3DFX ICDs

Post by MPF Hall-Ma » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I was wondering exactly how certain MiniGL drivers implemented OpenGL
instructions on 3DFX graphics boards. Does anybody have any details? I
have a Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee and would like to accelerate my
OpenGL projects.

3DFX ICDs

Post by Frans Boum » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I was wondering exactly how certain MiniGL drivers implemented OpenGL
> instructions on 3DFX graphics boards. Does anybody have any details? I
> have a Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee and would like to accelerate my
> OpenGL projects.

    afaik, the T&L code of the OpenGL pipeline is not present in minigl
    drivers. (nor glFog())

    so just rendering trianglestrips, textured or not, will do.
    but 3dfx has released full ICD's (minigl *is not an ICD) for their
    cards. perhaps you should take a look at these.

    FB

3DFX ICDs

Post by Shug » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    so just rendering trianglestrips, textured or not, will do.
>    but 3dfx has released full ICD's (minigl *is not an ICD) for their
>    cards. perhaps you should take a look at these.

There was some debate in quake newsgroups over the term ICD with reference
to voodoo2/1 cards. It was said that in windows GL implementation with it's
lack of support of secondary devices through a 'proper' ICD that any
secondary card (a la powerVR 1, voodoo's 1 and 2) cannot be said to have a
full ICD. Even when their drivers implement all functionality simply
because the windows interface does not count it as a full ICD.

(This can be an issue if you have a primary display card capable of decent
GL performance but also wish to use your voodoo SLI rig for something like
q2. yuou would have to manually (or with a utility) alter which driver was
counted as the full ICD each time).

hence the 'ICD' for voodoo's became somewhere in between an MCD and ICD.

This could of course be just syntactic hair splitting but was the rough
conclusion at the end.

--
Matt Hope

3DFX ICDs

Post by al » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

try news.3dfx.com  3dfx.opengl  for 3dfx based questions

someone had a web site with all the calls that are implemented I think it
was Ryan H....
Just found the link
http://members.home.com/borealis/opengl.html
http://members.home.com/borealis/opengl_minigl.html

the minigl is not a icd

3dfx has a "full opengl" driver which is in the latest reference drivers
but it is not suitable for using for opengl apps other than games

see this link http://members.home.com/borealis/opengl_usingq3.html

also if you do want to use full set of opengl calls try using mesa.
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~brianp/Mesa.html
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7220/

Quote:> I was wondering exactly how certain MiniGL drivers implemented OpenGL
> instructions on 3DFX graphics boards. Does anybody have any details? I
> have a Creative Labs Voodoo Banshee and would like to accelerate my
> OpenGL projects.

1. 3dfx ICDs vs other opengl implementations?

I'd like to let my users select from a drop-down menu of opengl
implementations: they could use the MS opengl32.dll if they have no card
on their system, or they could use whatever opengl has been installed, or
they could use a 3dfxgl.dll in the directory of the application, or they
could use the 3dnow! optimised 3dfxgl.dll.

If I'm using ms opengl32.dll, then to run a full-screen app I have to
create a window that is the size of the entire screen before creating a GL
context. But if I'm using 3dfxgl, then to run a full-screen app I have to
create a window that is 512x384 (or whatever) and clip the mouse so it can
only move inside this window.

Thus, depending on which opengl implementation the user has chosen, I must
have slightly different stuff in my own code.

Do opengl icds and minigls for other cards have the same behaviour as
3dfxgl? or as ms opengl32? or do they have different behavious? How should
I detect which paradigm to use depending on the user's selection of icd?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Lucian

--

2. HDI: create object Glows in max

3. How do ICDs work?

4. plugin prooblem

5. ICDs and MCDs

6. Filled lines

7. ATIs ICDs

8. Graphic Designer look for work.

9. DLLs and ICDs

10. GL ICDs for Win95/98

11. Request for help enumerating OpenGL ICDs

12. Request: for help listing OpenGL ICDs