Anyone knows about video cards supporting opengl overlays in hardware

Anyone knows about video cards supporting opengl overlays in hardware

Post by TR » Thu, 09 May 2002 23:54:04

Hi,

We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

Looking forward from the intelligent people out there :)

Post by César Blecua Udía » Fri, 10 May 2002 00:27:34

> Hi,

> We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
> problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
> on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
> NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either.

IIRC, there's some kind of overlay "emulation" (ie: not the "true
thing") for NVIDIA cards, although in this moment I don't find the
details on how to use it.

Quote:> Does
> any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
> hardware overlays?

It depends on your definition for "hardware": I guess you meant
hardware==Beige_Boxes. In this case, there's a (commercial) OpenGL
implementation for Linux that supports hardware overlays for some
graphics boards, here:

http://www.xig.com/

Quote:> Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
> had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
> lacking far behind.

The same stands true for hardware accelerated ARB_imaging, and other
features such as 12bit per component color or superb video I/O with
OpenGL.

Hmmm... I feel a bit puzzled now... I thought people moving from SGI to
PC were reaaaally in love with their new beige boxes ;)

Like somebody in some website said, "Quality, price, performance. You
can have only two."

Csar

Post by Jens Thiel » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:22:50

> Hi,

> We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
> problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
> on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
> NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
> any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
> hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
> had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
> lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

> Looking forward from the intelligent people out there :)

I did not look into the details but I used SDL which seems to use the
XVideo extension (Linux XFree >=4.0) and with my NVIDIA it is really fast
(fast enough for me at least)

hope this helps

Post by Jens Olav Nygaar » Wed, 15 May 2002 04:43:45

> > We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
> > problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
> > on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
> > NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
> > any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
> > hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
> > had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
> > lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

I don't know much about overlays, but have you considered using
multitexturing instead? With as much memory as the GF4 usually has,
and its number of texture units (I guess >=4, since GF3 has that)
it should be pretty fast...

J.O.

--
Jens Olav Nygaard, Research Scientist
SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Geometric Modelling

Post by E. Mark Pi » Wed, 15 May 2002 05:03:05

>> Hi,

>> We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
>> problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
>> on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
>> NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
>> any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
>> hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
>> had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
>> lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

We use 3DLabs VX1 cards and they can do overlays.
--
Mark Ping

Post by fungu » Wed, 15 May 2002 11:12:32

>hardware overlays...

 >Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back

Quote:>had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
>lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

Only 5?

I remember SGI machines with overlays in the 1980s...

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Anyone knows about video cards supporting opengl overlays in hardware

Post by John Nagl » Thu, 16 May 2002 14:51:25

     Typically, overlays were used when the main scene couldn't be
drawn in a frame time.  This is much less of a problem than it
used to be, because the hardware is faster.
Are your scenes complicated enough there's a redraw bottleneck?
If not, just redraw the main scene, then the overlay.

                                        John Nagle
                                        Animats

Post by mgi.. » Fri, 17 May 2002 03:18:56

> >> Hi,

> >> We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
> >> problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
> >> on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
> >> NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
> >> any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
> >> hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
> >> had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
> >> lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

> We use 3DLabs VX1 cards and they can do overlays.
> --
> Mark Ping

Accelerated-X provides true overlay support for all of the 3Dlabs
Oxygen series cards and the 3Dlabs Wildcats on Linux and Solaris
(Intel).  It's a commercial product, you might consider it if you plan
to port SGI applications. Check http://www.xig.com.

--
Mike Ginis

http://www.xig.com

Anyone knows about video cards supporting opengl overlays in hardware

Post by JB Wes » Thu, 30 May 2002 10:58:31

They sure do in the latest driver release.

Option "Overlay" "on"

does the trick.

they are 16 bit overlays; not Pseudocolor.

--

Quote:> Hi,

> We are porting an application from SGI workstation to Linux. The
> problem is that it used opengl overlays a lot, which was not a problem
> on SGI systems, but on Linux we really are stuck. Currently, we have
> NVidia GF4 card, and it doesn't seem to support overlays either. Does
> any one know about any hardware in the market which supports opengl
> hardware overlays? Its really a shame that SGI systems of 5 years back
> had support for this feature, but intel based systems are still
> lacking far behind. Any ideas would be higly appreciated.

> Looking forward from the intelligent people out there :)

Anyone knows about video cards supporting opengl overlays in hardware

Post by JB Wes » Thu, 30 May 2002 11:00:39

(followup to myself)

I meant. the *quadro4* cards do.

If you are going to port a professional app, use a professional card.

$997 on the net : you can't get anything from SGI remotely close to that
price.

--

Quote:> Hi,