Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Nassim Bouayad-Ag » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:05:01

Hi again!
I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX support
but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...I've no idea on
how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append with
Win98...So,maybe I've got tree choices :
-Back to 98 :-)
-Change my video card (And I'm not sure that I'm not going to have
problems)...
-Find a solution(That seems to be hard).
I think that we can set a sort of FAQ about that problem because lots
of people have it, and, most of newsgroups posts say same things...
Thanks in advance.
Bouayad-agha Nassim

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by xeno » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 06:46:37

Dan C couldn't help but write:

>> Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
>> options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
>> acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
>> seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
>> win98?

> Sounds like things are hosed.  You may want to delete Windows and install
> Linux.  Things will work then.

TBH Linux is not (yet, hopefully) an option for gamers. While a lot of the
q3 based FPS's have native versions for linux, most other games dont. So if
the only purpose for you having a PC is running latest games on it, stay
with windows (btw, ppl installing win95 drivers on XP would be totally lost
;)).

greetings
xeno (who can finally run tmpgenc using winex3 8))
--
  .''`.
 : :' :

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Alex Mizrah » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:28:41

Hello, Dan!
You wrote  on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:10:04 -0500:

 >> Hi again!
 >> I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
 >> original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
 >> very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
 >> while i'm playing!
 >> Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
 >> options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
 >> acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
 >> seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
 >> win98?

 DC> Sounds like things are hosed.  You may want to delete Windows and
 DC> install
 DC> Linux.  Things will work then.

typically installing drivers for linux is _much_ more painful than for
windows.
_all_ machines i've seen didn't work properly, at least from start, this
says something, ye?

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Alex Mizrah » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:40:40

Hello, Nassim!
You wrote  on 26 Jun 2003 02:05:01 -0700:

 NBA> I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
 NBA> understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX
 NBA> support but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...

that's just some mysterious corruption of settings or some files, i think..

 NBA> I've no idea on how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append
 NBA> with Win98...So,maybe I've got tree choices :
 NBA> -Back to 98 :-)
 NBA> -Change my video card (And I'm not sure that I'm not going to have
 NBA> problems)...
 NBA> -Find a solution(That seems to be hard).

the solution that will work almost for sure - kompletely kill winxp and
reinstall it from scratch, then install drivers.
(btw, are you sure you have _nVIDIA_ GeForce? other vendors can have some
incompatible drivers, i've heard ASUS has some problems with it)..

 NBA> I think that we can set a sort of FAQ about that problem because
 NBA> lots of people have it, and, most of newsgroups posts say same
 NBA> things...

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Martin Eriksso » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:06:29

Quote:> Hi again!
> I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
> understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX support
> but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...

Not really. DirectX is theirs, OpenGL is not. It's all about money you
know...

Quote:> I've no idea on
> how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append with

What do you mean with "flickers problem"? Does the screen refresh in 60 Hz
instead of the rate you set it when on the desktop? In that case it's a
common nVidia problem and can be solved only by third-part utilities AFAIK.
RivaTuner is a good utility, but it takes some time to learn. To solve the
problem, you force the driver not to go under a certain refresh rate at any
time.

If you mean that the "flickering" is lack of vertical sync, ie you see a
"tearing" across the screen, you can force this again with RivaTuner. The
setting is under OpenGL and is called VSYNC.

Btw, there is a FAQ, although probably quite old since it's mainly for GF2
cards:

http://go.to/geforcefaq

/M