The Industry - Where do I start????

Post by Starting-Out Design » Wed, 28 May 2003 03:38:04

I am totally clueless about where to begin my career. I but feel like
its impossible to get my foot in the door especially since i only have
informal experience. How do i get my foot in the door, and when i get
through the door - How do i protect my creations

The Industry - Where do I start????

Post by John E. M » Wed, 28 May 2003 22:29:57

Quote:

> I am totally clueless about where to begin my career. I but feel like
> its impossible to get my foot in the door especially since i only have
> informal experience. How do i get my foot in the door, and when i get
> through the door - How do i protect my creations

Get into a good school so you can use their facilities.  They usually
have connections to the industry when you are ready to make the leap.
In the mean time the school will help you develop your skills and a demo reel.

Otherwise, find an organization that you want to be a part of and make
friends with them.  This can work out great.
--
John E. Myers                                       * "All things come
3D Graphics/Animation                         *  round to

http://www.gactr.uga.edu/tv/media/   *     LONGFELLOW
                                                            *  I have
time.  *

The World's Largest University-Based Residential Conference Center

The Industry - Where do I start????

Post by rick » Thu, 29 May 2003 01:07:55

If you have formal college training in art or CS you network through
your profs or recruiting.

Many large cities have computer graphics clubs or professional societies.
Some are branches of SIGGRAPH, others are more gamer oriented.  You attend
these and interact.

The biggest graphics convention is SIGGRAPH in San Diego two months from now
and an excellent place to see what the industry is up to.  SIGGRAPH can be
done fairly cheaply if you know your way around, but the airplanes and hotels
are filling quickly.  Look at www.siggraph.org.

I tried googling the World Animation Conference, which in some years tags on
to SIGGRAPH, but couldnt find this year's arrangements.  Anyone have a URL?

Post by Starting-Out Design » Thu, 29 May 2003 08:55:13

> If you have formal college training in art or CS you network through
> your profs or recruiting.

> Many large cities have computer graphics clubs or professional societies.
> Some are branches of SIGGRAPH, others are more gamer oriented.  You attend
> these and interact.

> The biggest graphics convention is SIGGRAPH in San Diego two months from now
> and an excellent place to see what the industry is up to.  SIGGRAPH can be
> done fairly cheaply if you know your way around, but the airplanes and hotels
> are filling quickly.  Look at www.siggraph.org.

> I tried googling the World Animation Conference, which in some years tags on
> to SIGGRAPH, but couldnt find this year's arrangements.  Anyone have a URL?

http://www.graphicshardware.org/
I found it...and thank you so much for such a wonderful lead!

The Industry - Where do I start????

Post by Harriet Cohe » Thu, 29 May 2003 12:11:10

Quote:> I am totally clueless about where to begin my career. I but feel like
> its impossible to get my foot in the door especially since i only have
> informal experience. How do i get my foot in the door, and when i get
> through the door - How do i protect my creations

----------------
the question would be to isolate what you have to offer and offer it.  It's
important to have a direction, pretty much know what you want to do.  There
are always agencies that have entry level positions or knock on doors.  All
publishers maintain a graphics department.  Put together a nice rez and
cover letter and do a mass mailing.  If you went to school for this, they
usually have a placement service.   If you want to start a biz then you have
to start a full marketing program.  Regarding protecting your work, you
should do some research on copywriting.  I'm not sure how much you can
really do on that.  If  you have more specific questions, let me know
harriet
http://paperandimages.home.att.net

1. Getting started in gaming industry

Been doing lightwave for quite awhile now, and my favorite thing to model is
hardware, and sci-fi architecture and machines (see
http://www.dnaco.net/~ivanjs/LWPIX/lwpix.html)

Anyone have any hints on how to get started in the gaming industry? Know any
sites with Gaming 3D jobs (using lightwave?) Have some experience in
SoftImage and played with 3D Studio Max just a little at a local university
once, but Lightwave is definitely my program of choice.

Thanks.
John

2. Anchors in Character studio

3. wanting to start doing animation

4. Graphics in Adobe Pagemaker Version 6.0

5. It's done, done, done!

6. Laying out N points on a sphere

7. game industry to movie industry

8. Graphic & Sun

9. I'm about to start gettin started

10. Pagemaker not starting in my start up folder

11. Starting Perl-Server without starting Gimp

12. Directx8 Compiled Programm runs if started in windows but not stabel if started in the ide

13. 3DSite: get Jobs by Mail, learn who's doing what in the industry!