DEC->SGI OpenGL display problem

Post by Maxim Totr » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

  Hi,
I'm trying to display the OpenGL output of our application from DEC Alpha
machine to SGI. It works just fine locally on both platforms as well as from SGI
to DEC ( display on DEC, process on SGI ). But displaying on SGI from DEC causes
GLXBadContextTag error and nothing ever shows up in the window. Sometimes it
would even cause the Xsgi server to crash. I traced it down to glXUseXFont call:
without this call everything else works. I also found that the example program
xfont.c which comes with the OpenGL ( Open3D ) and contains that call also has
the same problem ( so it's not just me.. ). I hoped that the upgrade from Open3D
2.5 to 2.6 would fix this, but it didn't help. I'm not sure whom should i
contact, so i would appreciate if someone from DEC or SGI comments on this..
 Thanks in advance.

DEC->SGI OpenGL display problem

Post by Allen Ak » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I think John's right; I vaguely remember that there was a bug of
this sort in the SGI X server.  Are you running Irix 5.3?  If not,
you might want to upgrade.

Allen

Post by Maxim Totr » Thu, 03 Aug 1995 04:00:00

writes:
|> I think John's right; I vaguely remember that there was a bug of
|> this sort in the SGI X server.  Are you running Irix 5.3?  If not,
|> you might want to upgrade.
|>
|> Allen

I'm running 5.3 already..

Max.

Quote:Dennis) writes:

|> One thing you might try. On the SGI machine force protocol to be used by
|> running the client on one SGI node and setting the DISPLAY to another SGI
|> node. If this does not work then the SGI server is having trouble interpreting
|> same byte-sex protocol. If it works then the problem is likely in the
|> byte-swapping code of the SGI server. BTW, I don't think you can force
|> protocol rendering on SGI by setting the direct flag in glXCreateContext to
|> false. I've heard that SGI ignores this flag.

Thanks for your response. We did try remote display from one SGI to another - no
problem with glXUseXFont ( or any other ). Same with one DEC to another. It
happens only when SGI is a server and DEC a client.

DEC->SGI OpenGL display problem

Post by John R. Denn » Fri, 04 Aug 1995 04:00:00

John> One thing you might try. On the SGI machine force protocol to be used by
John> running the client on one SGI node and setting the DISPLAY to another
John> SGI node. If this does not work then the SGI server is having trouble
John> interpreting same byte-sex protocol. If it works then the problem is
John> likely in the byte-swapping code of the SGI server. BTW, I don't think
John> you can force protocol rendering on SGI by setting the direct flag in
John> glXCreateContext to false. I've heard that SGI ignores this flag.

Max> Thanks for your response. We did try remote display from one SGI to
Max> another - no problem with glXUseXFont ( or any other ). Same with one DEC
Max> to another. It happens only when SGI is a server and DEC a client.

Well, I think that nails it. The problem is in the byte swapping code of the
SGI X Server. You should file a bug report with SGI.

--
John Dennis - OpenGL Project Lead

1. OpenGL display from DEC to SGI.

  Hi,
We would like to be able to display OpenGL windows from DEC machine to
an SGI screen. Unfortunately, due to some incompatibility glXUseXFont calls
lead to the crash of SGI X server. The problem is easy to reproduce: try
running standard sample program "font" which comes with opengl. If you
display to practically any SGI machine ( Indy...Onyx) from DEC, SGI will crash
after 2 or 3 runs ( it usually does run ok one first time, though). This problem
persists through the last few updates of DEC's Open3D and an upgrade of SGI from
5.2 to 5.3 . Recently one of our users was very upset about it. Since this group
is apparently read by makers of OpenGL for both platforms, maybe someone
here can figure out whos problem it is and fix it?
Thanks in advance,

2. Compilare radiance

3. OpenGL display problems on SGI Fuel

4. Transparency in TMetafiles ???

5. Porting-Problem WIN-NT-OpenGL to SGI-IRIX-OpenGL

6. VALUE OF GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR CARDS FOR DOS JPEG-VIEWING ?

7. problem with DEC Alpha, OpenGL, and threads

8. making a thread

9. Porting-Problem WIN-NT-OpenGL to SGI-IRIX-OpenGL

10. OpenGL performance problems on DEC boards

11. Displaying SGI/OpenGL app on Solaris/Mesa via SSH

12. NT Workstation 3.51 as Display for SGI OpenGL?

13. Autocad Release 13 Display Problems/Irix 5.3/Sgi Indy