Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Post by Mirco Mülle » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Greetings OpenGL-gurus!

In which way can I determine the windows dimensions (width and height)
just by using the GL and GLU functions.

Ciao...

Mirco

Post by Steve Bake » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> In which way can I determine the windows dimensions (width and height)
> just by using the GL and GLU functions.

There isn't a way in OpenGL.

You should try to avoid GLU since it's not documented, not supported
and obsolete.

If (as usually recommended) you move from GLU to GLUT, there are
convenient glutGet functions to read the window dimensions.

--

Steve Baker                (817)619-2657 (Vox/Vox-Mail)
Raytheon Systems Inc.      (817)619-2466 (Fax)

Post by Michael I. Gol » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > In which way can I determine the windows dimensions (width and height)
> > just by using the GL and GLU functions.

> There isn't a way in OpenGL.

Correct, this is a window system issue.

Quote:> You should try to avoid GLU since it's not documented, not supported
> and obsolete.

???  Steve, did you forget your morning coffee?  GLU is well documented,
supported, and hardly obsolete.  Are you thinking of AUX?

Post by Steve Bake » Sun, 11 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > You should try to avoid GLU since it's not documented, not supported
> > and obsolete.

> ???  Steve, did you forget your morning coffee?  GLU is well documented,
> supported, and hardly obsolete.  Are you thinking of AUX?

Ooops!

I think people have been slipping me decaf since the last
bunch of flames on OpenGL-Gamedev.

Sorry:

   GLU - Fine! Great! Use it!
   AUX - Obsolete - don't use it!

However, GLU *won't* help you find the window dimensions.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1

Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Post by Brett Gladma » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

To determine the window dimensions, use GetSystemMetrics("flags") with
either SM_CXFULLSCREEN or SM_CYFULLSCREEN as your flag.
Note, this is only useful for fullscreen. For a windowed screen, you'll
have to check whatever helpfiles you have to determine which flags to use.

 Brett G

> Greetings OpenGL-gurus!

> In which way can I determine the windows dimensions (width and height)
> just by using the GL and GLU functions.

> Ciao...

> Mirco

Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Post by MKV - Joris Timmerman » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>   GLU - Fine! Great! Use it!
>   AUX - Obsolete - don't use it!

Ahum! One reason to use aux:
auxdibimageload WHOOHAH!
:)
(never used anything else btw;)

Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Post by Paul Mart » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>   AUX - Obsolete - don't use it!

>Ahum! One reason to use aux:
>auxdibimageload WHOOHAH!
>:)
>(never used anything else btw;)

If you have VC++, you can hack the DIBLOOK example program to do the
equivalent in under an hour's dedicated work. This will spare you from
having to use AUX.

   -Paul Martz
    Hewlett Packard Workstation Systems Lab
    To reply, remove "DONTSPAM" from email address.

Q: How is it possible to determine the window dimensions?

Post by Yunhong Zho » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm use unix and opengl. Did you know how to do it in unix? If what you
said can work for unix, what headfile do I need to include?

Thanks, I'm a newbie.

Yunnhong

> To determine the window dimensions, use GetSystemMetrics("flags") with
> either SM_CXFULLSCREEN or SM_CYFULLSCREEN as your flag.
> Note, this is only useful for fullscreen. For a windowed screen, you'll
> have to check whatever helpfiles you have to determine which flags to use.

>  Brett G

> > Greetings OpenGL-gurus!

> > In which way can I determine the windows dimensions (width and height)
> > just by using the GL and GLU functions.

> > Ciao...

> > Mirco

| Yunhong Zhou          | Jolley 539                      |
| 6340 Enright          | Dept. of Computer Science       |
| St.Louis, MO 63130    | Washington University           |
| 314-862-1728(H)       | 314-935-8501(O)                 |

1. determining image dimensions/resizing precisely

I have imported a number of JPEG images and then resized them using
Transform within their layers. Visually, they now appear as rectangular
boxes within beveled borders. However, since I sized them by eye, I can
tell they do not all have exactly the same x/y dimensions.

I there a way I can settle on one of the images as a model, read its
x/y dimensions, and then resize the others to match?

2. banners?

3. How to determine current window ?

4. * The Next Phase Of Development *

5. determining Window's screen coordinates of gl drawing

6. Help needed 3-D Projection User Interface Issues

7. Determine Color Mode (16, 256, 16k) of Windows

8. {HELP] Mouse point flickering and slowdown in rendering in Windwos

9. need crack please adobe dimensions 3.0 windows tank

10. Display Window Dimensions

11. Dimensions of GLUI Sub-windows

12. VC++ SDI window dimension

13. Presentation of 5 dimensions in Windows (and UNIX)