavior more than just confusing. If this behavior is
intended, please let gnuplot 3.6 issue a warning or something to tell the
user what happened!

Any action appreciated,

Andre

2. FPS Calculation

3. PSP Tip: Remembering Fonts You've Used

4. Basic presentation graphics?

5. Using two monitors with GeForce6600 (PCI-E) 256MB

6. Round Bitmap

7. problem using two monitors

8. Using two cards to run one monitor on a dual boot PC

9. Two monitors..I'm convinced

10. I'm using a two pass rendering

11. I've fallen and I can't restart

12. That's it, I've had enough