Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Nassim Bouayad-Ag » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:32:30

Hello everybody!
I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
with XP Pro and OpenGl.
When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
subsystem".
I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
lone, the 23.11....
I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
OpenGl.org....
Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
problems with win98).
My configuration :
Windows XP Pro.
ASUS A7V-KT133

30Gb HDD.
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
[...]
Thank you in advance.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by JB Wes » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:58:03

The current XP driver is 43.51 -- 23.11 is, like, very, very old.
I don't know what the "lastest OpenGl32.dll file from OpenGl.org" is, but
I can't imagine that it's the right one for your system.

Post by me » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:31:25

>Hello everybody!
>I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
>with XP Pro and OpenGl.
>When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
>Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
>subsystem".
>I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
>updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
>lone, the 23.11....
>I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
>original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
>My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
>OpenGl.org....
>Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
>problems with win98).
>My configuration :
>Windows XP Pro.
>ASUS A7V-KT133

>30Gb HDD.
>Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
>[...]
>Thank you in advance.

Nassim:

I just posted what you may need in ALT.BINARIES.MISC

It's 12 parts and I used WinRAR v3.20 to compress it and made each
file 1.4 megs

If you don't have (or don't know how to use) WinRAR let me know and I
can upload a self-extracting file set.

Lemme know if this works, ok?

[AGW] Duke

Post by me » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:31:35

>Hello everybody!
>I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
>with XP Pro and OpenGl.
>When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
>Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
>subsystem".
>I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
>updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
>lone, the 23.11....
>I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
>original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
>My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
>OpenGl.org....
>Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
>problems with win98).
>My configuration :
>Windows XP Pro.
>ASUS A7V-KT133

>30Gb HDD.
>Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
>[...]
>Thank you in advance.

NASSIM:  I forgot to mention that the title of my post is NASSIM:
DRIVERS FOR XP

That may help you find the files among the thousands

[AGW] Duke

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Martin Eriksso » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:29:41

Quote:> Hello everybody!
> I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having troubles
> with XP Pro and OpenGl.
> When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
> Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
> subsystem".
> I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the last
> lone, the 23.11....

The microsoft auto-update only supplies DirectX drivers, not OpenGL. To get
OpenGL (and DirectX) you have to download drivers from www.nvidia.com

Quote:> I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
> original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
> My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
> OpenGl.org....

You shouldn't have to download anything from OpenGL.org. Uninstall that DLL
file so it don't messes up the nVidia one.

Post by Martin Eriksso » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:32:55

> >Hello everybody!
> >I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having
troubles
> >with XP Pro and OpenGl.
> >When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
> >Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
> >subsystem".
> >I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> >updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the
last
> >lone, the 23.11....
> >I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
> >original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
> >My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file from
> >OpenGl.org....
> >Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
> >problems with win98).
> >My configuration :
> >Windows XP Pro.
> >ASUS A7V-KT133

> >30Gb HDD.
> >Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
> >[...]
> >Thank you in advance.

> NASSIM:  I forgot to mention that the title of my post is NASSIM:
> DRIVERS FOR XP

> That may help you find the files among the thousands

...or none, as many ISPs don't carry high-traffic binary newsgroups.

It is so much easier to post a link (and so much safer):

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_44.03

/M

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Nassim Bouayad-Ag » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:05:40

Hi,
Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
nothing.

For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
directory,as ever : nothing.

I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

Thank you for your support.

Bouayad-agha Nassim.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Martin Eriksso » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:22:54

Quote:> Hi,
> Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
> ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

> JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
> nothing.

> For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
> openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
> directory,as ever : nothing.

> I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
> that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
> also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

I recommend you uninstall everything opengl you have installed. You might
even want to reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

The only things you need for OpenGL support in Windows XP and with a GeForce
card are (verified on my wife's computer):
* Windows XP (preferably with SP1)
* nVidia drivers (12.41 is good for your card, but I bet 41.09 and 44.xx
also works nice)

And nothing else. With your system you don't need any motherboard drivers
either.

If any game is causing you trouble from now on, it's the game's fault and
not the drivers/os/hardware. See another thread mentioning removing a config
file in Quake3-engine-based games.

/M

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Alex Mizrah » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:35:39

Hello, Martin!
You wrote  on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:29:41 +0200:

 >> My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file
 >> from
 >> OpenGl.org....

 ME> You shouldn't have to download anything from OpenGL.org. Uninstall
 ME> that DLL file so it don't messes up the nVidia one.

there is no nVIDIA opengl32.dll
opengl32.dll goes with OS, it contains GDI Generic software OpenGL
implementation and code to work with OpenGL implementation found in
drivers(it looks in registry key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers for dll name
of a driver, for nVIDIA this dll is namded nvoglnt).
that opengl32.dll is os-specific, and if replaced with wrong version wierd
things should happen.

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.

Post by Stephen Smit » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:35:18

> > Hello everybody!
> > I'm really sad today because it's about two weeks that I'm having
> >troubles with XP Pro and OpenGl.
> > When I try to start Soldier of Fortune 2, Return to the Castle
> > Wolfenstein...I always get "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL
> > subsystem".
> > I've checked all forums, but I haven't got any working solution : I've
> > updated my graphical card's drivers with ALL detonators versions, the
> > last lone, the 23.11....
> > I've also updated my motherboard via chipset drivers...I've installed my
> > original video cards manufacturer drivers : always the same problem...
> > My Windows\system32 directory contains the lastest OpenGl32.dll file
> > from OpenGl.org....
> > Can anyone helps me?My card is definitly OpenGL compliant(I've got no
> > problems with win98).
> > My configuration :
> > Windows XP Pro.
> > ASUS A7V-KT133

> > 30Gb HDD.
> > Nvidia GeForce 2 MX440.
> > [...]
> > Thank you in advance.

> The current XP driver is 43.51 -- 23.11 is, like, very, very old.
> I don't know what the "lastest OpenGl32.dll file from OpenGl.org" is, but
> I can't imagine that it's the right one for your system.

<going at a tangent/slightly off-topic here but might be of interest>

I'd also like to add my 0.01 that 43.51 might cause grief with DVD playback
like how I discovered 44.03 does.

Yesterday I reinstalled PowerDVD 3 (reinstalled the 98SE partition of my PC
the other week and had forgot to put it back on with everything else) as I
wanted to watch a film.

I ran PowerDVD, clicked on the play button and some nonsense error popped up
claiming (I forget the exact wording now) that my "TV Out connector wasn't
working blah-blah, can't play your film".

What the heck?! That's a new one to me.

As I run my PC in 1600x1200 I full-well knew that the TV output selection in
the nVIDIA settings would be disabled (lo-and-behold, that was true) and I
wasn't even trying to WATCH the film on a TV!!

I did a bit of Googling and found out that these drivers, apparently, have
some form of extra Macrovision anti-copy protection in them, and as my video
card (Hercules 3D Prophet III GeForce3) unfortunately has a TV Out
connector, it's detecting the TV encoder chip and that's the reason it
fails. :-(

I could understand receiving the error *if* I was running in a more
'suspect' resolution (such as 640x480 or 800x600) *and* using the "TV"
output device instead of the default "Analogue Display".

Reluctantly, I uninstalled 44.03 and went back to 41.09.

Woo hoo! DVDs play again now and, fortunately, *Rayne still plays great!
:)

If there are any nVIDIA officials/driver developers lurking in these groups,
please please please take out whatever you've done to them. Like I have
said, I could appreciate the error message if I *were* using the TV Out, but
when it's plainly obvious that I'm wanting to watch a film on my monitor,
the error is just silly and inconvienient! :-(

Stephen.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Nassim Bouayad-Ag » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:40:59

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?
Thanks in advance.
Bouayad-agha Nassim.

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Martin Eriksso » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:39:36

Quote:> Hi again!
> I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
> original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
> very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
> while i'm playing!
> Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
> options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
> acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
> seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
> win98?

Hmm.. The last thing I can think of is that you search your hard drives and
remove ANY opengl32.dll file except the one in "C:\WINDOWS\System32".

Also check that this opengl32.dll (in system32) is produced by Microsoft
(right-click and select "properties" then "version")

/M

Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Post by Alex Mizrah » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 04:38:52

Hello, Martin!
You wrote  on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:39:36 +0200:

 ME> Also check that this opengl32.dll (in system32) is produced by
 ME> Microsoft (right-click and select "properties" then "version")

and has correct version (5.1.2600.0 for WinXP)

Post by Dan » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:10:04

> Hi again!
> I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
> original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
> very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
> while i'm playing!
> Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
> options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
> acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
> seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
> win98?

Sounds like things are hosed.  You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux.  Things will work then.

Post by Martin Eriksso » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:03:00

> > Hi again!
> > I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
> > original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
> > very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
> > while i'm playing!
> > Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
> > options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
> > acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
> > seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
> > win98?

> Sounds like things are hosed.  You may want to delete Windows and install
> Linux.  Things will work then.

Ah yes... but when I tried, all those "things" that were working, didn't
appeal to me =D