panning not smooth but why?

Post by jo » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:13:47

I have two computers.. one home with an nvidia  fx 5200 and one at
work(FX 5800). The cpu at work is 1.6 and while at home I have a 1.2.
So the machine at work should be the better of the two.

 I am running the same stuff on both machines.. visual c++ opengl,
glut and nvidia cards.

 Why is it that I can pan and zoom  in my programs smoothly (using
keystrokes or the mouse) on my home machine but the same  pans chatter
at work?

I looked at what else was running in the taskbar but nothing external
seems to be causing this.

Would this problem likely be in
a. the graphics driver? (I'm using the one that comes with my FX
cards)

b. glut32 or glut?

c. opengl?

Any ideas would be appreciated. If you know of some setting somewhere
that may cause such a thing I would really be thankful for that
information.

joe

panning not smooth but why?

Post by Jakob Bielin » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:22:20

> I have two computers.. one home with an nvidia  fx 5200 and one at
> work(FX 5800). The cpu at work is 1.6 and while at home I have a 1.2.
> So the machine at work should be the better of the two.

>  I am running the same stuff on both machines.. visual c++ opengl,
> glut and nvidia cards.

>  Why is it that I can pan and zoom  in my programs smoothly (using
> keystrokes or the mouse) on my home machine but the same  pans chatter
> at work?

> I looked at what else was running in the taskbar but nothing external
> seems to be causing this.

> Would this problem likely be in
> a. the graphics driver? (I'm using the one that comes with my FX
> cards)

> b. glut32 or glut?

> c. opengl?

> Any ideas would be appreciated. If you know of some setting somewhere
> that may cause such a thing I would really be thankful for that
> information.

    You might check the vertical sync setting (to be found in the display
properties somewhere). If it is not enabled, you might get 'tearing' of the
screen, which could be what you are experiencing on one machine. Enable it
on both and see what happens. Also, this will limit our framerate to the
refresh rate of your monitor. Not too good if you want to benchmark
something ;o)

hth
--
jb

(replace y with x if you want to reply by e-mail)

panning not smooth but why?

Post by jo » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:21:09

Thanks Jacob. That advice saved me in a previous situation but this
time the vertical sync is enabled on both.

joe dart

Post by Jakob Bielin » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 18:09:17

> Thanks Jacob. That advice saved me in a previous situation but this
> time the vertical sync is enabled on both.

    Hm, then check which OpenGL driver is used on both machines. Having a
good card is worth nothing if the drivers are not installed.Use glGetString
with GL_VENDOR and/or GL_RENDERER to find out if you have hardware
acceleration. Note that glGetString only works if you have created a
rendering context etc.

hth
--
jb

(replace y with x if you want to reply by e-mail)

1. Question about smoothing meshes (!not smoothing groups)

Does anyone know of any IPAS routines or techniques for smoothing meshes. I mean smoothing
the actual object, such as a fairly faceted face or something, so sharp corners are
rounded and such.

Oh, and I've been trying to figure out the plug-in Skin, but am not succeding too well.
So any comments, tips, whatever would be appreciated

-later

2. Moving a looping jogger thru a space

3. Why oh why can I not get PS 2.5 to open a .jpg file - hlp please

4. Alpha Blending Alorgithim

5. why not win98, why NT?

6. Türkiye ve 3dsMax !!!

7. Why RGB, why not RYB

8. My RiPatch joins are not smooth

9. Crop Tool not "smooth" at end

10. Stroked paths are not smooth in PS 4.0 (Question Clearer)

11. Stroked paths are not smooth in PS 4.0

12. Model's smoothing groups not displaying correctly after model was exported to .3DS