Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by Edgar Gardu?o ángele » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 00:33:49

Hi,

In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide to
select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

--
Cheers,
____________________________________

WWW: www.seas.upenn.edu/~edgargar  |
___________________________________|

Post by Paul Gunso » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:53:01

> In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide to
> select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
> interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
> these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
> website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
> anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

----forward from CG channel---------

This week, CG Channel takes a look at the NVIDIA Quadro4 line of
workstation graphics cards. We also address the concern surrounding the
difference
between the GeForce4 and the Quadro4.

http://www.cgchannel.com/feature.php?article_id=37

Post by fungu » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:16:52

>>In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide to
>>select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
>>interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
>>these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
>>website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
>>anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

> ----forward from CG channel---------

> This week, CG Channel takes a look at the NVIDIA Quadro4 line of
> workstation graphics cards. We also address the concern surrounding the
> difference
> between the GeForce4 and the Quadro4.

> http://www.cgchannel.com/feature.php?article_id=37

Yes but you only get a speed difference when running
3d Studio or anything else which uses wireframe heavily.
This follows NVIDIA's tradition of crippling their
"consumer" cards for 3DS usage, thus getting the
professional users to spend more money.

For normal texture mapped polygons a normal GeForce will
give the exact same results as a Quadro.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by Dominik Pau » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:43:08

Hi Edgar,

I also use hardware texture mapping (very extremly with 3D textures with a
lot of MBs). I dont have a Gforce 4 or Quadro 4, but we run our software on
a GForce 3 and a Quadro 2 Pro. The Quadro 2 was 2 to 3 times more expensive
than the GF3, but it is also faster. Not very much, but a little bit.

With the right driver, i think the quadro 4 will be better/faster.

Sorry I cant give you a better answer.

Dom

Hi,

In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide to
select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

--
Cheers,
____________________________________
Edgar Gardu?o ngeles    |
Ph.D Candidate     |
Department of Bioengineering    |
University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) |

WWW: www.seas.upenn.edu/~edgargar  |
___________________________________|

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by Sébastien GRIMAR » Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:09:07

The difference between those cards is mostly in term of gpu frequency and
memory frequency (depending on the two cards you compare).

The chips are identical, the drivers do however differ.

It is even possible to turn a Geforce 4 card into a Quadro 4 card (see here
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1013385350) please keep in mind
however that this is a dangerous modification and that it voids your
guaranty.

Post by fungu » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:01:38

> The difference between those cards is mostly in term of gpu frequency and
> memory frequency (depending on the two cards you compare).

Most GeForce cards can be overclocked with no problems.
My humble GeForce3 Ti200 has been running with the
clock speeds at maximum since the day I installed
it. It doesn't even get hot.

I think the real problem is that the original poster
didn't really say what he was trying to do apart from
"texture mapping".

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by Edgar Gardu?o ángele » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:05:09

Hello again,

Well, for those that wonder what is the purpose of the graphic card I have
to say is to take advantage of the texture mapping (forward projection) in
reconstruction from projections algorithms (those algorithms used in CT's,
Ultrasound TEM's,etc). We would like to test some algorithms that are
pretty efficient using this hardware option. That is the reason we are
interested only in hardware texture mapping specifications.

I would likt to thank you for your hints and advice.

--
Cheers,
____________________________________

Post by fungu » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:50:54

> Hello again,

> Well, for those that wonder what is the purpose of the graphic card I have
> to say is to take advantage of the texture mapping (forward projection) in
> reconstruction from projections algorithms (those algorithms used in CT's,
> Ultrasound TEM's,etc). We would like to test some algorithms that are
> pretty efficient using this hardware option. That is the reason we are
> interested only in hardware texture mapping specifications.

> I would likt to thank you for your hints and advice.

I think the most important consideration for this
kind of work will be the amount of texture memory,
ie. the amount of RAM on the card. I'm pretty sure
the Quadro and GeForce4 will be equal in this respect.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by JB Wes » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:42:34

As long as you don't use 2-sided lighting, clipping planes, stereo, advanced
AA, or other
workstation features. Gee whiz, a Quadro4 900 is only $997 at CDW.COM,
have you looked at a price of a Wildcat or FireGL4 ?

--

> >>In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide
> >>select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
> >>interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
> >>these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
> >>website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
> >>anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

> > ----forward from CG channel---------

> > This week, CG Channel takes a look at the NVIDIA Quadro4 line of
> > workstation graphics cards. We also address the concern surrounding the
> > difference
> > between the GeForce4 and the Quadro4.

> > http://www.cgchannel.com/feature.php?article_id=37

> Yes but you only get a speed difference when running
> 3d Studio or anything else which uses wireframe heavily.
> This follows NVIDIA's tradition of crippling their
> "consumer" cards for 3DS usage, thus getting the
> professional users to spend more money.

> For normal texture mapped polygons a normal GeForce will
> give the exact same results as a Quadro.

> --
> <\___/>
> / O O \
> \_____/  FTB.

Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Post by Dr. Gonz » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 06:00:39

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020418/vgacharts-01.html

dunno does this helps?

Quote:> The difference between those cards is mostly in term of gpu frequency and
> memory frequency (depending on the two cards you compare).

> The chips are identical, the drivers do however differ.

> It is even possible to turn a Geforce 4 card into a Quadro 4 card (see
here
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1013385350) please keep in mind
> however that this is a dangerous modification and that it voids your
> guaranty.

1. Nvidia Quadro4 XGL vs Geforce4 Ti for 3D hardware texture mapping

Hi,

In these days in the laboratory in which I work we are trying to decide to
select between these cards (Nvidia Quadro4 XGL and Geforce4 Ti). We are
interested in taking advantage of the hardware texture mapping in any of
these cards under Linux (RedHat). However, we have visited the Nvidia
website and the information is rather limited. In a nutshell, could
anybody give the pros and cons of these cards?, any other suggestions?

--
Cheers,
____________________________________
Edgar Gardu?o ngeles            |
Ph.D Candidate                     |
Department of Bioengineering       |
University of Pennsylvania (UPENN) |

WWW: www.seas.upenn.edu/~edgargar  |

2. any help please

3. WANT TO BUY SGI: O2, Octane, Origin, Onyx!!

4. very slow drawing

5. Nvidia Quadro4 750 XGL error with big Textures

6. GeForce4 Ti 4600 or Quadro4 700?

7. Nvidia Quadro4 700 XGL?

8. Nvidia Quadro4 900 XGL w/ LW driver

9. ATI FireGL4 vs. NVIDIA Quadro4 900XGL

10. GeForce4 v. Quadro4