openGL, linux, java, the works

Post by Robert Crowe » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:18:17

Hello,

I am trying to run some source files created in java on a linux
machine. The java code utilizes the gl4java libraries, and was written
on a Win32 machine (this shouldn't effect things, right?) Anyways, I
am trying to get everything necessary installed and running.

However, I am at MIT, and I do not have root access to the
configuration files (obviously!) so it's very difficult for me to
install or configure things. I don't know what MIT has installed or
not. I can run java and javac for sure, but beyond that, I have no
knowledge on how to approach this problem.

I guess someone who is familiar with MIT's computer system would be
ideal here... but it's probably not a requirement. I just need some
ideas, I guess... where do i go from here?

The install.sh file i got from the gl4java website did not run
correctly, i had errors when i tried to install Mesa (i dont even know
what mesa is, but i saw it mentioned somehwere), as far as i know,
openGL drivers are not installed (how would i install them)? I really
am clueless here. Someone wrote some 3D code of a block moving around,
and I am really anxious to take a look at it.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

openGL, linux, java, the works

Post by Richard Ivars » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 15:33:13

> Hello,

> I am trying to run some source files created in java on a linux
> machine. The java code utilizes the gl4java libraries, and was written
> on a Win32 machine (this shouldn't effect things, right?)

That's right. :-)

Quote:> Anyways, I am trying to get everything necessary installed and running.

> However, I am at MIT, and I do not have root access to the
> configuration files (obviously!) so it's very difficult for me to
> install or configure things.

Well, you don't need to install Gl4java but just copy the few files to
the Java Runtime (JRE) directory. I don't have a Unix box set up with
Gl4java yet but the approach on a Win32 machine should be comparable
and there it works straight forward.

In case you need root privileges in order to copy files to the JRE
directory you've to do it the other way: copy the JRE directory to
your $HOME (it's not that big: on Win32 zipped about 14 MB, unzipped
about 37 MB), change it there and make sure you start the java binary
from within your HOME path.

According to http://jausoft.com/Files/Java/1.1.X/GL4Java/binpkg/
for a Win32 machine the following files need to be used:

+---JRE

    +---bin
    |       GL4JavaGljMSJDirect.dll
    |       GL4JavaJauGljJNI.dll
    |       GL4JavaJauGljJNI12.dll
    |       GL4JavaJauGljJNI13.dll
    |       GL4JavaJauGljJNI14.dll

    \---lib
        \---ext
                gl4java.jar
                [png.jar               -- optional?]
                [gl4java-glffonts.jar  -- optional?]
                [gl4java-glutfonts.jar -- optional?]

The JAR files are Java VM bytecode so can be used on any platform. In
case you don't need GLUT fonts you can ignore the three JARs files
marked optional I think. You find it/them on the above mentioned
webpage as "gl4java2.8.2.0-jar.zip" and so on.
The five DLLs are the platform dependant part and you take the
"libGL4Java2.8.2.0-Linux-glibc2-xf86-x86.zip" for a x86 Linux and so
on, from the above webpage. It contains your needed four library files
(called ".so" on Linux).

Then you should be ready.

-ric