OpenGL display from DEC to SGI.

Post by Maxim Totr » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

  Hi,
We would like to be able to display OpenGL windows from DEC machine to
an SGI screen. Unfortunately, due to some incompatibility glXUseXFont calls
lead to the crash of SGI X server. The problem is easy to reproduce: try
running standard sample program "font" which comes with opengl. If you
display to practically any SGI machine ( Indy...Onyx) from DEC, SGI will crash
after 2 or 3 runs ( it usually does run ok one first time, though). This problem
persists through the last few updates of DEC's Open3D and an upgrade of SGI from
5.2 to 5.3 . Recently one of our users was very upset about it. Since this group
is apparently read by makers of OpenGL for both platforms, maybe someone
here can figure out whos problem it is and fix it?
Thanks in advance,

Post by Andy » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>We would like to be able to display OpenGL windows from DEC machine to
>an SGI screen. Unfortunately, due to some incompatibility glXUseXFont calls
>lead to the crash of SGI X server. The problem is easy to reproduce: try
>running standard sample program "font" which comes with opengl. If you
>display to practically any SGI machine ( Indy...Onyx) from DEC, SGI will crash
>after 2 or 3 runs ( it usually does run ok one first time, though). This problem
>persists through the last few updates of DEC's Open3D and an upgrade of SGI from
>5.2 to 5.3 . Recently one of our users was very upset about it. Since this group
>is apparently read by makers of OpenGL for both platforms, maybe someone
>here can figure out whos problem it is and fix it?
>Thanks in advance,

Servers should never, ever crash. Any server crash should be reported
to the vendor of the server -- in this case SGI. Putting comments in news
groups is not generally considered to be `reporting bugs' -- you need to
use the vendor's procedures.

--
Andy V (A Digital spoke, not a Digital Spokesperson)

OpenGL display from DEC to SGI.

Post by Allen Ak » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Andy's absolutely correct.  Check with your SGI support person.
He or she will be able to get you the patch to fix the problem.

Allen

Post by Mr M J Dow » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

[...]

: --
: Andy V (A Digital spoke, not a Digital Spokesperson)

My X server (IRIX 5.3) crashes consistently and repeatably after about 20 runs
of my program. Everything is running on the one machine. I was of the belief
that I was at fault, but hadn't got around to looking into it (a
non-trivial task as I do not have a memory tracker). I will take your
statement literally, and report it as a bug to SGI.

Matt

Post by Mark Kilga » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:J Dowle) writes:

|> : Servers should never, ever crash. Any server crash should be reported
|> : to the vendor of the server -- in this case SGI. Putting comments in news
|> : groups is not generally considered to be `reporting bugs' -- you need to
|> : use the vendor's procedures.
|>
|> My X server (IRIX 5.3) crashes consistently and repeatably after about 20
|> runs
|> of my program. Everything is running on the one machine. I was of the belief
|> that I was at fault, but hadn't got around to looking into it (a
|> non-trivial task as I do not have a memory tracker). I will take your
|> statement literally, and report it as a bug to SGI.

I agree with Andy's sentiment that X server should never crash, unfortunately
they sometimes do because of bugs.

From what you describe, this is an SGI bug.

While I am not sure I have heard of this bug, you may find it fixed
in on of SGI's OpenGL patches.  Problems related to obscure memory
allocation bugs are fixed in this patch (it sounds like your problem
is such a problem).  You do not mention the SGI graphics
hardware involved.  For low-end SGI workstations, patch 926 is the
latest released OpenGL patch.  SGI customers on support can request
the patch.  For other SGI platforms, ask support about the latest
OpenGL patch number.

I hope this helps.

- Mark

1. DEC->SGI OpenGL display problem

  Hi,
I'm trying to display the OpenGL output of our application from DEC Alpha
machine to SGI. It works just fine locally on both platforms as well as from SGI
to DEC ( display on DEC, process on SGI ). But displaying on SGI from DEC causes
GLXBadContextTag error and nothing ever shows up in the window. Sometimes it
would even cause the Xsgi server to crash. I traced it down to glXUseXFont call:
without this call everything else works. I also found that the example program
xfont.c which comes with the OpenGL ( Open3D ) and contains that call also has
the same problem ( so it's not just me.. ). I hoped that the upgrade from Open3D
2.5 to 2.6 would fix this, but it didn't help. I'm not sure whom should i
contact, so i would appreciate if someone from DEC or SGI comments on this..
 Thanks in advance.

2. Help making COCAINE...

3. OpenGL display problems on SGI Fuel

4. I′m searching information about: global illumination

5. Displaying SGI/OpenGL app on Solaris/Mesa via SSH

6. JOBS: HT Medical - still looking

7. NT Workstation 3.51 as Display for SGI OpenGL?

8. Make a Spiral ?

9. Looking for Unix Kernel Device Driver for Dec VS2000 GPX (color display)

10. VIS-5D port to SUN, DEC, HP, IBM and SGI

11. Moddelling on SGI rendering on DEC?

12. PPRO, SGI, DEC compared!!!!