speed difference of opengl program

Post by B.G. Khan » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:28:18

Hi,
I am a vision scientist working on human perception where I have to write c
codes to simulate rotating 3-D shapes like polyhedra or ellipsoids. I am
using opengl because I have to port the code to Mac. But the speed of
implementation of my codes is quite different between the two computers (PC
and Mac). My computer (Satellite 304 with Windows XP home, 1G processor) has
a graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce Go2). But the question is why this is about
10 times
slower than G3 Mac (about 400 mega processor). Can you tell me why and any
solution?

Thanks,

Post by fungu » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:55:17

> Can you tell me why and any solution?

The work is being done by the graphics card, not the CPU,
so CPU speed makes no difference.

There's no real solution for slow hardware except to write
a more efficient program...

--
<\___/>          For email, remove my socks.
/ O O \

speed difference of opengl program

Post by Gernot Frisc » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:58:02

Quote:> --
> <\___/>          For email, remove my socks.
> / O O \
> \_____/  FTB.    Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?

...and dog biscuit doesn't taste like dog at all...

1. Amazing difference between speed of GL and OpenGL

Well, I was brought to the attention of a demonstration of the
speed difference between GL and OpenGL.  Specifically, I
eyeballed OpenGL to be anywhere from 5-10 times slower than GL.
(I don't know which calls were used.)

Is this generally true?  If so, why is the performance
difference so significant?  Something like 10-20% might be
acceptable, but not 100% or more.

I'm about to start using OpenInventor to display 3D geometries, but
if I can get a significant speed boost by using GL based Inventor,
I would like to know about it.

Also, how does Performer perform in relation to OpenInventor or
Inventor in terms of displaying 3D geometries and rendering
poly's?

Thanks,
Dave.
--

                                         world rejoiced.  Try to live your life
Medical Visualization Lab, Radiology,    so that when you die you will rejoice,

2. FlashPix Files

3. Speed of OpenGL programs

4. How to get the size of AGP memory?

5. How can i speed up my OpenGl program ?

6. JOB POSTING: Seeking Creative Animation Refugee!!!

7. Speed up OpenGL Program

8. Imageready?

9. speeding up OpenGL program

10. Speed difference using PovRay in Linux & Windows

11. POV: No speed difference display on/ display off !!???!!

12. Can anyone explain the BIG speed difference in Max Render Times at this site:

13. speed difference between wireframe and solid draw