Update OpenGL and Isometric Viewing with OpenGL

Update OpenGL and Isometric Viewing with OpenGL

Post by Ne[DR] » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi to all,

Where could I find the version 1.2 of the OpenGL for Win98?

I'm Creating a RPG, with my team, and we are trying to build a map
with isometric visual formed of small wedges (rotated of 45 degrees on
the axle X and Z), but once rotated these isn't more placed side by
side and adjoining.
How could I resolve this problem?

Please, Help me!!

Bye

Post by fungu » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi to all,

> Where could I find the version 1.2 of the OpenGL for Win98?

> I'm Creating a RPG, with my team, and we are trying to build a map
> with isometric visual formed of small wedges (rotated of 45 degrees on
> the axle X and Z), but once rotated these isn't more placed side by
> side and adjoining.

Why do you need OpenGL 1.2 for this...?

Quote:> How could I resolve this problem?

Isometric games are usually programmed using 2D graphics not 3D.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Post by Andrew F. Vespe » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Where could I find the version 1.2 of the OpenGL for Win98?

I haven't heard of any available, but you need to ask what functionality
you need from 1.2, and ask your vendor(s) if they support that as
extensions to 1.1.

Quote:> I'm Creating a RPG, with my team, and we are trying to build a map
> with isometric visual formed of small wedges (rotated of 45 degrees on
> the axle X and Z), but once rotated these isn't more placed side by
> side and adjoining.
> How could I resolve this problem?

This is likely to be your problem rather than the OpenGL implementation.
If you give the *same* vertex values with the *same* transformations, these
should map to the same window coordinates. If the vertex values are
almost equal, they could easily map to different window coordinates.

--
Andy V (OpenGL Alpha Geek)
"In order to make progress, one must leave the door to the unknown ajar."

Paul Martz's OpenGL FAQ: http://www.opengl.org/About/FAQ/Technical.html

Update OpenGL and Isometric Viewing with OpenGL

Post by ZZ » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

hey mate don't frighten him off :)
what u should do i think instaed of rotating each wedge? just draw them
normally + move the camera up in the air pointing downwards on a 45deg
angle,

prolly wrong but maybe like so
gluLookAT(100,100,100, 0,0,0, 0,1,0);

and  use an orthographic projection insteed of a perspective one so things
don't get smaller the further away they are.
glOrtho(......

zed

Post by fungu » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > I'm Creating a RPG, with my team, and we are trying to build a map
> > with isometric visual formed of small wedges (rotated of 45 degrees on
> > the axle X and Z), but once rotated these isn't more placed side by
> > side and adjoining.
> > How could I resolve this problem?

> This is likely to be your problem rather than the OpenGL implementation.
> If you give the *same* vertex values with the *same* transformations, these
> should map to the same window coordinates. If the vertex values are
> almost equal, they could easily map to different window coordinates.

What transformation matrix are you using?

glOrtho( what????? )

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Update OpenGL and Isometric Viewing with OpenGL

Post by Ne[DR] » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Why do you need OpenGL 1.2 for this...?

   Because I want this version...

Quote:>Isometric games are usually programmed using 2D graphics not 3D.

 This is true, but I want to build my games in isometric visual with
3D.

Bye Nedros

Update OpenGL and Isometric Viewing with OpenGL

Post by Ofer Huberma » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I agree that the error is not caused because of the implementation. It
sounds like that transformation is applied per-polygon. If you want to use
different points of view easily, like a camera (isometric or perspective),
consider using gluLookAt ().

    Ofer.

Quote:> Hi to all,

> Where could I find the version 1.2 of the OpenGL for Win98?

> I'm Creating a RPG, with my team, and we are trying to build a map
> with isometric visual formed of small wedges (rotated of 45 degrees on
> the axle X and Z), but once rotated these isn't more placed side by
> side and adjoining.
> How could I resolve this problem?

> Please, Help me!!

> Bye

1. Modula-3 OpenGL bindings updated to OpenGL 1.1

I've updated to the Modula-3 OpenGL interfaces to correspond to OpenGL 1.1.
If you are interested in them (either for Unix or Windows NT), go to
        <http://www.cs.columbia.edu/graphics/modula3/opengl>

These m3makefiles are written for the Critical Mass Modula-3 compiler
cm3, so will need to be changed slightly if you are using the SRC,
Cambridge or any other compilers.

2. Want to learn 3d max in Chicago

3. DirectX, OpenGL, Isometric Game

4. SuperPaint

5. Help: Isometric/Axonometric, 3/4 View

6. Frame grabing

7. Isometric view?

8. MJPEG->MPEG

9. isometric camera view

10. isometric views

11. Isometric View

12. Non-Perspective (isometric-Diablo) View

13. Can you set the camera to Isometric View?